Author Topic: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )  (Read 28943 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2011, 11:06:52 AM »
Thanks for a super day guys, and thanks to Christo for making the effort to join us!   :win:   As Herman said the flows were on 44 when we started fishing, personally I like anything under 40, so it was simple: be careful in the faster seams!!! Just to give you guys a comparison, the last time we fished this venue the flows were around 15, yesterday at 44 the water was at least 40 cm higher, and of course flowing about 3 times faster - makulu manzi. Well I managed my first yellow in the net for the season, a little fellow that we commonly refer to as a "silver" - still to small to be yellow in colour. I picked up a real bruiser of a fish, he was hanging just off the fast water. I managed to steer him into the slower water where I would at least have a chance of netting him, but he decided otherwise, took off like a bullet snapping my entire leader off. Most impressive! Flies that worked me were Olive Humpy's Favourites on the control, and Pauls Slayer on the point. The water had good viz despite all the rain.
 
PS: the bird in Hermans pic is a White Browed Sparrow Weaver. :corrct:

Offline icstuff

  • The Ultimate Clown
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1105
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • It's the Water's fault!
  • Location: Meyerton
Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2011, 11:28:28 AM »
I am so glad you chaps had fun!
Checking out birds as well  :hnthnt:
Squid Happens!

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2011, 11:35:25 AM »
Good report back guys. You are braver than me fishing in those flows.
I decided that given the choice between fishing in the high flows or going small streaming . . .  well there wasn't much to decide on there.
I headed out to the upper Vaal for the weekend. Fishing was slower than usual for this spot. I managed about 10 on Saturday, mostly averaging around 500 - 700g but got one really good fish of about 1.5kg. Bonus for the day was getting a few on dry, walking the banks until I spotted a solitary fish on the surface and then casting a dry to it .
On Sunday it got very windy and was a little cooler than Saturday. Ended up with 5 fish for the day, one of them being particularly memorable. A good size, 1kg+, fish that I spotted while standing on some cliffs about 20m above the water. It was holding in a little channel between some rocks in knee deep water and occasionally coming up to take something from the surface. I snuck down, got into position behind some long grass and with the 2nd or 3rd drift over the fish it came up to sip in my klinkhammer. 
 
I will post a few pics a bit later today.
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2011, 12:22:15 PM »
Some pics


Saturday's good fish









First one of the day on dry



The spot where Sunday's fish was holding, in the little bay between the rocks



The fish from that spot

I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2011, 02:06:28 PM »
Nice fish Andrew!!   :win: That looks like a super spot you fished, thanks for the report!

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2011, 07:37:18 PM »
Great report Andrew. Thanks.  :shre:
 
There is no better feeling than getting a sm on dry. :resp: :resp:
 
+ cred
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2011, 07:41:56 PM »
thanks guys. Herman, you're right, they are always special on dry :-)



Just realized that i posted this under the "Vaal Trip" thread instead of the "Vaal  Report" thread. My bad, sorry for the hi-jack :blush:
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

wernerm

  • Guest
Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
« Reply #87 on: December 24, 2011, 01:25:22 PM »
Hey guys,


Just joined, don't think I need to do the intro thing.


Anyway we're doing a Vaal trip coming Friday as the last one of the season, so far it's myself, Benzo and Mike, any of you sloths available, it will be a 6 ayem to 6 pm thingy.


Apparently the viz is brilliant at the mo so we can try for some challenging dry in the late afternoon.

Offline Searaider

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 290
  • Cred: 37
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Randburg Gauteng
Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
« Reply #88 on: December 24, 2011, 04:10:41 PM »
Hey Werner :welc:

wernerm

  • Guest
Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
« Reply #89 on: December 24, 2011, 04:12:01 PM »
Thanks man, the guys told me they hang out here but had a bit of trouble finding you. Glad to be here.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 12:16:23 PM by wernerm »

Offline Manuel Junior

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 579
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Maputo,Mozambique
Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
« Reply #90 on: December 26, 2011, 12:02:54 PM »
 :welc: wernerm

wernerm

  • Guest
Re: VAAL TRIP # 2 ( or 3 )
« Reply #91 on: December 26, 2011, 12:15:46 PM »
Thanks gents, hope i can make some valuable contributions and the like

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal