Author Topic: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS  (Read 198077 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #120 on: November 27, 2012, 04:31:36 PM »
This kind of fishing was banned in 1997 in Gambia and 2001 in Kenya. Are we seriously so far behind these countries?

Offline Shaun17

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1614
  • Cred: 262
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #121 on: November 27, 2012, 04:32:38 PM »
This kind of fishing was banned in 1997 in Gambia and 2001 in Kenya. Are we seriously so far behind these countries?


One word..... POLITICS

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #122 on: November 27, 2012, 04:41:02 PM »
A quote from a United Nations study on this type of fishing, PART OF THIS IS SPECIFIC TO THE DURBAN SEINE FISHERMEN -

The beach seine fishery at Durban was investigated from July 1993 to June 1994.
During this period, fishers completed 270 hauls on 146 days of operation. In total,
119 species of fish, as well as squid, cuttlefish and crabs, were recorded in the
catches. Most of these were shoaling species belonging to the families of ponyfishes
(Leiognathidae), anchovies (Engraulidae) and sardines (Clupeidae). Many species were
caught at sizes below their reported maturity.

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #123 on: November 30, 2012, 11:22:44 AM »
"This  catch of Garrick and has been reported to both the provincial (EKZNW) and  national (DAFF) authorities".

I am waiting to get the names of the representative of each of these organisations and then it becomes our responsibility to do something.

I'll advise soon regarding this and then it's UP TO US!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 11:23:29 AM by RobinF »

Offline CLS

  • Born to fish forced to work.
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1700
  • Cred: 114
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban - KZN
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #124 on: November 30, 2012, 04:13:53 PM »
RF, thanks a lot
A bad days fishing is better than sitting at home moping.

Offline CLS

  • Born to fish forced to work.
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1700
  • Cred: 114
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban - KZN
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #125 on: December 03, 2012, 12:23:12 PM »
The Seine netter are now using a trailer to get the rowing boat in the water, heard that the club don't tow their boats anymore.... photo of the seine netters boat the rowing boat and the rubber duck under cover only allowed to use it during the sardine run.....
Was at the club on Saturday and the tractor was towing their boat (took a pic as proof), heard they got a lot of sand soldiers and bay squid in the morning, I did not see it as they were already in when I went down.
A bad days fishing is better than sitting at home moping.

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #126 on: December 03, 2012, 01:11:02 PM »
I don't accept that the club can distance itself from them whilest they allow them to use their tractor. It's like condemning bank robbers whilest driving your car to assist them to get away.  I'll email the commodore Hilton today and tell him so. I am sure that I am not alone in this conclusion.

Offline Parasite

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 191
  • Cred: 22
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Waterfall
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #127 on: December 03, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
Going to be interesting to hear the response as I  read earlier on that they did not allow the netters use of the tractor, yet I witness it everytime I'm down there and the netters launch. To digress some-what, although he promoted that the club is totally against the development of the Small Craft Harbour, his name is there on the "dotted line"supporting it, just my pennies worth.

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #128 on: December 03, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
Can anyone steer me in the direction of where to get anti-poaching posters that display the relevant numbers?

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #129 on: December 03, 2012, 02:33:10 PM »
CLS - I want to thank you for this info. It's good to see someone doing something and keeping an eye out.

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #130 on: December 03, 2012, 02:55:54 PM »
Last week I called James Wood the responsible fisheries officer for the Vetches Beach/Pier area. He told me that he had been on leave and  it was advisable that I called someone else in his office regarding the Garrick catch. Obviouly they don't discuss issues and events at the fisheries department.  What is worse is that he stated "we need photo's to do something about this" "If people see illegal catches, they must take photo's and bring them to us." Now forgive me for drawing this conclusion, but is this not the same as reporting drug dealers on a street corner to the police only for them to tell you to photograph these guys first before they will act? I think it's gross apathy. In other words grossly pathetic interest in one's job and asking the public to put themselves in harms way to do his job for him.

If this is the attitude of the responsible fisheries officer, then this situation is worse than first thought. I'm collecting a load of info and I am going to publish the email address/es of senior person/s that we can email regarding this as unless we are prepared to go photograph these guys, it does not look like James Wood will be doing much about it.  I have to wonder just how much of the fisheries workload they are looking to 'offload' in the sake of having a nice relaxing day!

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #131 on: December 03, 2012, 05:19:35 PM »
YOU'RE ALL GOING TO WANT TO SEE MY NEXT POSTING! I had to read this email twice as I could not believe what I was reading. As soon as I have replied to it, I'll post it, stand-by.


Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #132 on: December 03, 2012, 05:52:34 PM »
This is the email from Shaun Lavery (Vice Commodore)

      Hi Robin.


 I have seen the comments on the forum and understand the  emotion around the Garrick issue. I would like to add that DSBC does not  condone these catches at all and In no way do we support this action.
 
Just a little history on the Seine netters and the tractor.  We (DBSC) have assisted the netters with the tractor since the 60’s and though  precedence have continued to do so. DSBC has always had non racial values and  has always encouraged sustainable fishing in the greater Durban area. We have  never become involved in the terms and conditions of their license as it is not  the duty of DSBC to monitor the catches.
 
I agree with a lot of the members on the forum but lots  of it is also hearsay and incorrect.  If  the public feel strongly about this the netters need to be taken to task and  legal action taken against them based on evidence compiled and submitted to the  appropriate authorities.
 
I was there when they pulled the net on Saturday morning  and saw the catch, what the gentleman failed to tell you is that the Parkies  were on the beach and saw the fish landed and I am sure would have taken action  if the catch did not fall under the terms and conditions of the license.  Instead a picture of the tractor gets taken, where do the priorities lie.
 
So to summaries:             

DBSC helps tow the boat to and from  the water though precedence.
We do not condone illegal catches.
Should the netters be charged and convicted of illegal catches we will  with immediate effect cut all ties with them.
DBSC does not assist with the catch.
We also do not assist with the transport of any fish caught in the net.
 
I hope this clears up the stand of the DSBC and puts the  tractor issue to bed.
 
I am going to chat to Morgan about the issue and hear  what he has to say about it as I have seen no evidence of the Garrick but did  make an effort to check the catch on Saturday.
 
Yours in sustainable and legal fishing.
 

 
Shaun Lavery
Dealer Support Manager(KZN & Eastern Cape)
 
 
Yamaha Distributors South Africa
Mobile: (+27) 82 6522111
Office:  (+27) 31  710 6400
 
www.yamaha.co.za
 
Hi Shaun,
 
The member of the forum never stated that there was  anything illegal in the catch and thus mention of the authorities was not  needed. The priorities are 100% correct Shaun. You are questioning one of the  member’s integrity by implying that since he saw nothing wrong with the catch  on Saturday, that him mentioning the tractor is mere ‘trouble-making’.  Let me assure you, that any assistance lent  to these netters is a concern to each and every one of us. I must just say that  your attempt to ‘put the tractor issue to bed’ has only highlighted it.
 
The tractor issue won’t go away while they use the  tractor and continue to make illegal catches. From what I have heard, Morgan is  not the type of person that is going to admit to catching a protected Species  and selling it off the back of a bakkie. Your efforts to unearth the truth may  be better rewarded by talking to Bruce Mann from ORI or someone like that. They  will tell you that this incident is being looked at by DAFF and EKZNW. The  commodore of your club knows about the Garrick catch, you may want to ask him.  The fact remains that the greater issue is the mindless slaughter of our  valuable resources and I for one have had enough. Any assistance lent to these  netters is and will always be deemed to be an accessory to the fact. I am not  one person that has this mindset there is a mass and once this issue hits  mainstream social media, it’s going to explode. This issue has been posted on  one site so far. It’s on the brink of going wide. 
 
This statement: “If the public feel strongly about this  the netters need to be taken to task and legal action taken against them based  on evidence compiled and submitted to the appropriate authorities”. Is the  exact statement made by James Wood. It is neither the public’s duty or responsibility  to police and photograph these illegal activities when the public is openly  threated by these netters. There are some that have risked it and will continue  to do so, but it is not their responsibility.
 
On your summary provided, there are a few comments which  I must make:   
 
DBSC helps tow the boat to and from the water though  precedence – Therefore the general fishing public will  continue to take issue with the DBSC as precedence is never an excuse in any  form. I hope that this precedence will serve you when this topic jumps up a few  hundred notches.
We do not condone illegal catches.
Should the netters be charged and convicted of illegal  catches we will with immediate effect cut all ties with them. – IOL news from 22 December 2011: “In recent weeks, he (Morgan  Subramoney) has had several confrontations with Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife  officials, who bust him for allegedly netting banned fish. It is also believed  Ezemvelo has recommended to the Department of Sea Fisheries that seine netting  be banned.”  So this has already  happened, so my question is, based on your statement – Are you going to  continue to allow them use of the tractor? You are the one that made the  statement, so I am asking the question, will you enforce your statement?  Somehow, I doubt it.
DBSC does not assist with the catch. – By pulling their boat ashore or to sea, the DBSC is lending  direct assistance to them.
We also do not assist with the transport of any fish  caught in the net. – Should so much as  one fish be in that boat that is pulled ashore, this statement made by you  would be incorrect?
 
 
Regards
Robin
 

Offline 2bar.boost

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 273
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Teown
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #133 on: December 03, 2012, 06:57:30 PM »
 (clap) (clap) (clap) (bat

Offline CLS

  • Born to fish forced to work.
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1700
  • Cred: 114
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban - KZN
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #134 on: December 04, 2012, 01:48:39 PM »
Thanks for the reply Shaun now we know we the club fits in. I did not go down to the club to check on the netters I went for breakfast and observed the tractor pulling the netters boat and was under the assumption the club did not assist. I would like to state that I have nothing against the netters except if they are breaking the law. Unfortunatly as I have said before the club is seen to be involved as the netters share premises and are assisted by the club. If I see anything illegal, believe me I will take photos. All I hope is the netters stay within the law and can be there for many years to come as they are part of Durban.
Tight lines.
A bad days fishing is better than sitting at home moping.

Offline Shaun17

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1614
  • Cred: 262
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #135 on: December 04, 2012, 02:18:41 PM »
Just so everyone knows... it's not this Shaun  pce

Offline dugong

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1676
  • Cred: 54
  • Location: Durban - Warmwater country!!
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #136 on: December 04, 2012, 02:23:53 PM »
Thanks for the reply Shaun now we know we the club fits in. I did not go down to the club to check on the netters I went for breakfast and observed the tractor pulling the netters boat and was under the assumption the club did not assist. I would like to state that I have nothing against the netters except if they are breaking the law. Unfortunatly as I have said before the club is seen to be involved as the netters share premises and are assisted by the club. If I see anything illegal, believe me I will take photos. All I hope is the netters stay within the law and can be there for many years to come as they are part of Durban.
Tight lines.

Agree 100%
Just Fish!!!

Offline Happy Dog

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 596
  • Cred: 78
  • Gender: Male
  • It is called Fishing and not catching
  • Location: Kloof KZN
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #137 on: December 04, 2012, 02:26:17 PM »
Agree with CLS.
Quick one Shaun

Offline eric cotton

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #138 on: December 05, 2012, 06:24:42 AM »
I agree with CLS,

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #139 on: December 05, 2012, 06:46:26 AM »
I do not agree with you guys at all....... I would be happy if those netters are gone for ever. They have plundered to much already and IMO their time is up and they must move on. They have broken the law too many times and gotten away with it.
 
As for DSBC shame on them for even assisting in any way, to me this makes the club just as guilty as the netters.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal