Author Topic: swivel grommets  (Read 14622 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline shamwari

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 153
  • Cred: 18
  • Location: Zimbabwe
Re: swivel grommets
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 09:39:46 AM »
No but I would love to have a 20Kg GT on that rod  :hehe:

They are the light edition, used for smaller and medium fish, this way you can still have a hell of a battle even in a area that is not infested with big mommas.

Whole lot of fun  :happ:

Thanks - got it now - JSRK250 - Jigstar Kojak 250 - thanks for the edit Chris - you had me excited - thought you had a new rod that I would need to hunt down !

Nahhh Fedu -  just fish it like this and then the 40's are fine...

Offline shamwari

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 153
  • Cred: 18
  • Location: Zimbabwe
Re: swivel grommets
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2010, 09:50:11 AM »
this is how to rig the Jig Star Swivel Grommet.

Thank you Sir - kevlar to the small ring and jig on split on big ring - I havnet fished these yet but that is how I will rig it - I have pulled your other ring grommet against the burglar bars and I cant get the small ring to break/deform so am  happy that I will rig it this way
 (clap)

Royboy... you may however stick to split/jig onto small ring - no doubt both will work just fine. :crzy

Offline shamwari

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 153
  • Cred: 18
  • Location: Zimbabwe
Re: swivel grommets
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
yeah I agree about endless applications but for now we have just the one size.   How much smaller would you like to see and how would you use it?

Chris, I am thinking that the apllications could be beyond jigging and use them for the connection to poppers and stickbaits.

I am all for small connections - I know that when we used to use those little plastic thimbles as protection in certain waters and certain species the one guy when he took his thimble off suddenly got 2:1 bites that the rest of the boat.  This particular species was dogtooth but small shoaling ones. Put it back on and the bites went down again - they could see that little thimble and didnt like it. I suspect your Yellowtail Kingies there are not as fussy.

Assuming that the strength of the swivel  is within the range needed for a particular application the problem with going down in size with a ball bearing swivel , particulary, is the wire of the swivel becomes small and then affects the strength of the knot ( so we all use bigger leader than we need to ) - once that wire diameter becomes less than the leader  diameter the knot strength is compromised below the normal say 30% loss on a uni.

Hence most spin  jigfishers for big fish use big crane (NT) swivels where the wire is thick - in my view stealth is compromised ( as I said with SOME species in very clean water).

Your new grommet on there now negates any loss in knot strength as it has a huge diameter compared to the leader. Still quite stealthy though.

As a result we can now go down in size of the actual swivel without being worried about knot strength being compromised.

The applications I am thinking about are towards the use of sub surface stickbaits/swimbaits again where I beleive the more stealth the better.  In which case we could use quite small swivel with a grommet on the smaller baits.  Everything needs to be balanced in my view - sure a big 5/0 swivel on the front of a 120 gram popper will not affect bite rate at all but your smaller 50 gram sinking stickbaits dont really need massive swivels off the front.  Take a Souls bomber for example - put  3/0 ST's on that and a big 5/0 swivel off its nose and I have no doubt that action will be severely compromised.

For the stickbait applications obviously we would not need the extra small ring - will put split then lure.

Another variation of these can be a bigger ring on the bottom to allow more movement of the lure - eg those little bombers really wobble and the bigger the loop the better - with reason of course and not compromising on weight/stealth etc. the old rapala knot is still popular for this very reason.

I will be getting some of these from Linda next week and will cut the small ring off and use them on my bigger poppers/stickbaits - I'll let you know how we get on with them.

So...smaller ones of as is, ones without the second ring ( to reduce cost a bit)  and ones with a bigger bottom ring on the swivel but no second ring are additional options that may be of benefit.

Just a few thoughts - thanks for another great product (clap)


Offline chrisw

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 22
  • Cred: 1
  • Location: Wellington, NZ
Re: swivel grommets
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2010, 09:59:50 AM »
thanks for the feedback and advice Bruce.  Much of what you suggest has already been through the thinking stage and the mkII's will incorporate a larger bottom ring and also a smaller size BB swivel for smaller lures.   A second range is possible without the second ring.  Unfortunately I have significant factory minimums so I would have to be supremely confident that other anglers think the same!   duh

Actually I thought that when rigged to a popper or stickbait, the second ring could be used to loop an assist hook.  If not, then leaving the second ring on would not be a disadvantage since the swivel grommet could be reused in jig tackle where it would be of use.

So much to consider when designing such new products  swr

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal