Author Topic: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA  (Read 24056 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Mike63

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 49
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sweden
Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« on: August 08, 2016, 12:57:29 PM »
Hi guys


The name is Mike from Sweden. Me and my wife will visit SA for the first time, in November. And I would like to ask for your advise what lures to bring and where to fish for what spices.


I will bring a good 10Žsurf rod with a Shimano Stella  10000 with 30lbs braid. Is the line sufficient?


As for lures I will bring some poppers and surface lure (love  seeing fish strike). Some large Rapalas , stickbaits and wedges. Any thoughts?


Maybe I should post a picture of the lures and the one that wonŽt work IŽll leave at home (limited luggage weight)?


The itinerary is (only the oceanside places):
St Lucia 5 days (booked an offshore chater and Jozini Tigerfishing)
Umhlanga 2 days
Mazeppa  2 days
Knysna 3 days
Wilderness 1 day
Hermanus 2 days
Cape Town 4 days


I would be very thankful if you could give me advice what spieces to target where I would be with what lures. :dunno:


AND a relevant question that I have not been able to find an internet- answer:  is the fishing permit valid for the entire SA or is it regional?


Am very thankful for any advise.






Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 01:52:25 PM »
 :welc: Mike! You're covering the entire Coastline in a few days!  :shk Might make fishing a little difficult considering the difference in conditions from our cold water Cape coast compared to warm water KZN Coast. The species availablity changes quite drastically from Natal as you go further South into the Cape. Having said that, and taking note of your limited baggage, you're probably on the right track with your choice of gear and lures.

The fishing permit covers the entire coastline.

Offline Mike63

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 49
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sweden
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 02:12:21 PM »
Thank You for your answer , Reefman!  :happ:


Especially the permit question makes me happy (no hustle to get a new permit -instead of fishing).  :tkx:


Do You have any poisonous fish (that stings)?
I will do C&R and bring gloves but it would be easier if I knew that I do not have to worry about poison as well (opposite Australia where everything is poisonous)




Are there any species that You can recommend mid November in Knysna?


 :tite






Offline sardinella

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 735
  • Cred: 24
  • Gender: Male
  • I like to spinfish
  • Location: St Lucia, KZN
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 04:19:32 PM »
Hi Mike, when St Lucia you should contact Maverick charters, Johan, the skipper, is very good with fishing with artificials.

Offline Mike63

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 49
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sweden
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 07:01:04 AM »
Hi Sardinella


I am already booked to fish with him. Thank You for the advise, though!

Offline Mike63

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 49
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sweden
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 08:17:43 AM »
These are the lures will bring.
Any thoughts ? Is there one that You think is useless in SA?
What do You think of the colors?


As You can see some have yet to see water (bought for abroad fishing only)  :gt:


Is there any one lure that You think will be especially good for close to shore fishing for hard fighting species?


While looking through different topics on this forum I have noticed that no one fish in saltwater using spinners. Anyone tried it?

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 08:45:59 AM »
I hope you have the fishing trip of a lifetime Mike!

Offline Mike63

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 49
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sweden
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 09:07:32 AM »
THANKS!
So do I  :-)

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 09:13:48 AM »
Hello Mike and  :welc: ... You may want to get a few chisel nose plugs when you get here. They are basic, but very effective top water lures that are popular in SA. They are inexpensive and cast well. I never go anywhere without a few.

I always rig mine with single hooks.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 09:14:33 AM by FishStyx »
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 09:23:28 AM »
With respect to the permit, in SA, permits are issued at our Post Office. It's simply a case of filling in a form and paying a fee.


http://www.daff.gov.za/daffweb3/Branches/Fisheries-Management/Marine-Resource-Management/Recreational-Fishing/Permit-Fees
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 09:27:39 AM »
Also get some info from http://www.fishthesea.co.za/
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Mike63

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 49
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sweden
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 09:57:57 AM »
Thanks FishStyx!


The first thing when I arrive at St Lucia is get into the postoffice to get a license. Do I need any kind of ID(passport)?



I have read through the sites and it is a lot to process!


I will look into the plugs as I arrive (I - and certainly my wife  w;k [size=78%] - do hope that I leave SA with LESS lures that I bring)  It is usually the one that get away that is the best story. BTW did I tell You when I hooked a halibut 100+ kg in Norway ?[/size] w;k
[/size]
[/size]

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 10:59:13 AM »
To be safe, take your passport along with you. Bureaucrats here can dream up their own rules.


When you get time, it would be great if you could post some of your overseas catch reports (including the halibut)... Always interesting for us here to hear about different fishing experiences.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 11:02:51 AM »
Yes please, if you have time please posts some of your catches and reports!

Offline Mike63

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 49
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sweden
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 01:07:22 PM »
Ok
Story time


IŽll tell You about Lofoten Norway.
We- my fishing buddies - try to go every year. rent a boat and a guide if in a new spot.
That is the Artic circle the sun does not go down at all, it just touches the horizon and goes back up again.
Maelstroms , tides that rip in shallow channels with 10+ knots.
There are 4 of us + a guide in the boat and we been fishing 16 hours a day for the last four days. So we are a bit tired. We have caught a lot of fish , mostly small cod which nobody is interested in and some halibut - that everybody wants. The biggest halibut so far is a 22 kg fish that fought furiously.
All have rigged their rods with the largest jiggs they have. we are taking 450-550 grams 25-40 cm jiggs.
I have a my best rod -GTX Extra heavy , it is designed to fish Giant trevallys- a Stella 10000 reel, brand new line 100 lbs braided of a quality mark with 2 meter flourocarbon leader 120 lbs and a 450g Flat Matt jigg, a perfect copy of a 30 cm big flounder (halibut snack).


We are in the channel the depth is just 10m (great according to the guide). We have seen a couple of halibut sniffing about our jiggs but not hook-ups.  The high tide has just turned and the water is rushing in. We are gunning the motor just to stay in place.
Primetime!


I feel a little "tick" on the line - a tell tale sign that a halibut might be interested.  I raise the tip of my rid slightly (as advised by the guide) but I cannot see anything since the current has taken my jigg a quite bit behind the boat. Nothing!
Disappointed, I lower the tip and I feel a solid bite, or so I think. I do the solid- set - the- hook routine. And my rod just bends. Jimmy asks "Fish?" "No, just the bottom" I answer.


I jerk the rod up and down , left ,right to get it loose. Then the bottom just takes of- upstream.  I almost loose my rod (having set the drag at maximum to get my jigg of the bottom).


Panic erupts on the boat , there is no question that this is the largest halibut yet, trying to slow it iI place my thump on the screaming reel and to brace myself I sit on the bottom of the boat with both my feet on the rail.
That does not slow down the fish at all. It is like being hooked into a train.
Instead it lifts me up of the bottom of the boat! I am in excess of 100 kg! I am seriously frightened that it will drag me into the water (and that is really dangerous in that current) so I take my thump off the reel
We turn the boat and set off after as fast as we can - not very fast, remember the 10 knot current. It is still taking line faster than I have ever experienced (I have caught sailfish , yellowfin,wahoo, GT and marlin).
Then with a sharp crack the line rips and I fall on my ass. Hit something with my back , really painful.
According to my friends the fight lasted 25-30 seconds, it took est 250 m of my line. To me it felt like at least 5 minutes, I was drenched in sweat despite a temp of only +5 C.
The guide said it was surely above 100 kg.


Hope You enjoyed reading about my greatest failure (fishing)


We went again in May this year and have booked another trip in June -17  :fshn:

[/size][size=78%]A huge halibut was caught near the place where I last mine.[/size]
[/size]
[/size]http://www.fisheco.se/news.php?modulID=2&newsID=1362[size=78%][/size][size=78%] [/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]PS Large halibut should be C&R only so I really do not like the picture in the link , it is just to show how big these fish can be.[/size]
[/size][size=78%]PSS The smaller one taste great![/size]


Offline Mike63

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 49
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sweden
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2016, 02:15:30 PM »
Question:
Is there anyone doing kite-fishing in Mazeppa or Knysna?  A guide or such.


It looks really cool and I have not done that before.

Offline colin

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 752
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Kelland , Randburg
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2016, 02:58:54 PM »
 :welc:  Mike . sure it was not a Russian submarine on a spy mission ?? :hehe: :hehe: :toppie:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 02:59:34 PM by colin »
My wife allows me to keep all the fishing tackle I can hide.

Offline Mike63

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 49
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sweden
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2016, 03:07:32 PM »
I had that thought myself w;k


But a) it was to shallow and b) they are smoothsurfaced = nowhere to set the hook.

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2016, 07:19:57 AM »
Thanks for the story Mike... had no idea those fish got to that size  :shk
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2016, 07:21:28 AM »
Yeah awesome story that  :+ cred:

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal