Author Topic: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS  (Read 197978 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Marthin

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1257
  • Cred: 45
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town South Africa
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2012, 02:00:44 PM »
Seven a year ago when people finally decided to phone MCM/DAFF regarding what recreationals were up to at melkbos, they caught 1 guy with 43 steenbras.... and others with round 20, some ran for the hills, with dead fish washing up till down by the slipway.  Rough estimates have it that 200 steenbras were killed in one sitting.

6 months later the trekkers pulled in a net off sonwabi with 100 steenbras in... All of them were released.  They are not allowed to catch steenbras, as their quota is the same as a commercial linefisherman, and steenbras is a no sale species.
Men... what lies ahead on that beach... IMMORTALITY.... TAKE IT IT"S YOURS!!!!!!

Offline CLS

  • Born to fish forced to work.
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1700
  • Cred: 114
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban - KZN
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2012, 02:24:58 PM »
Nooit Chigger my cuzi, all the land below the high water mark belongs to the state, or the people of SA, the land above the high water mark belongs to the Durban Metro leased to the clubs. The high water mark is at the beach boundry of the club front area. Don't want to hijack this thread but hence the fight between us and the city/developers on construction of Small Craft Harbour. Enough said. My humble aspologies to all.
We need to meet and have a beer sometime  :beer:
A bad days fishing is better than sitting at home moping.

Offline Seventenths

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1454
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Treat people the way you would like to be treated!
  • Location: Agulhas/DRC
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2012, 02:58:25 PM »
Marthin, I am not condeming all commercials or activity but last year I watched the trekkers pull in about 12t of yellowtail all in roe, in amongst them were at least 20 steenbras - not one went back in the water. They all went home, the dont necesarily sell them but the still harvested. I dont care if it recreationals or commercials... it's wrong. Take to eat is fine but we know these species are under threat.

An not all trekkers have bad practices.

Just think there is a lack of equality in applying the laws. Wrt to the thread at hand, it's difficult but education is the only way. The club is not in the wrong but can possibly look and positive input/feedback to the netters - this is always easier said than done.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 03:01:07 PM by Seventenths »

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2012, 03:14:48 PM »
I had a long discussion with Hilton, the club commodore. He says that eh will issue a statement for publication regarding this in due course. The jist of it is that the club has NO affiliation to these guys at all and have crossed swords with the new owner of the netting business. Note: I said new. Apparantly, this new owner has taken it upon himself to start new fishing practices that are outside of the law. We need to stand together as one, with one voice and do something about these guys. Hilton said that if the support was enough, they would have a very viable argument regarding these netters illegal practices. We'll have to wait for him to publish his statement to get all the info.

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2012, 03:15:25 PM »
Very good post.

Marthin, I am not condeming all commercials or activity but last year I watched the trekkers pull in about 12t of yellowtail all in roe, in amongst them were at least 20 steenbras - not one went back in the water. They all went home, the dont necesarily sell them but the still harvested. I dont care if it recreationals or commercials... it's wrong. Take to eat is fine but we know these species are under threat.

An not all trekkers have bad practices.

Just think there is a lack of equality in applying the laws. Wrt to the thread at hand, it's difficult but education is the only way. The club is not in the wrong but can possibly look and positive input/feedback to the netters - this is always easier said than done.

Offline Marthin

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1257
  • Cred: 45
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town South Africa
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2012, 03:45:07 PM »
Seven, it is not often that that they trekkers have that kind of oppertunity, any person with a boat can drive to where the fish are, they have to wait and hope the tail sometime get into netting distance....

As for the durban scenario.... the trekkers got so much bad press round cape town, and sometimes continue to do so deservedly or not, that the owners took it upon themselves to at least police it better, as well as try and change the image of mindless slaughter.... as i said the cape town chaps could easily keep the bronzies and sell the fins for a handsome profit, but weighed up to the cost of someone taking pictures of them hacking off the tail and then the fins and then the head, they have just decided to release them.  I know they sometimes keep a flatfish, but that doesnt bother me much as the local pick&pay also sells skate wings.

Keep on giving them bad press.
Men... what lies ahead on that beach... IMMORTALITY.... TAKE IT IT"S YOURS!!!!!!

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2012, 03:50:18 PM »
I should also mention that the Commodore from the DSBC (Durban) confirmed that it was not 55 Garrick that were netted, it was considerably more!

Offline Marthin

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1257
  • Cred: 45
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town South Africa
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2012, 03:55:57 PM »
What is their allowable bycatch on their quotas?
Men... what lies ahead on that beach... IMMORTALITY.... TAKE IT IT"S YOURS!!!!!!

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2012, 04:04:20 PM »
I don't know, but it was not more than 55 Garrick and if the IOL article on page 3 of this thread is correct (look for the URL posted by MichaelK, they may not net Garrick at all, and THAT is the problem. Check it out.

Offline Chigger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 547
  • Cred: 26
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2012, 04:17:43 PM »
Oh, and yes we are all entitled to a living, an honest living. However, if this kind of activity (As Parasite has shown) is approved of, then how dare we appose Rhino poaching or whaling or the slaughter of Elephants.

@Robinf my point on this is we are many eyes and ears, without evidence we can stand on our heads and bark like dogs its all just talk. The law must be laid down and up held......by all of us. No one is condoning poaching. The one thing that worries me is that if these allegations are not proven with fact they come across as single sided and "elitist", and who will loose that argument? We need to make it known that we all have a stake in the well being of or resources, and we are all policing that resource. Unfortunately Parasite has already tasted the raw end of that deal, but at the same time has created awareness, we need to back him up with fact.

What i cant understand is why every one knows of the Garrick but no one has got pictures to use as evidence?

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2012, 04:23:27 PM »
I dont get it... I just heard NEW owner for that license........ so bang goes the theory of traditional fishing if I understand correctly.

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2012, 04:27:51 PM »
Chigger, I don't think people are out there looking to photograph these guys. I understand the need for proof, but as we dig, witnesses will come out of the woodwork. The fact is that a photo is not the only means of evidence, witnesses matter too. People did see this incident and have spoken about it. Esp if these netters act aggresively and threaten people, they will be fearful to photo this. That is why a reporter is so important, they carry a certain amount of punch with them.

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2012, 04:34:22 PM »
What I was told today was that Morgan Subramoney is the new owner, the same guy that made comments on the IOL report. I've also been told that the owner (not sure if that would be Morgan Subramoney) is very quick to pull out a firearm and threaten people. That is what I have been told. There is nothing traditional about this fishing. The fact is that we used to use lead based paint, leaded petrol, in the 70's everyone smoked, we used to kill sharks (Great Whites included) for sport, I could go on, but my point is that we evolve and so does society. Tradition is using an old rowing boat and not using a Land Rover to launch your banana boat to catch your fish.

I dont get it... I just heard NEW owner for that license........ so bang goes the theory of traditional fishing if I understand correctly.

Offline Chigger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 547
  • Cred: 26
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2012, 04:37:05 PM »
Robinf agreed ........as I said "may eyes and ears". We will make this rubbish stop, they cant threaten everyone.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 04:41:10 PM by Chigger »

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2012, 04:51:16 PM »
Fishing Adventures, I don't have to tell you that these guys will use everything to hide behind to justify their illegal actions and justify why they do what they do....AND I was also told that Mr. Morgan Subramoney drives a certain luxury 4x4. Surprised? I didn't think so.

 
I dont get it... I just heard NEW owner for that license........ so bang goes the theory of traditional fishing if I understand correctly.

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2012, 05:13:24 PM »
I'm going to call the reporter that did the previous reporting on this situation, and see if he knows about it. See if he's keen to revisit what looks like a very good story.

These guys also smashed something like 300 Snoek recently? Something must be done!

Offline AQUAFAN

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 103
  • Gender: Male
  • Work hard - fish harder!!
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2012, 06:23:02 PM »
Anybody got a contact at Carte Blanche? They would set things straight with these guys!

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2012, 06:41:33 PM »
Someone is going to react to this, and the minute one of us get threatened, it's a go for a programme like Carte Blanche. It's the motivation that Carte Blanche need to justify a story. I believe from other members that they use threats as one way to gain an edge. Let's shake the tree and see what falls out. I have no enemies, so if I suddenly aquire a few, then we know. They cannot be very smart, so let's see if they waltz right through the door.

I know of one member that was threatened previously, so let's see. And for the members that are silent out of fear, it's ok, reading this is giving your support.

The fact is that within 24hrs, I have discovered that there is a barrage of voices most of whom are not yet vocal that will stand up and stop these guys.

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2012, 06:57:29 PM »
I emailed another major player in the drive to save our resources and his response was:
    Unfortunately I have no evidence of  the catch. Just what I was told by someone who saw them.
I have been fighting this for many  years and the only way for the authorities to ban them is for us to provide  photographic evidence of any trangressions. The authorities are reluctant to  take action as this issue will be politicized and the race issue will come in.  They will need strong evidence for them to take any action. We need to ask  people to carry cameras whenever in the area and not be afraid to take pictures  and report them immediately on the anti-poaching hotline 083 380 6296.
 


Offline tmilner13

  • Tim
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 77
  • Cred: 15
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Kaapstad, Southern Suburbs
Re: SEINE NETTERS AND CATCHERS
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2012, 07:04:39 PM »
its the same as the black rubber ducks leaving hout bay slipway everynight at 5pm,


PITCH black boat , two okes and 5pm at night...... ja



finally got that YFT now for the YFT on a jig!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal