Author
Topic: MPT Bay offshore - What's up  (Read 88906 times)

Offline bassbug

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 12
Re: MPT Bay offshore - What's up
« Reply #1020 on: January 10, 2018, 10:46:15 am »
tuff luck there JohnF, next time

Offline John F

• Cred: 514
« Reply #1021 on: January 10, 2018, 11:48:46 am »
3rd time is a charm right?!!?? It inly adds to the excitment and antecipation....

UA/Columbia Angler of the Month: Oct 2012
UA Post of the Month: Oct 2011; Apr 2012; Sep 2013

Offline HooknCook

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 5
« Reply #1022 on: January 10, 2018, 01:56:18 pm »
Peterblace the fishing around Santa wasnt bad, but there were a lot of boats. Everyone seemed to get a couple fish most days. We got Yellowfins, nice Dorados, GT's, couple other bits and pieces and then some really nice Couta's around 10-12kgs which was good!! Bad Luck again Marcos, we fished North on the Saturday and got some nice water!

Offline John F

« Reply #1023 on: February 09, 2018, 06:20:05 pm »
Weather looking good for tomorrow. Launching at 05h30 with the sunrise...

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
  • Cred: 44
  • I fish, therefore I am.
« Reply #1024 on: February 09, 2018, 06:35:05 pm »
Safe trip and tight lines bro
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline John F

« Reply #1025 on: February 10, 2018, 03:01:41 pm »
Woke up at 03:50 and the rain was already here. Checked several sites they all agreed: rain till 09h30. Sent a message to my brother and got back to bed. After 10h00 it turned out to be a beatiful, flat day.... yeah, guess I got soft over the years ...

Offline John F

« Reply #1026 on: February 12, 2018, 08:52:10 am »
Weather has been playing some funny tricks lately...

Good rain in the morning (not that I'm complaining - been running a 3 year drought!), and then it turns out to be a beautiful day with flat seas till noon... then the typical easterly blows at 12-14 kts....

Hum.... me thinks it's time to DIY some sort of clears...   :hnthnt:

Offline tkei

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 89
« Reply #1027 on: February 12, 2018, 09:06:10 am »
Or time to Toughen up.  :creep:

Offline John F

« Reply #1028 on: February 12, 2018, 09:48:14 am »
Or time to Toughen up.  :creep:

That too! Think I'm too lazy now :hehe:

Offline John F

« Reply #1029 on: February 24, 2018, 12:25:48 pm »
Had another "stuff work" moment yesterday. Work has been pretty hectic lately and given the last 2 weeks of bad weather, and the incoming bad weather for at least next weekend, the prospects of launching were really slim... unless... Also, my freezer is empty!!!!

Well, I kept checking the forecast throughout the week and it kept quite steady. Flat day on Friday and maybe some rain.... the rain part I took care of :hehe:

Since the last time we aborted our trip due to rain, I installed clears on MAXIMVS that still need to be tested. This seemed like the perfect day.

My brother was free for the day so it was a matter of ditching a meeting and we're ready do go. Met at the club at 05h30 and by 06h00 we on our way. At 2 am the rain came and I just smiled.... bring it on baby!!!

Water temp is holding at 26-27o C. We got flat seas all day. Fishing was good but not easy. We had to work hard for the fish. Lost some good ones that pulled hooks, cut through leaders and even broke a rod tip fighting a massive boulder!!!!

We drifted mackies and carapaus, trolled and fished for bottoms. Nice calm day at sea. The rain came and the clears worked 100%.

In the end we got 5 nice couta (18 kg) and some nice bottoms.

Also tried a set of 4 blade props. Got good consumption (96 L for 83.1 nm) and performance out of the solas 17' 13 3/4.

Guess I'll be "stuffing" work more frequently from now on  :crzy

Offline HooknCook

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 5
« Reply #1030 on: February 25, 2018, 06:42:15 pm »
Good to hear Marcos!

Offline peterblace

• Ultimate member
  • Cred: 76
« Reply #1031 on: February 25, 2018, 07:48:18 pm »
great that you had a good day out at sea...weatherman has been playing a lot with us

Offline John F

« Reply #1032 on: March 02, 2018, 12:39:49 pm »
Another Clube Naval in-house friendly will take place tomorrow.... weather seems to be holding and looking very decent...

Team MAXIMVS will be there! Launching at 05h30...

Offline peterblace

• Ultimate member
« Reply #1033 on: March 02, 2018, 02:47:16 pm »
I will launch on matabixoXL

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #1034 on: March 03, 2018, 12:15:50 pm »
Tight lines boys.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline peterblace

• Ultimate member
« Reply #1035 on: March 03, 2018, 09:09:43 pm »
just a few comments on the outing
great boat to be out...we managed to fight the weather  (big swell and more wind then expected)
we only had 2 strikes all day...one shy...second not so shy that ended up with a saily....eye
very sad about the fact that a saily went for our spread...commited and after a short run "released" the lure
after bringing back the lure we had one of the saily's eye

Offline John F

« Reply #1036 on: March 04, 2018, 09:14:42 am »
Second your sentiments pb... Matabixo XL is a Kei Marine Scorpion 24 - imagine us ....

We launched about 1 h later than you guys (05h55), and boy those weatherguys need to go back to school... it was absolutely contrary to what was forecasted... quite strong wind in the morning, rain, oceanic swell out of nowhere, upside down seas... after 1 pm (instead of the typical easterly) the seas went absolutely flat... I mean, mirror flat...  :crzy

Anyway, we persevered the conditions and tried our best to find and put fish in the hatch... first fish was a 3.5 kg couta at about 10h45... was really getting desperate by then.... all my secret spots were absolutely empty... no bites AT ALL! We kept on going and explored all the options and eventually got a 5.5 kg couta in the drops way up north. On our way back coming in from the deep (@ 24 m), we had a massive hit on our way-way back shot gun rod... a splashfull combination of a bird, daisy chain of 5 squids and a kona with strip bait. Took a lot of line.... put up a good fight but then it turned out to be a 3.5 kg  :yft: ... WTF!?

Had several on-off bits from rat couta but that was it... we fished hard till the last minute and came back with the flat seas making the 16h00 deadline at the club by 5 min.

Very tough fishing... my gut feeling that new moon is bad for gamefishing got another  :corrct:

As far as I know, similarly to Matabixo XL, all other (few) boats that launched for the in-house friendly, battled to find fish.

Offline FishStyx

• Ultimate Champ
« Reply #1037 on: March 04, 2018, 09:28:28 am »
Sad about the  Sailie... But I guess he can now have a career as a pirate.

I second you on the weather Marcos... But I think that in the last few weeks, there has been so MUCH weather up our way that it's been difficult to call. Windy.com has been my most reliable source of late. As for bloodied decks, I did a bass session yesterday afternoon and eventually, just before sunset, I managed to put one on board. My toughest day of bass fishing in years.

Offline John F

« Reply #1038 on: March 04, 2018, 09:45:39 am »
Yeah... Suppose all we can do is give our best... but after 10 h at sea bumping and sloshing around, the old bones take their toll...

Offline peterblace

• Ultimate member
« Reply #1039 on: April 23, 2018, 01:58:39 pm »
it's been a while since I last wrote here...main reason is the fact that the weatherman been playing with us during the weekends but with a nice forecast for the weekend being Sunday the best day I decided to launch
I had a family lunch so it has to be a short outing plan...and plan was to launch at 6:30 (it's dark and cold now at that time of the day) and to be back by 11:00 to be able to take the boat out of the water (tide wise)...wash it...and luckily clean and fillet the fish
fishing plan was to work cockburn area with the jigging and popping kit...and some drifts with sardines as well
it was a smooth ride like I haven't had for too long...flat flat seas...nearly no wind...set the boat at 22knt and off I went...to soon realize I forgot the bait for my drifts session...but I was close to Naval...called my guilly turn back and collected the bait
not long after I arrived at the spot I had my first hook up on the jig...a small kingy...took a photo and released
set the drift again...dropped the jig...and on the way up a knock and a cutt off on the leader...toothies gang bit me
I went from jigging to popping and back every 3 drifts...to give it a try on each method...and resulted on the jig...not long after I landed a small cuta
after all getting quiet on the jig/popping side I set the drift with 2 sardines at the surface...still with the jig in action...going over the mark I was working, I had one of the baits getting smashed...long run and the moment I set the drag I noticed fish got away (0-1)
decided to retrieve the second bait to set the drift again and no bait...seemed like it was chowed by bottoms
set the drif again and going over some structure I had a strike and another long run...set the drag and...fish got away...(0-2)...I didn't had time to set another bait...but unfortunately same story as before...0-3
it was nearly time to head back home so decided to put 2 lines out with rappies...and struggled a lot to let them in the water...in 10 min I landed 4 rat cuta
so my plan went well...I even met a couple of mates that were working the same area before I headed back home
arrived at the dock at 11:12 after a even smoother ride at 26knt all the way

water temp was around 24 all day

I have to say my plan went very well...I have had good fun...otoro went 100%...I was able to fish 3/4 different techniques...wife and daughter are happy with some fresh fish...although family is unhappy as I didn't share a fillet with them...petrol cost is too high and fishing been too slow lately

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 03:23:18 pm by peterblace »