Author Topic: Boat Rebuild  (Read 19867 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline fishy1969

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 176
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Boat Rebuild
« on: May 07, 2019, 06:46:37 AM »
Hi guys,


Been a while since I posted for various reasons...none fishing related! Over the years I have owned boats and eventually got rid of my last one about 4 years ago....I regret that decision most weekends! I have decided to sort myself out with another boat but this time in the form of a project. The thinking is that I will construct something to my spec that I know for sure is in excellent condition in all the unseen areas. So I bought the project boat. Not sure what make the hull is...would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me.

Offline fishy1969

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 176
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Boat Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 06:48:30 AM »
We started with the deconstruction process. Ripped all the wood and carpet out of the boat.

Offline fishy1969

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 176
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Boat Rebuild
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 06:49:49 AM »
Next phase was to lose the cabin. Messy work but a man must do what a man must do!

Offline fishy1969

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 176
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Boat Rebuild
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 06:52:23 AM »
I knew that the deck and stringers were not in good shape so that was the next phase. She had a poor system which allowed water back into the hull if she was parked incorrectly. Not a great idea! She was filled with plastic bottles that were in poor shape too!

Offline fishy1969

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 176
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Boat Rebuild
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 06:54:19 AM »
The next stage was to clean the hull out completely in preparation for the rebuild. Agin messy work but completely necessary.

Offline fishy1969

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 176
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Boat Rebuild
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 06:57:47 AM »
I am at the stage now where I am considering all reconstruction options in terms of materials and suppliers. I do not have an open Cheque book and budget is a concern for me....but I will not compromise quality. I will rather take longer to do the rebuild and make it affordable in that way. I am Durban based. Any direction from members in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

Offline fishy1969

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 176
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Boat Rebuild
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 07:20:39 AM »
The next plan is to reglass the inside of the hull. Once complete will then do the stringers.

Offline shu vawda

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 110
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Boat Rebuild
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 07:21:32 AM »
good morning bud.


what sought of assistance do you need?maybe list the items you need help with and i am sure you will get responses.i will help where i can.


I have done a few projects and currently busy with one at the moment so i may be able to point you in the right direction.I am also based in durban.


Good luck with the build.its well woth it at the end but the costs always go higher than expected :hehe:

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Boat Rebuild
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 09:04:57 AM »
Sheezzzz.... that's quite an undertaking. Hope it all goes well. Post here if you need any input. There's a few very knowledgeable souls on UA.


I may be wrong but I think it's a "Sportsman" hull. Not sure who built them.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline dugong

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1676
  • Cred: 54
  • Location: Durban - Warmwater country!!
Re: Boat Rebuild
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 09:23:53 AM »
Eish, you are brave!! :nuts:
Just Fish!!!

Offline fishy1969

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 176
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Boat Rebuild
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 01:46:54 PM »
good morning bud.


what sought of assistance do you need?maybe list the items you need help with and i am sure you will get responses.i will help where i can.


I have done a few projects and currently busy with one at the moment so i may be able to point you in the right direction.I am also based in durban.


Good luck with the build.its well woth it at the end but the costs always go higher than expected :hehe:


Thanks for the reply. I am looking for info regarding best places to buy fiberglass, resins, epoxies and marine ply if possible.

Offline fishy1969

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 176
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Boat Rebuild
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 01:48:22 PM »
Sheezzzz.... that's quite an undertaking. Hope it all goes well. Post here if you need any input. There's a few very knowledgeable souls on UA.


I may be wrong but I think it's a "Sportsman" hull. Not sure who built them.


I tend to agree with you on that!

Offline fishy1969

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 176
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Boat Rebuild
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 01:49:21 PM »
Eish, you are brave!! :nuts:


Hi Dugong, it has been said on more than one occasion that I’m not all there! Lol

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Boat Rebuild
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 02:00:40 PM »
AMT Composites is a really excellent supplier of all sorts of goodies... I'm sure you could get normal polyester resin and glass cheaper elsewhere but AMT has a myriad of very cunning stuff. I always trash my personal budget when I go there. There's one in Durbs. https://www.amtcomposites.co.za/
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline UmdlotiOnDad

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 104
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban KZN
Re: Boat Rebuild
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2019, 02:54:22 PM »
good morning bud.


what sought of assistance do you need?maybe list the items you need help with and i am sure you will get responses.i will help where i can.


I have done a few projects and currently busy with one at the moment so i may be able to point you in the right direction.I am also based in durban.


Good luck with the build.its well woth it at the end but the costs always go higher than expected :hehe:


Thanks for the reply. I am looking for info regarding best places to buy fiberglass, resins, epoxies and marine ply if possible.


Try NCS resins.

Offline emjay

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 261
  • Cred: 18
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban/Richards Bay, KZN
Re: Boat Rebuild
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2019, 08:38:20 AM »
Looking forward to your progress! I love it when something old is rebuilt/redone

May I ask why you specifically chose that type of hull/style of boat?

Good luck with the build!
Fishing all day, everyday is still not enough fishing

Offline fishy1969

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 176
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Boat Rebuild
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2019, 10:21:49 AM »
I was looking for a boat to fish the Bay with. I hate cramped boat decks. This will be nice and wide with lots of open deck space.

Offline shu vawda

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 110
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Boat Rebuild
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2019, 04:50:36 PM »
good morning bud.


what sought of assistance do you need?maybe list the items you need help with and i am sure you will get responses.i will help where i can.


I have done a few projects and currently busy with one at the moment so i may be able to point you in the right direction.I am also based in durban.


Good luck with the build.its well woth it at the end but the costs always go higher than expected :hehe:


Thanks for the reply. I am looking for info regarding best places to buy fiberglass, resins, epoxies and marine ply if possible.


I would recommend NCS resins for fibreglass and associated products.For the marine ply you can try Buco in pinetown.They reasonable on the timber products.Good part is that both these companies are close by.


On my current rebuild i used the PU foam from Amt.its a good product and i tested it.


Hope this helps.

Offline fishing mike

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 35
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Shepstone
Re: Boat Rebuild
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2019, 07:45:35 PM »
Shu .. please give us an update on your butt rebuild and some info on the foam testing.
Apologies for slightly changing the tread

Offline shu vawda

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 110
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Boat Rebuild
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2019, 09:49:00 AM »
Hi Mike.


I dont want to hijack this thread so i will post on my rebuild page.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal