0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Quote from: RobinF on November 20, 2012, 04:30:53 PMSomeone in Kzn must find a conservation minded reporter and see if they will look into it. The sooner that this gets exposed the better. If the DSBC is part of this, they should be brought into the light and shown for their part in this. I swear if I was not in CT, I'd gladly get onto it. Ask the department of fisheries to look into it, someone must do something. If the DSBC have any involvement in this at all, the head of that club should be held accountable. Calm down a bit their bud. The club has nothing to do with this story. They just so happen to be close to one another and you go thru the same gate to get to the two of them. Before I forget you go thru the same gate to get to DUC and PYT . The club is now being mentioned just because they next to each other and that IS NOT RIGHT.The matter of the netters has been tackled before many times and they still their. This matter has been taken to the so called right people before. And if they are doing something I dont know.
Someone in Kzn must find a conservation minded reporter and see if they will look into it. The sooner that this gets exposed the better. If the DSBC is part of this, they should be brought into the light and shown for their part in this. I swear if I was not in CT, I'd gladly get onto it. Ask the department of fisheries to look into it, someone must do something. If the DSBC have any involvement in this at all, the head of that club should be held accountable.
The bottom line is, and I think this is what Robin is getting at, is people need to start taking responsibility for these "poachers" and taking matters into their own hands, the days are gone where we as anglers, clubs, committees etc. can sit back and just rely on others to sort it out. Is there nothing the Club can do towards helping exterminate these guys? You all must have a lot of power and say in matters, so is there no way you could all club together and try resolve these issues or contact people and sit on them, who have the power to sort these guys out? The more this happens the more reason SACRAA has for their case to put a temporary ban on recreational angling and I am sure I speak for every member on this forum when I say I dont want recreational angling banned for any amount of time because these damn poachers and other ignorant anglers cant take responsibility or dont have any sort of compassion towards other anglers.
I presume this is the beach seine - ie set and retrieved from the beach, possibly assisted by a boat.If so it is legal and forms part of the small scale fishery policy administered by DAFF.There are a limited number of these licence holders around the coast - they are historical fisherman and have been fishing this way long before rod and reel - hence the rights allocation.Before we all jump up and down, what other jobs and income would you give them - in other words how much would you pay for the license (PDI only). I know that one trek licence (they cannot change hands without DAFF approval anyway)was estimated at a perpetual value of ZAR20M.If this is an illegal set, then I presume incorrectly. However, one would imagine DSBC would be on top of things.
Everyime members of the club said or try to do anything to the seince netters,they use the race cards and then say the rich white are picking on them.... Best way is to boycot them and dont support them. By not buying bait from them at all. Sure a few tackle shop buy from them...
I am sure the club could put pressure on them if need be, they share the same launch therefore are assumed to be part of the club, The tractor drivers see what is happening every day and need to report this to the office where they can contact the anti poaching line. If there is a will there is a way. I approched the main guy once and he told me to F off and not interfere as it had nothing to do with me.
Luke, they generally target surface fish or anything that they can net in a shallow area. They carry a very long net, horizontally speaking. When they find a shoal of fish, they drop the beginning of this long net and they essentially continue dropping the net as they ride, encircling the shoal. They then draw the net in and massacre everything. Then there is the 'trek netters'. Similar, but done from a beach. They 'launch the net behind the waves, and then draw this massive, long net toward the beach. And again, massacre everything. There is a lot of talk that they have played a major role in the critical status of the White Steenbras.If I got anything wrong, I apologise, feel free to correct please.