Author Topic: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports  (Read 215891 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2011, 03:19:19 PM »
Hey Tyrell,

I renew every April...they work the annual permits in 6 month cycles. So if you register in the middle of the cycle...no discount. And they check. The very first day I was out on the water they came to check. They never asked for fishing lic or anything else, just the permit. I genuinely was going to get mine later that day, they did a circle around us, then saw the 'old' disc and came to ask. I told them that I was going to pop in later and they said it's fine and that we must enjoy the fishing. After they were that nice, I made an effort to get the permit the minute the motor switched off. Amazing how nice they were. And I've seen them grilling a row boat for not having enough life jackets. Nice to have guys that have a fresh interest in what they do.

Hey Hermann - meant to tell you....I was fiddling around in the mud opposite Leisure Isle harbour on the thesen bank..and found a nice big garden fork buried in the mud with a big stick marking the spot :unhap . Since no-one had their name & tel number on it (gee I wonder why)...I took it and added it to the Thesen Island bin where we moor the boat :hnthnt: .

Anyone been looking for a garden fork there??

Regards
Robin





Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2011, 03:47:34 PM »
Robin, I also found one hidden on the grass banks. It is now used for what it was made for .... garden work.
We are blessed with some really good rangers who actually take pride in their job.

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2011, 04:58:09 PM »
Hermann, the way these guys execute their duties and the manner in which they deal with the public is very good. The could have told me top get off the water, but they did not. They afforded me the chance to do the right thing. (Which as I said, I was going to do when the tide was low and the boat was moored). Interestingly they checked me when we had the permit last year and asked for my Skipper Lic.....right after the crashed into us. :lolo: The starboard side pontoon of their nose section nearly hit me in my left ear! Just shows that none of us are perfect pilots.

But seriously, I agree with you, they are very active and it is really good to see. I read an interesting topic by Tommo and the Grunters taking surface lures...did you try it in the lagoon?

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2011, 05:35:51 PM »
I am trying but still need to catch one on a surface lure. I like to stalk them while wading but the cold water conditions are hampering my efforts.  :hehe:

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2011, 06:05:23 PM »
Yeah, it does not help that most Grunters are watching the sardine run. I'm going to practice here in Cape Town with my little man (Just practicing the retrieve so we see what it looks like and perfecting it) and when we get there in dec, I'll let him loose. If anyone can do it he can.  :fshn:

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2011, 06:08:10 PM »
Check out this article by Tommo, our Ultimate Specialist.
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/topic,4514.0.html

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2011, 06:19:50 PM »
Jeez, ok...now I will have to buy you a beer when I am there. That is great, thanks Hermann.

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2011, 06:22:20 PM »
This is how we roll here on UA :hehe:

Offline Kona

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 213
  • Cred: 7
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2011, 01:38:06 PM »
Hi SAfish
 
My folks live in Sedge's so I spend most holidays that side of the world. I am currently replacing the motors on my boat and was at Yamaha the other day and the sales guy said that 2 strokes will be banned within the next 18 months.
Do you have any details? Is this fact or fiction? I have a witblits that requires twin motors. The smallest Yamaha 4 stroke is a 40hp and my boat max is 2 x 25hp. Not to mention the fact that the 4 strokes are out of my price range.
So this does cause me a small problem and big concern.
 
Thanks
The best days for fishing are all the days ending with Y

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2011, 01:58:09 PM »
Sorry for the Hi-Jack....they are talking rubbish. The only place that roumoured this is in the Thesen Island canals, and even that was only a romour about 3 years ago. It's not going to happen. Can you imagine the number of boats that will be off the water and how much money Parks board and the likes will lose?? It will not (I may even say NEVER) going to happen. Remember that you get eco-friendly 2strokes. Mercury Optimax, Evinrude E-Tec etc. The dude either wants to sell you on a higher price to jack his turnover up or he's clue-less.

Offline Kona

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 213
  • Cred: 7
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2011, 02:04:19 PM »
Thank you RobinF. Now the planning starts see you all on the Knysna Estuary soon
The best days for fishing are all the days ending with Y

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2011, 02:18:37 PM »
Kona,

If you ever want to put your mind at ease, call the parks board in Knysna and ask them.

Regards
Robin

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2011, 02:26:20 PM »
Kona,

I called a guy that I know, that is in the know and knows what needs to be known. What? Anyway, I called a guy that knows all about this and he said exactly what I told you. Don't worry, the dude at Yamaha needs to wipe the Dollar signs out his eyes. Two strokes are here to stay.

Cheers

Offline Kona

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 213
  • Cred: 7
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2011, 02:28:22 PM »
Thanks once again. UA :geet rocks
The best days for fishing are all the days ending with Y

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2011, 05:54:02 PM »
I agree, it is total nonsense. Thesen Islands wanted to ban the use of two strokes and only allow eco-friendly 2's or 4 strokes but it never happened.
What do you guys think about having a Southern Cape social in December? We can fish in the morning and then have a braai in the afternoon. Who is planning to come down in December and would you be interested?

Offline PH

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2492
  • Cred: 259
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pringle Bay
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2011, 05:58:50 PM »
I agree, it is total nonsense. Thesen Islands wanted to ban the use of two strokes and only allow eco-friendly 2's or 4 strokes but it never happened.
What do you guys think about having a Southern Cape social in December? We can fish in the morning and then have a braai in the afternoon. Who is planning to come down in December and would you be interested?
We will most probably be in the area
We civilise left,  we civilise right
Till nothing is left and nothing is right
"Paint your wagon"

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2011, 06:08:45 PM »
Awesome!  :happ: :yipee:

Offline PH

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2492
  • Cred: 259
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pringle Bay
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2011, 06:16:13 PM »
It's a great idea.
 I also need to get that  :grk:
We civilise left,  we civilise right
Till nothing is left and nothing is right
"Paint your wagon"

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2011, 06:30:47 PM »
I will try my bestest best to help get you one.  w;k

Offline PH

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2492
  • Cred: 259
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pringle Bay
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2011, 06:36:26 PM »
I just may consider giving you a credit if you manage that.  :hehe:
As mentioned earlier I've tried Keurbooms/Bietou convergance, the old train bridge at Sedge, Nature's Valley, etc, etc. As well as above the White Bridge in Knysna.
We civilise left,  we civilise right
Till nothing is left and nothing is right
"Paint your wagon"

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal