Author Topic: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA  (Read 24104 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline sardinella

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 735
  • Cred: 24
  • Gender: Male
  • I like to spinfish
  • Location: St Lucia, KZN
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2016, 04:08:29 PM »
Will do

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2016, 05:13:15 PM »
Brad, it's not going to work. They will ask for ID. Just renewed mine and ID was compulsory.


Again - depends on which way the cofee is stirred - I got my new licence last month, no ID required to be produced

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2016, 07:38:22 AM »
Brad, it's not going to work. They will ask for ID. Just renewed mine and ID was compulsory.


Again - depends on which way the cofee is stirred - I got my new licence last month, no ID required to be produced

 :corrct:

Offline Mike63

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 49
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sweden
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2016, 07:07:22 AM »
Here is the latest catch
3 Rainbow trouts the largest 1,5 kg. These are strong fish that offer a good fight at UL tackle  :happ:

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2016, 07:28:35 AM »
Nice catches Mike. Are you using braid on your reels, or is that nylon?

Offline Mike63

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 49
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sweden
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2016, 07:46:22 AM »
I am a braid only guy! As I fish with UL tackle nylon would be to thick and impair on casting the tiny lures that I use. Also with braid You feel every little touch on the lure.


On the pictured spool, it is a 0,06 mm sinking braid , mainly for vertical jigging (it has a mark every meter). But I like it a lot due to high visibility and low drag in the water.

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2016, 07:51:05 AM »
Nice stuff Mike! Yeah braid is the way to go my friend!

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2016, 08:47:29 AM »
I am a braid only guy! As I fish with UL tackle nylon would be to thick and impair on casting the tiny lures that I use. Also with braid You feel every little touch on the lure.


On the pictured spool, it is a 0,06 mm sinking braid , mainly for vertical jigging (it has a mark every meter). But I like it a lot due to high visibility and low drag in the water.

Good to know... wasn't looking forward to having to explain to you why you should be using braid!  :rotfl That orange stuff on your reel looked like mono.

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2016, 09:08:13 AM »
On the pictured spool, it is a 0,06 mm sinking braid , mainly for vertical jigging (it has a mark every meter). But I like it a lot due to high visibility and low drag in the water.

Sorry to hijack and derail the thread, but can't help to wonder (loudly), why are manufacturers still marking braid for distance?!?!? I assume most vertical jigging is done using a boat that, in this day and age, must have a fish finder?!?!? Also I have never seen anyone jigging and counting the little marks or colour bands and then estimate the depth... or am I just  :nuts:

Doesn't make sense to me...
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Mike63

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 49
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sweden
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2016, 09:41:46 AM »
On the pictured spool, it is a 0,06 mm sinking braid , mainly for vertical jigging (it has a mark every meter). But I like it a lot due to high visibility and low drag in the water.

Sorry to hijack and derail the thread, but can't help to wonder (loudly), why are manufacturers still marking braid for distance?!?!? I assume most vertical jigging is done using a boat that, in this day and age, must have a fish finder?!?!? Also I have never seen anyone jigging and counting the little marks or colour bands and then estimate the depth... or am I just  :nuts:

Doesn't make sense to me...

I agree in part. There are time when this is useful.


In this case , I do not use it for depth or distance but for visibility (it is orange and the meter mark is black in white - very visable). You can see every little twitch , little bite that a fish make. For exemple -when fishing perch with jigs - the fish often take the jig when it is sinking and it is very hard to feel it when the jig weight 2-3g BUT you can spot it on the line. And you have to strike immeidietly or the perch will spit it out!


When we vertical jig for mackerel , we use line that have a different color every 5 meters. When one of us get a bite he calls out the approximate depth and all wheel in or let out to get to that depth. We do not use fishfinder when fishing for mackerel - from what I have heard they do not show up on it due to the lack of swim bladder (do not know if thats true).

Offline Mike63

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 49
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sweden
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2016, 03:49:22 PM »
OK
Soon ,ready or not, SA, here I come :yipee:


As preparation, I am watching  Pirates vs Chiefs, until my favorites ManUnited starts.

Thank You all for the advice and I really hope I will meet some of You by the water!

I will post the pictures when I get home (hopefully there will be fish on these pictures). :happ:

Again thank You for all help and advice!








Offline sardinella

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 735
  • Cred: 24
  • Gender: Male
  • I like to spinfish
  • Location: St Lucia, KZN
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2016, 07:13:26 PM »
Welcome to SA Mike, wishing you a rewarding and save trip.
Keep us posted on the fishing

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2016, 05:44:27 AM »
Have a safe trip Mike. At the moment the Kob is biting all along the Southern part of our coast. From PE to Witsand. Knysna has some Grunter around in places but I have just moved into a new house and have not been fishing yet.  :blush:

Offline travelmember

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 663
  • Cred: 49
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town Western Cape
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2016, 12:57:28 PM »
And......what happened?

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2016, 07:51:33 AM »

Sorry to hijack and derail the thread, but can't help to wonder (loudly), why are manufacturers still marking braid for distance?!?!? I assume most vertical jigging is done using a boat that, in this day and age, must have a fish finder?!?!? Also I have never seen anyone jigging and counting the little marks or colour bands and then estimate the depth... or am I just  :nuts:

Doesn't make sense to me...


I find it useful when a school of fish is feeding mid water... most of my jigging has been aboard a big live-aboard with 5 other anglers, so reading the sounder is not an option. Getting straight into the strike zone rather than having to jig through the entire water column saves time and = more fun with angry fish. I never actually do the math (counting colours and multiplying by 5)... I just know when the fish keep hitting my jig between the orange and the green for example, then that's where I concentrate... particularly in very deep water with heavy jigs.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Mike63

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 49
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sweden
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2017, 08:57:17 AM »
Hi guys


Am back in Sweden an it really sucks. Winter is here , cold , dark, depressing and no fishing until April 1st (when season on see-trout starts).



Post travel report coming....


First sorry it took such along time to report back. (Vacation is latin for postponement of work) I had a really hectic time when I got back.


Secondly , SA IS GREAT!! We had a marvelous time. Great nature , wonderful food, good wines plentiful of crafted beer and full of nice people WOW.


As for fishing I was a bit unlucky! It started out great did som fishing at Cape Vidal then a great day of St Lucia (caught plenty fish although unfamiliar with that fishing method )


Unfortunately this is when my luck run out.


While I was out fishing , my wife was out on her own looking at land based animals and was caught in a huge thunderstorm on her way back in the car. She was scared senseless and it was really bad timing that I had booked a water safari at Jozini dam day after - a very thin disguise for a Tiger fishing trip  :happ:


My wife saw through that one as soon as we rigged six rods.... :blush:  she was upset and I even got the blame for the thunderstorm the evening before .


WE agreed no more fishing for the rest of the trip (although I had good hopes she would soften). And due to a traffic accident and downpour we did not make it to Mazeppa Bay - which might have saved the marriage as I was booked with a guide there.


I got to fish a little in False Bay and in the Good Hope NP but without any success.


Find attached pictures of the two most notable fish I caught in SA.


Over and out


Mike


PS WE HAD A GREAT TIME IN SA



Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2017, 09:59:52 AM »
Awesome stuff Mike, glad you enjoyed SA, would love to see more pics if you have any!

Offline colin

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 752
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Kelland , Randburg
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2017, 10:04:44 AM »
 :lolo:  I love our thunderstorms. Unplug appliances and close my eyes, even my dogs dont mind .  :toppie:
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline Mike63

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 49
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sweden
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #98 on: January 17, 2017, 12:43:04 PM »
I do have lots of pictures but very little fish related.
Is that of any interest?

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #99 on: January 17, 2017, 01:26:03 PM »
Yes sure, post your favourites, would like to see some fish too  :hehe:

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal