Author Topic: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports  (Read 215887 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2011, 06:41:21 PM »
In that case I will have to get you one!  :hehe: :hnthnt:

Offline Nellis

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 100
  • Cred: 2
  • Location: Bellville
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2011, 10:58:05 PM »
Who is planning to come down in December and would you be interested?

Ai Hermann, this "sucker for punishment" won't be there in Dec; I'll be there 5, 6, 7Aug though  :craz: . On one of those Lightley's barges  :rck" ... again

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2011, 07:06:29 AM »
Nellis....don't have to warn you about the outgoing tide and sandbanks hey? In Jan this year I saw a guy in one of the Lightleys boats cut the corner at the back of St. James and went poof into the sand bank as the tide started going out :shk . The Lightleys dude was summonsed to come help the customer. They hitched up a towline  (clap) and tried to pull the boat off with his little speeder :cnfzd . After much smoke and fuel in the air, the line was detached and the client was left to enjoy about 6-8hrs of the sandbank.

Moral of the story...make a mistake in one of those and it can be a rather time consuming one! :nobs:

And don't even get me started about the German guy and his wife on the little Lighleys power boat the ran out of Fuel in the middle of a monster Westerly... duh . I still think that they are somewhere on the Lagoon trying to find their way back.

Regards
Robin

Offline Kona

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 213
  • Cred: 7
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2011, 08:15:34 AM »
I would love to join you guys. I have just started a new job so leave is limited but will be down from the 22Dec - 2Jan
If this falls in the date range you have in mind count me in.
 
The best days for fishing are all the days ending with Y

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2011, 08:19:18 AM »
Woah...just checked the Heads Web Cam...the water is flat flat flat and look goooood! :fshn:

Hey Hermann, don't be fooled...there is BIG rain here in CT again and we are sending it your way. :rain:

If you are going to throw a line, now is a good time....if you can get around the icey temp. You should have a good couple of days before this stuff ruins more of the Knysna Roads. :dunno:

Hey Kona, all the best with the new job!

Offline PH

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2492
  • Cred: 259
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pringle Bay
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2011, 08:32:55 AM »
Woah...just checked the Heads Web Cam...the water is flat flat flat and look goooood! :fshn:

Would you mind posting the link to the web cam please?
We civilise left,  we civilise right
Till nothing is left and nothing is right
"Paint your wagon"

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2011, 08:38:57 AM »
Sure thing PH

http://www.theheads.co.za

Enjoy.

Regards
Robin



Offline PH

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2492
  • Cred: 259
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pringle Bay
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2011, 08:40:41 AM »
 :tkx:
We civilise left,  we civilise right
Till nothing is left and nothing is right
"Paint your wagon"

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2011, 06:58:17 PM »
Ai Hermann, this "sucker for punishment" won't be there in Dec; I'll be there 5, 6, 7Aug though  :craz: . On one of those Lightley's barges  :rck" ... again
Nellis, you are a brave man.  :hehe: :resp: We had some bad weather and some awesome weather as well and I hope the weather gods smile on you this time!

I would love to join you guys. I have just started a new job so leave is limited but will be down from the 22Dec - 2Jan
If this falls in the date range you have in mind count me in.
Kona, we will only be able set a date once we know who will be here in December. I am looking forward to fish with you guys!  :fshn: :grk: :shd: 

Offline Nellis

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 100
  • Cred: 2
  • Location: Bellville
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2011, 12:17:00 AM »
Robin Bru,

please rest assured, I'm quite aware of the estuary's perils.  I've been on the lagoon/estuary (intermittendly though) since 1956. My Mother originates from that area as well as skoonma. The Lightley's option  just makes it is easier (not less frustration though) to drive from CPT to KNY than to tow a 20ft boat for 3 days down there and back... But on the other hand; if we get stuck on a sand bank then so be it. No rush; we're already there...  At least then Hermann will know where to find us  :happ: . And I'm sure he'll bring some  :beer: whilst trying to get us off the sandbank.

Edit: SAFish's comment about the "brave man" stems from me being able to choose the (continually for the past 3 years...) worst time, weather wise, for a stint in the estuary.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 12:36:06 AM by Nellis »

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2011, 07:17:58 PM »
At least then Hermann will know where to find us  :happ: . And I'm sure he'll bring some  :beer: whilst trying to get us off the sandbank.
For sure! I will make it so lekker you will want to stay stranded on the sandbank! The prediction so far shows a bit of rain on Friday but it will clear from the West with sunshine and light wind for Sat and Sunday. I am holding thumbs for you.  :-)  :yipee:

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2012, 01:54:50 PM »
Just a word of caution to anyone planning activities in or on the Knysna lagoon: Theft of a device leads to high bacterial count - http://www.knysnaplettherald.com/news.aspx?id=19196&h=Theft-of-device-leads-to-bacteria-

 :-( duh

Offline jaenswart

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2012, 03:45:30 PM »
thats is still 5 times less than the water we get up here. But thanks for the thumbs up. I am stoked about flying up in 2 days time

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2012, 03:57:27 PM »
Maybe that is why I had an unusually thick layer of algae on my boat's hull after 10days. First time ever that I had to scrub like that to get it off.

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2012, 05:55:18 PM »
Jaen, you are going to have a great time. The weather is really good and the seawater is around 23 degrees.  :fshn: :grk:

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2012, 08:49:35 PM »
This afternoon I quickly went for a spinning session with Leervis / Garrick as the target species. The water looked good and the tide was pushing in. The area that I was fishing is a high water spot because the water is about ankle deep at low tide. I have caught a lot of Leeries here over the past years and the fish are normally on the small side. It is the perfect spot to try out new things because the young Leeries come past in schools of 3-6 fish.
I took Jaen Swart there when he was visiting and we had a lot of chases but could not manage to get a hookup. I promise I will come back for revenge but my life was a bit hectic the last couple of weeks.
I started of at my usual spot and made about 100 casts without a fish showing interest in my lures. I thought it is going to be one of those days where the conditions are perfect but the fish are absent.  :-(
I then decided to move about 50m to the right. I used a white plug with a red head and saw the tell tale swirl behind my plug on my third cast. My heart was racing, I have found the fish! I quickly made another cast and BAM, I am on!  :rck"
I will never get tired of the rush a take on the surface gives me, no matter how many times it happens. It was a small fish of about 30cm and it got fowl hooked in the body. Damn, I felt bad and released it as quick as possible. I switched to my new spoon that PH gave me and made a cast in the same area, three turns and on again. :yipee:
Pierre, your spoon is a winner, thanks again for a great gift.  :tkx: :win:
The action went on for about 30 minutes and I got chases on at least 95% of my casts. I tried different lures and techniques and everything in my arsenal got chased.
It is a long time since I had so much fun playing with these fish, trying to lure them into a strike. It was pure magic to see multiple fish chase me all the way into the shallows at my feet. In the end I had to go home and I left with heavy feet. I managed to get 7 fish but I am sure I would have gotten more if I did not experiment so much. Tonight I am going to go to sleep with a smile on my face, dreaming of my next session ...... I can't wait for tomorrow afternoon.  :hnthnt: :hnthnt: :fshn: :grk:

Sorry, I did not have time to take photos today, but will take some next time.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 08:52:29 PM by SAfish »

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2012, 10:41:05 PM »
Well done Hermann!

Nothing like a great :fshn: session!!!!
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline PH

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2492
  • Cred: 259
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pringle Bay
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2012, 06:21:42 AM »
Lekker session Hermann. I'm thrilled that the spoon works. Made my day  w;k
We civilise left,  we civilise right
Till nothing is left and nothing is right
"Paint your wagon"

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2012, 10:03:02 AM »
Nice  :happ: :happ:

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2012, 10:16:56 AM »
 :envy Nothing like going for a quick through around the corner!  :cgrts:

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal