Author Topic: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA  (Read 24112 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2016, 08:34:58 AM »
Mike  :welc:

I can't comment on the other destinations but can help with Mazeppa.

If you are staying at the hotel I suggest you email them and ask them to book a gillie by the name of Zola for you. Of all the money you spend on fishing tackle the absolute best way to spend it is on a good guide.

The transkei is not called the Wild Coast for no reason. The waves here can get seriously big and it is quite easy to be washed off the rocks if you don't know what you are doing.

Zola will be able to take you to all the best spots as well as assisting you with tackle set up etc.

I would advise that you pay your gillie a minimum of R150 per day.


As for the fishing I wrote a short guide a few years ago. Keep in mind that I am an internet angler so I am not sure how good the info is but hopefully it will at least help a bit

http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=10808.msg164936#msg164936

Offline travelmember

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 663
  • Cred: 49
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town Western Cape
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2016, 09:09:36 AM »
Welcome Mike. Whereabouts in Sweden are you? I used to work from Ljungby and fished the surrounding area quite a bit. Very nice in summer!


Cape Town in November is very weather dependant. If we have had an early summer, then your best bet for shore spinning is Strand area. Blakes beach in the evening on a pushing tide for leerfish and elf. Those chisel noses will be fine. You may be a bit overgunned on the rod and reel though. The rest of the area for spinning would be fruitless (too early for yellowtail in the bay).


A better bet may be to take a charter - the tuna and yellowtail season will be in full swing. If this is of interest, let me know and I can suggest some good options depending on where you are staying.

Offline Mike63

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 49
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sweden
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2016, 11:25:48 AM »
Thank You Half -Pint! Zola it is! And R150 sounds ridiculously cheap!


I will read the guide


Travelmember: I live in Gothenburg. What did You do in Ljungby?


Thank You for the tip on Cape Town! We will be staying in a B&B Purple House Cape Town. And I would appreciate suggestions but I would have to enter negotiations with my wife (I told her I will just fish " a little") :blush: :blush:

Offline Nellis

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 100
  • Cred: 2
  • Location: Bellville
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2016, 10:35:11 PM »



Travelmember: I live in Gothenburg.
Mike, not to hijack your post; just as a matter of interest... My ancestor came from Göteborg to South Africa in 1764 and was the Quarter Master for VOC. He was Ari Lorenz Toren. Enjoy your stay here.

Offline travelmember

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 663
  • Cred: 49
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town Western Cape
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2016, 09:31:24 AM »
Purple House is in central town. Easiest for a charter would either be Hout Bay or Simonstown. Smart Fishing in Simonstown (ctc Dave) also offers birding, whales, seals and dolphins - maybe make it easier to sell w;k
I was consulting with Electrolux in Ljungby. @ Nellis, amazing ancestory!!


Offline philter

  • Phil
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 109
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • WishIcould
  • Location: Springs Gauteng
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2016, 10:52:03 AM »
Mike, welcome to Ultimate


Just a point of interest with regards to your fishing permit, I see that you will be here for around 3 weeks, the license(permit) comes in 2 formats, either monthly or yearly, if your holiday is going to run into December then make sure that you fill out the yearly one, it will save you a bit of hassle later.


Hope you have a great holiday in our beautiful country and  :tite [size=78%] [/size]

Offline Poenie

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 315
  • Cred: 11
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Somerset West, Cape Town
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2016, 02:43:15 PM »
If you're coming to CapeTown in November, and like fishing, it would be absolutely silly not to take a tuna-charter!! We have an INCREDIBLE tuna fishery with plenty 100+ kg fish caught each season. With the exchange rate well in your favour, it could be very affordable. Also, that time of year, the yellowtail fishing should be good... this is undoubtedly the most exciting way to fish in South Africa, sight-casting at giant shoals of 3-7kg fish whilst chasing birds at a rate of knots!! ...and getting 20-30 fish a day is fairly common!!  ...and you're passing the yellowtail ground en-route to the tuna grounds!!

Offline GT

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 38
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2016, 10:19:38 PM »
Hi Mike and welcome to Ultimate Angling, the best Fishing Site in South Africa


Please check with your airline how many pieces of luggage you will be allowed. While some airlines
allow  a rod over and above the normal limit, (sporting equipment) some are quite sticky and count it as part
Of your normal check in luggage. This is more so when you are flying within South Africa.


There is also an issue with carrying braid in your hand luggage. Some airlines don't allow it. And well
It goes without saying that lures are a no no in hand luggage.


Do any of our members here know which domestic airlines are fisherman friendly ?? 




Offline Mike63

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 49
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sweden
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2016, 10:17:52 AM »
Thank You for tips!


The tuna sounds really fun! The largest I ever caught was off Madeira and it was a 30 kg so I would love to catch a larger one.


I was up in Norway this week - working- but managed to squeeze in a couple of hour of fishing. Caught a handful of graylings ( first form me). These are not large but on UUL tackle in streaming water they are really fun. I also caught a couple of small trouts - these were not as colorful as the ones I am used to.
I will try to post some pictures if any of You would be interested.




Offline Mike63

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 49
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sweden
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2016, 10:49:17 AM »
Here are some pictures of the river -Glomma- I fished

Offline Mike63

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 49
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sweden
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2016, 10:50:33 AM »
Moore pictures

Offline Mike63

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 49
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sweden
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2016, 11:14:44 AM »
Hi Mike and welcome to Ultimate Angling, the best Fishing Site in South Africa


Please check with your airline how many pieces of luggage you will be allowed. While some airlines
allow  a rod over and above the normal limit, (sporting equipment) some are quite sticky and count it as part
Of your normal check in luggage. This is more so when you are flying within South Africa.


There is also an issue with carrying braid in your hand luggage. Some airlines don't allow it. And well
It goes without saying that lures are a no no in hand luggage.


Do any of our members here know which domestic airlines are fisherman friendly ?? 






I have bought a 4 piece surf rod (St Croix TSRS100M4) and my luggage is huge (just to accommodate rods)  (clap)
And I have rented a car for transportation so we will not be flying - just enjoying the beautiful sights SA offers while driving :-) [size=78%] [/size]
[/size]



Travelmember: I live in Gothenburg.
Mike, not to hijack your post; just as a matter of interest... My ancestor came from Göteborg to South Africa in 1764 and was the Quarter Master for VOC. He was Ari Lorenz Toren. Enjoy your stay here.


Nellis  1764 that is just 250 years in SA - You are more Swedish than South African  w;k


PS Please have excuse my English it is not my native language (the spelling must be terrible). :blush:
[/size]

Offline Mike63

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 49
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sweden
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2016, 11:33:05 AM »
Yes please, if you have time please posts some of your catches and reports!


Here is a picture of a Yellow Perch a fish found is freshwater and brackish water. This one is a 400g fish (good size for eating). Largest caught in Sweden is 3,5 kg but my largest is 1100g. These are really fun to catch on UL tackle :-)

[/size][size=78%] [/size][/size]On a good day in August you can catch 100+ . They are incredibly ravenous and if one is hooked, your fishing buddies can cast behind the hooked one and keep the shoal there while You unhook and cast again thus catching 10-40 fish[size=78%] :happ:


And -although bony - fryed in butter, lemon, and freshly baked bread  (clap)




Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2016, 07:01:51 AM »
Awesome pics Mike  :envy

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2016, 07:52:56 AM »
Hi Mike and welcome to Ultimate Angling, the best Fishing Site in South Africa


Please check with your airline how many pieces of luggage you will be allowed. While some airlines
allow  a rod over and above the normal limit, (sporting equipment) some are quite sticky and count it as part
Of your normal check in luggage. This is more so when you are flying within South Africa.


There is also an issue with carrying braid in your hand luggage. Some airlines don't allow it. And well
It goes without saying that lures are a no no in hand luggage.


Do any of our members here know which domestic airlines are fisherman friendly ?? 






I have bought a 4 piece surf rod (St Croix TSRS100M4) and my luggage is huge (just to accommodate rods)  (clap)
And I have rented a car for transportation so we will not be flying - just enjoying the beautiful sights SA offers while driving :-) [size=78%] [/size]
[/size]



Travelmember: I live in Gothenburg.
Mike, not to hijack your post; just as a matter of interest... My ancestor came from Göteborg to South Africa in 1764 and was the Quarter Master for VOC. He was Ari Lorenz Toren. Enjoy your stay here.


Nellis  1764 that is just 250 years in SA - You are more Swedish than South African  w;k


PS Please have excuse my English it is not my native language (the spelling must be terrible). :blush:
[/size]

Your English and spelling is better than quite a few native English speakers!


Offline Mike63

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 49
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sweden
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2016, 07:59:12 PM »
One other question, not fishing related.


Safety: How safe is SA?  Off course we will not walk in the townships flashing cameras. But what should I watch out for? Can I wear wedding ring and gold necklace?


Driving from Johannesburg to CT along the coast, what should I watch out for (I have read that not stop for any reason, be on the watch out for fake cops).


Not a fun topic but better safe then sorry.

Offline Willie

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2033
  • Cred: 237
  • Gender: Male
  • Ultimate Novice
  • Location: Nelspruit Mpumalanga
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2016, 08:31:16 PM »
 :welc:  Mike. I hope you and your family will have a most enjoyable time in our country. I agree better be safe than sorry. Avoid empty beaches or places when you are going fishing or try to have some people fishing with you. Bribery is normal for cops. Rings and chains should be ok. Cellphones and wallets are targets. You need to be aware of your surroundings. An evening walk on the beach is always great but take much care before you attempt such ventures.
Although we do have this crime issue it is still a most beautiful country and much to enjoy.
Just for reference:
If in need of a dentist - contact Reefman
If in need of a lawyer -  contact Half-pint
If in need of a cleaner - contact Mike Pike 
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at office

Offline Mike63

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 49
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sweden
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2016, 08:40:29 PM »
Thanks Willie!


As for the reference , I hope I will not either  w;k

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2016, 08:19:55 AM »
One other question, not fishing related.


Safety: How safe is SA?  Off course we will not walk in the townships flashing cameras. But what should I watch out for? Can I wear wedding ring and gold necklace?


Driving from Johannesburg to CT along the coast, what should I watch out for (I have read that not stop for any reason, be on the watch out for fake cops).


Not a fun topic but better safe then sorry.

The biggest thing to keep in mind is awareness. Very often people are so focused on their cellphone, conversation etc that they fail to notice the clearest signs that all is not well around them. I'm not talking about spending your day watching your back like the hero from an action movie but a simple exercise in keeping your eyes open will go a long way.

Like all cities in the world JHB, Cape Town and Durban have certain areas which everyone would advise avoiding. Fortunately with GPS you are unlikely to accidentally end up in the midst of your local township.

When fishing it again comes down to awareness of your surroundings. At Mazeppa you will not have any issues fishing alone (other than the sea which is the biggest danger). The local chief apparently is a firm believer in tourism and any crime against tourists is dealt with in what I would call a "traditional" fashion :shkswm

When fishing in slightly more urban areas I would advise that you check in with your local fishing shop regarding popular spots and stick to areas with other anglers.

As Willie joked this forum has a number of people who are in various fields of expertise and would no doubt be quite happy to assist should you run into any problems whatsoever 

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Seek advice what to target and bring to SA
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2016, 08:41:44 AM »
Card cloning is also becoming a problem... get a rechargeable card and take it from there.

Plenty of friends of mine got bills for shopping done 1000 kms from where they went.

Also if you're withdrawing money from ATMs (especially out in the open (ie. not inside malls, etc), don't accept help from strangers or let anyone near you... 
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal