Author Topic: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports  (Read 215828 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #380 on: September 19, 2016, 08:51:30 PM »
Robin, my +10kg leerie is waiting for me...  :sreel:

Offline RobinF

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 549
  • Cred: 85
  • Gender: Male
  • We release everything.
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #381 on: September 20, 2016, 05:20:32 AM »
Robin, my +10kg leerie is waiting for me...  :sreel:

Oh yes, that fish was caught by Connor when it was 8Kg.... :hehe:

Offline jfrique2

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 10
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gauteng
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #382 on: November 17, 2016, 06:46:19 AM »
Hi All


Any news on whats happening in the lagoon lately? I havnt been in a few months?

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #383 on: November 17, 2016, 06:50:23 AM »
There are some small Leeries around but the action should start picking up. Grunters and Kob have been caught so the fish are here. I also have not fished in ages but I am planning to go this weekend and give an update next week.

Offline jfrique2

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 10
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gauteng
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #384 on: November 17, 2016, 07:04:27 AM »
Thanks bud... ill be there for a week from the 25th.


Any news if there are any flatfish and toothies around i wouldnt mind getting stretched on the big tackle aswell.


Thanks for the willingness to share.

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #385 on: November 27, 2016, 02:22:28 PM »
I finally managed to go for a throw today. I did not catch anything but it was great to be next to the lagoon with my spinning rod again. The water was quite clear and warm. I had one chase but the fish did not commit. Next time!  :hnthnt: :grk:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 02:23:06 PM by SAfish »

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #386 on: November 29, 2016, 08:56:06 AM »
Keep fishing bru  :tite

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #387 on: December 03, 2016, 06:00:11 PM »
My son nagged me the whole day to go fishing so I took him this afternoon. He has not fished a lot but he is a natural. Just check his casting action. We did not catch anything but it was awesome to spend time with him. He is now hooked on fishing and I think he is going to out fish his old man soon. I am so Blessed.  w;k  :fshn: :grk:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 06:00:46 PM by SAfish »

Offline Charles

  • The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1142
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Never ever give up!
  • Location: Mossel Bay and Beni, DRC
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #388 on: December 04, 2016, 07:26:14 AM »
Thanks for sharing Hermann, shees that water is crystal clear!

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #389 on: December 04, 2016, 07:34:45 AM »
Thanks for sharing Hermann, shees that water is crystal clear!
Yes, the water was clear and it might be the reason why we did not catch anything.

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #390 on: December 04, 2016, 08:03:50 AM »
Great stuff Hemann!!!! Building awsome memories...

This is a GREAT pic mate!!!!!
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #391 on: January 22, 2017, 05:51:48 PM »
As per my previous report back, my son recently took up fishing. Robinf then have him a custom spinning rod paired with a shimano Sienna 2500. The Leeries had lock jaw and they young man got despondent because he dearly wanted to catch a fish.
Today we went to try for Striped Mullet. Fishing was very slow at first with no Mullet in sight. The Grunters were tailing all around us but we did not have the right bait to target them.

We then moved to another spot and I immediatly noticed more life in the water. We had Mullet feeding on his bait but missed the fish every time. On the fourth cast a big one moved in and I was really hoping this one would stick. We were watching it like hawks and then suddenly it took the bait with a huge splash. I knew it was a big fish when it took about 50m of line on its first run.
I had to calm my son down a couple of times because the excitment was starting to get the better of him.  :hehe: I told him to be patient and play the fish. If it wants to run let it and keep the rod tip high. After about 10 minutes he had the fish at our feet and it was my turn to try and stay calm.  :blush: It was huge and the second biggest one I have seen.

We quickly measured it and took photos before we revived it and released it to fight another day. It measured 59cm and according to fishweights it weighed 3.06kg. It was really fat and it is possible that it could have weighed more.

I am so proud of my boy and I think he is now hooked on fishing for life. Well done my boy!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 05:54:50 PM by SAfish »

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #392 on: January 22, 2017, 06:30:19 PM »
Fantastic fish... You must be really prod of him Hermann.


Please describe the rig and bait. Iv'e never targeted one before. They have always targeted me, trying to take me out in suicide missions when I've ventured into their territory in my boat.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #393 on: January 22, 2017, 06:42:10 PM »
The rig is nothing special. It is basically a home made float made from 3mm thick plastic the size of a credit card. Stick foam to one side and attach white bread to the opposite side. I keep the bread in place with some elastic. One end gets a short 5cm trace with a no. 6 hook. The leader is attached to the other end and voila. The bread serves as chum and it is awesome to see the fish come in to feed at the surface and the water explodes as it takes the baited hook.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 06:42:49 PM by SAfish »

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #394 on: January 22, 2017, 07:02:36 PM »
Cool... so a bit of squashed up bread on the hook?
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #395 on: January 22, 2017, 07:09:35 PM »
Yes white bread but I don't like to squash it too much, it needs to float a bit and not hang straight down. They give an amazing fight on light tackle.

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #396 on: January 22, 2017, 07:12:01 PM »
Yeah, they are really strong fish. They have a serious motor in that tail of theirs. And the fact that they can jump so far and high must make them a wonderful target species.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline isivuba

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1671
  • Cred: 265
  • Gender: Male
  • Work pays for the fishing trips
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #397 on: January 22, 2017, 07:13:57 PM »
OMW that's the biggest mullet I've seen caught  :shk . Lekka fun for the young man to catch and makes a nice profile pic. :win:

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #398 on: January 22, 2017, 07:26:02 PM »
Thanks Mike. I am so proud of him. He has been spinning his arms off but the Leeries have eluded him. I think he is going to become a Mullet catching fanatic.  :hehe:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 07:26:22 PM by SAfish »

Offline colin

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 752
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Kelland , Randburg
Re: Knysna Estuary - information, news, events and reports
« Reply #399 on: January 22, 2017, 08:40:48 PM »
 :cgrts:  that is the biggest mullet I have ever seen  :win: :toppie:
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal