Author Topic: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS  (Read 198020 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline PH

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2492
  • Cred: 259
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pringle Bay
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #140 on: December 05, 2012, 06:50:06 AM »
I think one of the points RobinF is trying to make is that the excuse/reason for issuing the permit is that its based on tradition - which should no longer be relevant.
We civilise left,  we civilise right
Till nothing is left and nothing is right
"Paint your wagon"

Offline Parasite

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 191
  • Cred: 22
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Waterfall
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #141 on: December 05, 2012, 07:19:14 AM »
If it were all not so tradgic it would be a joke. This year was the worst in years the beachfront paddle fishermen have experienced. Governed and restricted by the distance and area that may be fish the fishing was extremely poor, we found a huge abundence od skate and sharks, including some very large ones within the off shore shark nets, snoek and shoal couta were vertually non-existant, and we put it down to the netters who had on numerous occassions brought in nets fuul of snoek and the other. Nets full of small shad were  discarded onto the beach and thrown back into the water. Divers reported huge amounts of dead shad were all over including under the nets where they were "trapped"due to the sand movement. Our chaiman, a true soldier who has influential contacks was at his wits end reporting these transgressions. The authorities were not supportive to say the least and always seemed to have some reason or the other as to why they could not catch them. There were comments thrown around by the netters who openly stated that they had protection from within the government through their contacts. It is a crusade that we must never give up, I for one often write letters to the media, which only one was published, neatly edited, without the photos being published to verify my allegations.

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #142 on: December 05, 2012, 07:32:40 AM »
I agree 100% with Fishing Adventures and PH, you are right.

Parasite, not to detract from the other posts, but your post is so valid. I have heard from so many people phoning me even from Gauteng stating the self same thing. Man, you so hit the nail on the head.

I think that a lot of the Ski Boat club guys that initially came out quite strongly, who frequent the club a lot, now have the club's management breathing down their necks and call it what you want, it amounts to passive intimidation and that is why you will see their stance softening over this. Again, it paints the club in a bad light. think about it, I know for a fact that the club management jumped onto the viewing of this topic and all of a sudden the stance softens? The numbers add up.

   

Offline nizaam

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 31
  • Cred: 0
  • Location: durban kzn
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #143 on: December 05, 2012, 08:12:08 AM »
hi all
what i would like to know is, why should the public be responsible to notify authorities of illegal catches?
should they not be present to regulate and oversee what these idiots haul out? every sector controlled by government is a joke take everything from u but gives nothing back.

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #144 on: December 05, 2012, 08:14:10 AM »
hi all
what i would like to know is, why should the public be responsible to notify authorities of illegal catches?
should they not be present to regulate and oversee what these idiots haul out? every sector controlled by government is a joke take everything from u but gives nothing back.
Because its our duty as responsible citizens, and in our own best interests. Evil prevails because good men do nothing.

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #145 on: December 05, 2012, 08:25:47 AM »
Nizaam,

Fishing adventures is 100% correct. BUT - I also share your sentiments. I think it's a disgrace that when I called James Wood (The Fisheries Officer for the Vetches area) he told me that the public must bring photo's of these catches so that they can do something. Then you will read all about how the public are threatened when they do take the photo's.

You have to wonder what is 'really' going on.

hi all
what i would like to know is, why should the public be responsible to notify authorities of illegal catches?
should they not be present to regulate and oversee what these idiots haul out? every sector controlled by government is a joke take everything from u but gives nothing back.

Offline dugong

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1676
  • Cred: 54
  • Location: Durban - Warmwater country!!
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #146 on: December 05, 2012, 09:21:48 AM »
I agree 100% with Fishing Adventures and PH, you are right.

Parasite, not to detract from the other posts, but your post is so valid. I have heard from so many people phoning me even from Gauteng stating the self same thing. Man, you so hit the nail on the head.

I think that a lot of the Ski Boat club guys that initially came out quite strongly, who frequent the club a lot, now have the club's management breathing down their necks and call it what you want, it amounts to passive intimidation and that is why you will see their stance softening over this. Again, it paints the club in a bad light. think about it, I know for a fact that the club management jumped onto the viewing of this topic and all of a sudden the stance softens? The numbers add up.

 
Sorry to say, but I really think that if you knew me you woulden't make such a generalised statement. Have you been to DSBC/Vetchs beach??
FYI - The management/board of DSBC has in the past BANNED THEIR OWN MEMBERS for flouting the law wrt catch restrictions (geelbek quotas and selling catch)
To put you in the picture, I have been a member of the Paddle Ski Club/DUC/DSBC for 26 years(some of the pictures on the board at the Paddle Ski Club were taken by me 25 years ago, including some taken the same day as that kingies pic)
I know the sein netters f#*k up quite well!!
Just Fish!!!

Offline Toppie

  • RIP Toppie. What a great man. You will always be an
  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1823
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #147 on: December 05, 2012, 09:25:03 AM »
The DSBC should not in no way assist these netters with their onging immoral and clearly illegal activities. There is enough evidence on this thread allready to prove that the netters are acting wilfully beyond the mandate of their license and permit. By implication the DSBC looking the other way while actively assisting them to launch their vessel, the DSBC are as guilty of wrong-doing as the netters are.
 
The DSBC have been jumping from one to another position trying to exonerate itself. Dear Mr Commodore, just look at the pictures on this thread, and speak to club members who are too well aware of the unethical and illegal activities of these netters. Exactly how much proof do you need?
 
In an earlier communication/statement the DSBC explained their historical involvement and assistance to the netters. Dunno why you laboured your views on your non-racial policy, nobody accused you of being racist, but plundering remains plundering no matter what race group is committing it.
 
The concession owner also doesnt appear lacking of anything and previously disadvantaged, as by all accounts he is a well made man as a result of this plundering which you so generously assist and turn a blind eye to.
 
An extract of your initial reaction to the criticism of the plundering and your assistance with their boat in which you stated they now launch their own boat:
 
"5. Historically we have helped launch and retrieve their banana boats using a club tractor. Of late they have built their own beach trailer in order to protect the bottom of their craft when dragged along the beach. This they now pull with their own Landrover."
 
 
And then Mr Lavery's reaction now since it emerged that nothing has changed and the DSBC still launches their boat:
 
 
This is the email from Shaun Lavery (Vice Commodore)

     
Just a little history on the Seine netters and the tractor.  We (DBSC) have assisted the netters with the tractor since the 60’s and though  precedence have continued to do so. DSBC has always had non racial values and  has always encouraged sustainable fishing in the greater Durban area. We have  never become involved in the terms and conditions of their license as it is not  the duty of DSBC to monitor the catches.
 
Yours in sustainable and legal fishing.
 
Shaun Lavery
Dealer Support Manager(KZN & Eastern Cape)
 
Yamaha Distributors South Africa
Mobile: (+27) 82 6522111
Office:  (+27) 31  710 6400
 
www.yamaha.co.za
 

Clearly this is not "sustainable" fishing practise and the DSBC would do well to take a closer look at the activity of the netters. It is not good enough that you look the other way while there is sufficient evidince that these people are busy raping the water right under/in front your noses, and the DSBC clearly aiding abetting them in the process.
 
Our ethos is to preserve and conserve the resources of our oceans and I have great respect for the DSBC and am sure that your esteemed club would not be happy with these circumstances and state of affairs.
"Everything will be good in the end" - so it cant be the end yet!

Offline Shaun17

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1614
  • Cred: 262
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #148 on: December 05, 2012, 09:26:58 AM »
I agree 100% with Fishing Adventures and PH, you are right.

Parasite, not to detract from the other posts, but your post is so valid. I have heard from so many people phoning me even from Gauteng stating the self same thing. Man, you so hit the nail on the head.

I think that a lot of the Ski Boat club guys that initially came out quite strongly, who frequent the club a lot, now have the club's management breathing down their necks and call it what you want, it amounts to passive intimidation and that is why you will see their stance softening over this. Again, it paints the club in a bad light. think about it, I know for a fact that the club management jumped onto the viewing of this topic and all of a sudden the stance softens? The numbers add up.

 
Robin, i'd advise against making assumptions like that. I came out strongly and remain opposed to the manner in which the Seine Netters conduct their business. I cant speak for any of the other DSBC members, but for me personally nobody has "passively influenced" me. Your efforts are to be commended, but perhaps you should focus a little less on the DSBC and more on the actual problem at hand.

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #149 on: December 05, 2012, 10:09:31 AM »
Hi Dugongboy,

I apologise (To you and any other members that I offended) for making the statement so generalised, it was incorrect on my part and I apologise if I offended anyone. I was quoting info that was given to me, but granted that this could be 'heresay'. I just acted on what I was told. So I apologise.

Yes, I have been to Vetches.

The pictures irrespective of when they were taken serve as photographic proof of catches made. I never said they were taken yesterday, nor did I imply so.

Regards
Robin

I agree 100% with Fishing Adventures and PH, you are right.

Parasite, not to detract from the other posts, but your post is so valid. I have heard from so many people phoning me even from Gauteng stating the self same thing. Man, you so hit the nail on the head.

I think that a lot of the Ski Boat club guys that initially came out quite strongly, who frequent the club a lot, now have the club's management breathing down their necks and call it what you want, it amounts to passive intimidation and that is why you will see their stance softening over this. Again, it paints the club in a bad light. think about it, I know for a fact that the club management jumped onto the viewing of this topic and all of a sudden the stance softens? The numbers add up.

 
Sorry to say, but I really think that if you knew me you woulden't make such a generalised statement. Have you been to DSBC/Vetchs beach??
FYI - The management/board of DSBC has in the past BANNED THEIR OWN MEMBERS for flouting the law wrt catch restrictions (geelbek quotas and selling catch)
To put you in the picture, I have been a member of the Paddle Ski Club/DUC/DSBC for 26 years(some of the pictures on the board at the Paddle Ski Club were taken by me 25 years ago, including some taken the same day as that kingies pic)
I know the sein netters f#*k up quite well!!

Offline CLS

  • Born to fish forced to work.
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1700
  • Cred: 114
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban - KZN
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #150 on: December 05, 2012, 01:06:59 PM »
Hi Dugongboy,

I apologise (To you and any other members that I offended) for making the statement so generalised, it was incorrect on my part and I apologise if I offended anyone. I was quoting info that was given to me, but granted that this could be 'heresay'. I just acted on what I was told. So I apologise.

Yes, I have been to Vetches.

The pictures irrespective of when they were taken serve as photographic proof of catches made. I never said they were taken yesterday, nor did I imply so.

Regards
Robin


 
Hi RobinF, I am fully behind this and have not been approched by anyone, as suggested lets leave the club out of it till we get some positive proof. It would be interesting to know what info you were given, PM me if you wish
A bad days fishing is better than sitting at home moping.

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #151 on: February 01, 2013, 05:40:58 PM »
Did anyone see this: these guys bagged thousands of snoek on Monday,   Wednesday and again on Thursday AND I have a credible report that they   used their Rubber Duck today (Which is illegal to use).

Offline CLS

  • Born to fish forced to work.
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1700
  • Cred: 114
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban - KZN
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #152 on: February 01, 2013, 08:24:15 PM »
I am fishing tomorrow will ask the tractor drivers.
A bad days fishing is better than sitting at home moping.

Offline Parasite

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 191
  • Cred: 22
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Waterfall
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #153 on: February 04, 2013, 06:48:27 AM »
Yep, they did net the snoek. Almost 3000 fish. Used the Rubber Duck too. Guys from the club said the Duck launched from the Harbour, came out, and went back in when completed. They contacted Johnny from DPSC who contacted the Parkies and ORI.
Guy at work who is some how related to the netters told me that the fish are netted, packed and exported. Said they have no fear for the Parkies as they get paid off. Again this info is hearsay and I cannot confirm it as the truth.

Offline ErnieH

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 5
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban KZN
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #154 on: February 04, 2013, 07:31:49 AM »
Heard they got lots of snoek last week and were out with a rubber duck and f/finder....Parkies were called but don't know the result of that, if any...
E
Leave only your footprints behind....

Offline CLS

  • Born to fish forced to work.
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1700
  • Cred: 114
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban - KZN
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #155 on: February 04, 2013, 07:51:01 AM »
 :blush: Sorry didnt ask the drivers what happened, but by the sounds of things it did happen and was reported. Be interesting to find out the outcome if any.
A bad days fishing is better than sitting at home moping.

Offline HooknCook

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 297
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Natal
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #156 on: February 04, 2013, 07:51:35 AM »
I think it is about time the boys from DSBC get together and confront this useless idiot in a pack and film the whole thing happening and then submit this to Authorities and if nothing happens then onto Carte Blanche........... When he gets aggressive then he just gets issued a very very nice flatty...... I doubt he will if there are 20-30 guys.....


It cannot be hard to obtain whether he launched from the harbour or not......this is totally off sides as well....


Come on Oke's, you can't let him rape the ocean like he is doing with total disregard for rules and regulations......l


If the okes need manpower I am sure we can get a group together and put him in his place......

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #157 on: February 04, 2013, 08:13:36 AM »
The thing is that this guy keeps doing this. He's a creature of habit.

After the Garrick blow-up, he went silent. I was waiting to see what he was about and now I know. The fact is that is enough guys stand up, something will happen. I'm in Cape Town so I'm a little 'handicapped'. That does not change the fact that I am going to cause a storm over this.

What we now know is that this guy is going to continue to transgress and should have his lic revoked and because of him, we should see all Seinne Netters looked at. 

The bigger picture right now is did the authorities do anything. That is where my interest lies right now. Once I know that info, I'm going to put pen to paper and start bombarding. And I am going to take this to Cart Blanche now (Once I have the facts). Even if they blow me off, this is where Morgan screws himself - He keeps shoving ammo down our throats. He is providing so much info, eventually Carte Blanch will investigate it.

Now, you will see Morgan go quiet for a few months again after this, but he'll be back and then we must act again. ANy ionfo is useful guys, so please post it, it will help me.

He won't get away with this forever and if he's paying the Parkies, this will blow this out of the park - excuse the pun.

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #158 on: February 05, 2013, 05:23:43 PM »
So what I know is that apparently they used their banana boat for three days (Monday, Wednesday and Thursday). Then on Friday they launched the motorised duck. Calls were made and while the Parkies were in transit, Morgan frantically recalled his boat, and pulled it out the water. Interesting.....so what we know is that he does have an insider and he is prepared to use the duck whenever he can.

I find it interesting that I and a few others have sent emails to Ken Morty of the EKZNW enquiring about a few issues. It's disappointing that Ken Morty, second in charge to the General Manager, never replies to any emails. We sent emails in dec and this week and still no reply. Is he just out of his depth? Is he afraid? Why is he hiding? What does he have to gain by preventing us from getting information when I thought we were standing for the same cause. (The restoration and welfare of our marine resources)

There is an issue from December where the Seinne Netters netted 9 large Garrick. They duly notified the EKZNW who then collect the fish and put them in the 'freezer'. So, all we want to know from Ken Morty is what happened. Did the fish die in the net? If not, why were they not released? And are they still in the freezer? These questions were posed to Ken Morty in December already. I don't think that it is difficult to answer, yet Ken Morty feels himself above everyone. No wonder the Netters feel immune, when the second in charge of the EKZNW marine 'protects' the netters by not giving us answers.

I now know why what should be straight forward, is such a struggle.  Well done to Ken Morty for protecting the Seinne Netters and their dubious activities.   

Offline travelmember

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 663
  • Cred: 49
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town Western Cape
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #159 on: February 05, 2013, 06:12:01 PM »
RobinF, I am sure your motives are honourable and I applaud your stance. However, in my opinion you are going about this the wrong way.
I believe you would be better served by joining a like minded club that has members that sit on boards that are involved in this. You would register as an interested and affected party and would then be in a position to utilise the correct (and existing) channels to register your concerns.
There are a number of people within DAFF who liase with EKZNW on these matters and who are responsible for policy setting and adherence.
Unfortunately some of the EKZNW staff have neither the time, nor inclination, nor permission to answer each and every query. Hence the routing of the information is key.


Why not contact Hope at <RECRFISH@nda.agric.za> and ask for the equivalent position in KZN. That would be a point of contact.


Then ask Cary at RFA (recreationalfishingservices.co.za) how you can help.


To accuse someone without all the relevant information will not get you the audience you seek.


But that is just my opinion.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal