Author Topic: Gilloolys Farm and Olifantsfontein Cable Dam  (Read 13046 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Brad

  • Guest
Gilloolys Farm and Olifantsfontein Cable Dam
« on: August 19, 2016, 09:01:10 AM »
Hey everyone,

Hey hey its Friday......cant wait to get my rod out there. I have done a lot of fishing at Eendekuil with some massive yellows coming out but my last 3 trips have been terrible and that's due to the weather....so I want to try out Gilloolys and The dam the cable ski on in olifantsfonein, well there is another dam next to it that has fish apparently.

Have any of you tried these dams....I do have a fresh water angling license I got two days ago.....

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Gilloolys Farm and Olifantsfontein Cable Dam
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 09:06:15 AM »
Going to Eendekuil when it warms up for sure!

Where is that dam in Olifantsfontein? Would like to hear how it goes...

Fished Gilloollys once before getting kicked out lol, caught a small carp on bread within a few minutes. So was bleak when we were chased away.

Brad

  • Guest
Re: Gilloolys Farm and Olifantsfontein Cable Dam
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 09:25:58 AM »
Eish this is all I am hearing about Gilloolys and I was also kicked out but I didn't have a license. Did you have one?
I think I am going to try the olifantsfontein dam . If you Google the cable ski in olifantsfontein you will find it but I will definitely let you know. It will be my first time there as well.

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Gilloolys Farm and Olifantsfontein Cable Dam
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 09:28:29 AM »
Nope didnt have a licence then... But they didnt ask me for a licence they just told me I cant fish there...

Offline Shikz

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 29
  • Cred: 2
  • Location: Greenstone
Re: Gilloolys Farm and Olifantsfontein Cable Dam
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 11:47:22 AM »
HI Brad,

I cant seem to be able to send PM's, contact me on whats app on 083 566 1964 re a spot in JHB that I have good success at.

Regards

Offline rockspider

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 146
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockspider/
  • Location: London, UK from Brakpan, SA
Re: Gilloolys Farm and Olifantsfontein Cable Dam
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 01:30:38 PM »
Hi guys,

I got kicked out of Gilooly's years ago under the pretext that no fishing was allowed. This applied to the stream too. I was told by the guard there is a club you need to contact which I did but to no avail.

The barbel looked sizeable....

Brad

  • Guest
Re: Gilloolys Farm and Olifantsfontein Cable Dam
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 04:03:57 PM »
Thanks guys.
Rockspider...Well I got a license and by law they can't so I am up to that challenge.

I'll definitely contact you Shikz thank you.

Offline Joff

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 312
  • Cred: 23
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Joburg Gauteng
Re: Gilloolys Farm and Olifantsfontein Cable Dam
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 11:20:04 PM »
Brad, what type of licence are you referring to?

Offline Big B

  • Barry
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 760
  • Cred: 20
  • Gender: Male
  • I am a fish-a-holic!
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Gilloolys Farm and Olifantsfontein Cable Dam
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 11:41:12 PM »
TV  license, haibo
Lets go FISHING!

Brad

  • Guest
Re: Gilloolys Farm and Olifantsfontein Cable Dam
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 08:00:25 AM »
A fresh water angling license Barry hahhaha.....but apparently Gilloolys and Modderfontein are privately owned so they will still kick you out. I fished Saturday and Sunday at Modderfontein but wasn't asked to leave....lost the biggest carp I have ever had on.....

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Gilloolys Farm and Olifantsfontein Cable Dam
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 08:07:24 AM »
Which Modderfontein? In the reserve?

Or the dam by the restaurants?

Brad

  • Guest
Re: Gilloolys Farm and Olifantsfontein Cable Dam
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 08:11:11 AM »
The dam in front of the garage....they were coming out , all around 1 - 2 kgs but the one I lost was way over 10kgs....

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Gilloolys Farm and Olifantsfontein Cable Dam
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 08:21:50 AM »
Fished there many times, never had an issue. Once someone told me we werent allowed to fish there, and basically told him its a public dam, and according to law you do not need a freshwater licence for Gauteng (Which was the case when I last checked a few years a go).

Caught quite a few Carp over 10kgs there and some Koi between 5 and 8kgs.

Brad

  • Guest
Re: Gilloolys Farm and Olifantsfontein Cable Dam
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 08:30:50 AM »
Oh wow....what would you recommend to use there? I used vaal dam bom, oozers (white chocolate, garlic, almond and brown bread)

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Gilloolys Farm and Olifantsfontein Cable Dam
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 08:40:49 AM »
We always used plain supercast, vanilla essence or fx dip (We didnt always use dip), and then plain floaties with banana dough backing...

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal