Author Topic: Decorating your trace.. What do you use ?  (Read 14664 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Fritz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Decorating your trace.. What do you use ?
« on: April 29, 2011, 08:29:10 AM »
I have spent many hours next to the waters edge watching guys make their slides up and baiting them up with all the bells and wistles that we can think of just to try and out smart our next fish.

I have allways wondered why we use the colours that we do.

So lets hear from one another why we choose a sertain colour, flash or no flash.

Please post some pictures and reason.

Offline Quickbite

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 178
  • Cred: 10
  • Location: JHB
Re: Decorating your trace.. What do you use ?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 09:37:16 AM »
Good question ... as i always thought fish are colour blind....

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Decorating your trace.. What do you use ?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 12:25:07 PM »
Some thoughts on a huge subject!
On slide baits I swear by Couta dusters... purple, pink and silver... the longer the flash the better. That glitter just seems to attract more fish than the plain plastic ones.

On edible baits, Chokka presentations, I prefer using blue foam beneath the chokka... gives the chokka a kind of translucent look - like the bait has a "full belly"... more appetising?? I have found that blue foam outfishes red and white.

Spinning and plugging... the red and white ones have proven themselves repeatedlky over the years... don't think it's much to do with the colours, but rather the contrast?

The age old maxim for spinning... darker colours in darker conditions and brighter colours in sunny conditions works time and time again... why?  :dunno: It defies logic, but that's the way it works... Dark conditions: Purples, dark green   Sunny conditions: Red/white, Pink/orange, Blue/silver and white.


Offline craigb

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 321
  • Cred: 13
  • i just wanna fish
  • Location: durban
Re: Decorating your trace.. What do you use ?
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
Hi Reefman.Ive been using the red foam on my squid and chokka traces and i dont seem to get as many pulls.I watched your bait presentation on chokka bait the other day and wondered why the blue foam.Will def switch to blue and see if theres a diff. :tkx: for the info. :happ:
I'm not addicted to fishing,i can quit anytime my wife makes me.

Offline Fritz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Decorating your trace.. What do you use ?
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 01:49:37 PM »
Same here craigb. Was always thinking why the guys would use the blue foam and not the red or white. Must agree with your theory on this one Tony, it actually makes sence. :tkx:

I on the other hand will use 95% of the time a pink skirt like the one on the photo. I'm a fan of PINK you know. The skirt has this silver part to it and white to the bottom and about 13cm long. They have worked for me and I can really not complain.

On my throw baits I like usesing a snoek duster LIVE GLOW it actually looks awsome in the water.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Decorating your trace.. What do you use ?
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 01:57:15 PM »
Ya Fritz the pink plastic ones with the glitter in them are the only plastic ones I'll use, 'cos the Couta dusters tend to work out very expensive for a slide trace.
On edibles though, the Pink and green Yamashita plastic skirts are deadly!

Also got hold of the new Glow skirts recently, haven't yet used one though. I'd be interested to find out how they go...


Offline craigb

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 321
  • Cred: 13
  • i just wanna fish
  • Location: durban
Re: Decorating your trace.. What do you use ?
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 01:58:38 PM »
 :tkx: Fritz havent tried the pink skirts( :hehe:) Will give it a try.I normaly use the duster with the silver,green and gold. :clfoto: Ive just removed all the red foam from my box.Shopping tomorrow :clwn
I'm not addicted to fishing,i can quit anytime my wife makes me.

Offline Fritz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Decorating your trace.. What do you use ?
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 03:03:38 PM »
Have a look at Kings they have them for about R13-00 for a pack of vife.

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Decorating your trace.. What do you use ?
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 03:39:41 PM »
At one of the Leeukop socials Kumzie was telling me about a rattle that is added to the slide to make some noise. Has anybody tried this?

Offline Fritz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Decorating your trace.. What do you use ?
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 04:06:05 PM »
have a look at the post I did with the bait carrier and circle hook. And it does work. Very well I must add.

Offline Weskus Wayne

  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 118
  • Cred: 24
  • Gender: Male
  • LEAVE ONLY FOOTPRINTS BEHIND....
  • Location: Jacobsbaai Weskus
Re: Decorating your trace.. What do you use ?
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 04:39:54 PM »
When fishing for kob onday,had my bait out all nice and trimed perfect for them.....and nothing so I pulled back in,made up another one,exactly the same as the 1st,but this time I put the bait in GLITTER....half red half silver.....30min later I had my kob on the sand..now not sure if this glitter had anything to do with it,so I tried it at Langabaan lagoon,baited up for a spottie and,dipped it in the glitter again,1hr later 5.5kg elf.....now I have my glitter the whle time in my tackel box....

Oh just one thing....let the better half know you use this stuff as you dont want to come home and get a beating of note,cause you said fishing and you full of glitter,makes the other half wonder where you really where!!!  :hehe:
EAT / SLEEP / FISH " No more questions"

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Decorating your trace.. What do you use ?
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 04:49:30 PM »
Oh just one thing....let the better half know you use this stuff as you dont want to come home and get a beating of note,cause you said fishing and you full of glitter,makes the other half wonder where you really where!!!  :hehe:

Was interrogated for 20 min about the glitter that blew in my ear as well . Scary stuff !!! :+

Offline steve m

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 241
  • Cred: 25
  • Location: cape town
Re: Decorating your trace.. What do you use ?
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 08:10:57 PM »
I don't use skirts and that stuff much anymore mainly because in CT the water is normall very dirty and it wilklk just be a waste of money... But I always have afew skide traces with skirts on because when I skide the tail section of the bait or ockies or chokka I find that it helps to make the bait slide out faster because it makes it more streamlined...

Offline BigG

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 476
  • Cred: 38
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish on weekends to feed the kids...
  • Location: Greenstonehill, Gauteng
Re: Decorating your trace.. What do you use ?
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 09:14:56 PM »
Although time consuming when fishing time is limited, i almost always tie eyes to my chokka baits, and i love using the glow sticks at night
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

Offline Fritz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Decorating your trace.. What do you use ?
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 09:45:08 PM »
 @WW I tried that glitter trick once about two years back and it did nothing for me. But i was allso not fishing for cob but rather for sharks. I was also clever when getting it, I asked my wife to get me some, I was never driled about me coming back home with glitter on me. But in my case it back fired and I was teased for weeks on end about me thinking that the stuff was going to improve my fishing

@ Steve. Fishing in water that has colour in it like you guys get I would allso not use anything, but our water up here is generally clean and we have to pull out all the tricks to intice that bite.

Offline KING-GT

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 126
  • Cred: 28
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Centurion
Re: Decorating your trace.. What do you use ?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 06:52:13 PM »
Reefz will remember the good ol days about the stories of pink skirts and blue foam :)

Slide rigs - Pink Yashamita skirts

Precision baits - Blue foam

Pink n blue be my colours...Guess ifyou really believe in something....it will work :)

Im very superstitious when it comes to angling....  :dunno:

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Decorating your trace.. What do you use ?
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 06:53:56 PM »
Reefz will remember the good ol days about the stories of pink skirts and blue foam :)


 :hehe: those were the days ne! The Inner circle 'n all!

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Decorating your trace.. What do you use ?
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 07:04:22 PM »
Here's a pic of the Couta Dusters I use.... the longer the better

Offline Kumz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Decorating your trace.. What do you use ?
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 08:21:24 AM »
At one of the Leeukop socials Kumzie was telling me about a rattle that is added to the slide to make some noise. Has anybody tried this?

There are a few guys that have used it with varied results ....  w;k ...

Offline deezynking

  • Ultimate Chancer
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 930
  • Cred: 15
  • Gender: Male
  • Feeesshhhhh
  • Location: durban kzn
Re: Decorating your trace.. What do you use ?
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 03:37:24 PM »
iv noticed guys who use fresh bait with bling works well, however i once went out to sea and a chips packet flew into the water and it got picked up by a fish. not sure if they smaaked simbas mrs balls chutney flavour...lol
we cut it in strips foil side up, and caught 1dorado, missed the other 1 and 2small natal snoek... call it luck or being intelligent. i leave that up to you.
but all the fancy lures did not produce nix.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal