Author Topic: A learning experience  (Read 252549 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline soupcan

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 95
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #720 on: April 18, 2018, 04:29:53 PM »
My first cob on lure! 90 cm total length fish. Caught on my 10 ft Assassin Spin rod with Shimano Twinpower reel spooled with 20 lb (PE1.5) 8x Grinder braid with 35 lb (PE2.5) JDB braid leader and 0.66 mm Siglon fluorocarbon leader at the front end. This great fish ate a 1.5 oz bucktail jig fished slowly in between reefs.

Hi Steenie

I've enjoyed following this post a great deal and have learned 1 things only:  Keep on trying!    No jokes, you have to keep on keeping on until you come right! And then when you finally get a hookup, it's like hitting the jackpot!!

See attached my first Kob on plastics - a helluva long time in the making!  74cm and released...  Then the next morning I did exactly the same thing and landed another of 73cm, which was dinner!  Caught on 2 setups:

Penn Regiment 11ft with a Daiwa BG 4000 using 20LB Daiwa Jbraid and a 6 inch Mccarthy paddletail 1oz.
Assassin Spin XH 9½ft  with a Daiwa BG 4000 using 20LB Daiwa Jbraid and a 6 inch Berkely paddletail  1oz.

Have you ever tried the Penn Regiment rods, 1-4oz?  It's probably a bit stiff to cast all day but it's what I had been using to cast bait until I switched to plastics.

Offline CRANKMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 684
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Louis Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #721 on: April 19, 2018, 08:59:02 AM »
Great catch again!

Reikert, did I chat to you on the beach at St Lucia on Monday? I met an angler walking on the beach who told me I had come down with all the wrong tackle for spinning in that area  :blush: , I had all fast spoons and plugs and no plastics or bucktails.

Could have been me! Was I busy walking of the beach? I did mention tp somebody that its good to carry some soft plastics with them as well because plugs and spoons don’t always produce the bites.
Yes, you were just heading off the beach - damn, if I had known it was you I would have tapped you for a lot more advice!
>('>
                   )<((°>
     }<(({°>

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #722 on: April 20, 2018, 03:15:04 PM »
My first cob on lure! 90 cm total length fish. Caught on my 10 ft Assassin Spin rod with Shimano Twinpower reel spooled with 20 lb (PE1.5) 8x Grinder braid with 35 lb (PE2.5) JDB braid leader and 0.66 mm Siglon fluorocarbon leader at the front end. This great fish ate a 1.5 oz bucktail jig fished slowly in between reefs.

Hi Steenie

I've enjoyed following this post a great deal and have learned 1 things only:  Keep on trying!    No jokes, you have to keep on keeping on until you come right! And then when you finally get a hookup, it's like hitting the jackpot!!

See attached my first Kob on plastics - a helluva long time in the making!  74cm and released...  Then the next morning I did exactly the same thing and landed another of 73cm, which was dinner!  Caught on 2 setups:

Penn Regiment 11ft with a Daiwa BG 4000 using 20LB Daiwa Jbraid and a 6 inch Mccarthy paddletail 1oz.
Assassin Spin XH 9½ft  with a Daiwa BG 4000 using 20LB Daiwa Jbraid and a 6 inch Berkely paddletail  1oz.

Have you ever tried the Penn Regiment rods, 1-4oz?  It's probably a bit stiff to cast all day but it's what I had been using to cast bait until I switched to plastics.

Well done on your cob! Nice write-up as well. No, I have not yet tried the Penn Regiment rods.

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #723 on: April 20, 2018, 03:17:35 PM »
Got this nice snoek of the beach this week. Nothing beats getting one from the beach!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 03:19:08 PM by Steenie »

Offline Kes

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 282
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sandown
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #724 on: April 20, 2018, 03:24:33 PM »
Where was this bud..??

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #725 on: April 20, 2018, 03:27:39 PM »
Where was this bud..??

KZN north coast hey.

Offline soupcan

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 95
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #726 on: April 22, 2018, 10:19:49 AM »
Got this nice snoek of the beach this week. Nothing beats getting one from the beach!

Nice Snoek! Looks like you have a Diawa BG reel now?

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #727 on: April 22, 2018, 03:39:40 PM »
Got this nice snoek of the beach this week. Nothing beats getting one from the beach!

Nice Snoek! Looks like you have a Diawa BG reel now?

Yes, its the Daiwa BG3000. What a great little reel!

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #728 on: April 22, 2018, 03:51:27 PM »
Very nice fish. Hopefully next time business will give me enough time to give them a bash.

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #729 on: April 22, 2018, 03:53:48 PM »
Very nice fish. Hopefully next time business will give me enough time to give them a bash.

I will be holding thumbs for you. Tight lines!

Offline Kes

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 282
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sandown
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #730 on: April 23, 2018, 07:21:06 AM »

Offline soupcan

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 95
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #731 on: April 23, 2018, 05:00:01 PM »
Nice Snoek! Looks like you have a Diawa BG reel now?
Yes, its the Daiwa BG3000. What a great little reel!

Ha!!  Would you say the BG3000 is comparable is size to the Shimano 4000?  In weight it would be, but in terms of physical size?

I have a BG4000 - and it's about a Shimano 5500.  If I was to buy again for pure spinning up to about 3oz on a 10ft I would have got the BG3500.  Just a feeling/opinion.  They do weigh a bit more than the same physical size Shimano but are just as smooth, and probably stronger.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 05:04:31 PM by soupcan »

Offline Kes

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 282
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sandown
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #732 on: April 24, 2018, 09:59:46 AM »
Nice Snoek! Looks like you have a Diawa BG reel now?
Yes, its the Daiwa BG3000. What a great little reel!

Ha!!  Would you say the BG3000 is comparable is size to the Shimano 4000?  In weight it would be, but in terms of physical size?

I have a BG4000 - and it's about a Shimano 5500.  If I was to buy again for pure spinning up to about 3oz on a 10ft I would have got the BG3500.  Just a feeling/opinion.  They do weigh a bit more than the same physical size Shimano but are just as smooth, and probably stronger.


BG4000 is about the size of a Shimano 6000.


My BG5000 is the same physical size as my Sustain 10000, give or take a few millimeters here and there..


Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #733 on: April 24, 2018, 03:27:40 PM »
Nice Snoek! Looks like you have a Diawa BG reel now?
Yes, its the Daiwa BG3000. What a great little reel!

Ha!!  Would you say the BG3000 is comparable is size to the Shimano 4000?  In weight it would be, but in terms of physical size?

I have a BG4000 - and it's about a Shimano 5500.  If I was to buy again for pure spinning up to about 3oz on a 10ft I would have got the BG3500.  Just a feeling/opinion.  They do weigh a bit more than the same physical size Shimano but are just as smooth, and probably stronger.

I would say the BG3000 is closer to a 5000 size Shimano. The spool of that BG3000 holds a lot of line. It casts like a dream and the drag is super smooth.

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #734 on: May 20, 2018, 10:48:43 AM »
Greenspot (brassy) kingfish on the chase no 5 spoon. For some reason they just love this spoon and will attack it on days when no other fast retrieving lure produces bites.

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #735 on: May 20, 2018, 10:49:56 AM »
Another one shortly after the first fish.

Offline Steenie

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 748
  • Cred: 31
  • Gender: Male
  • Durban-based shore spinnerman
  • Location: Queensburgh, KZN
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #736 on: May 20, 2018, 10:55:36 AM »
Shore slow pitch jigging (shore slow) is rapidly becoming a key tactic in my approach to targeting gamefish on lure. Conditions need to be right for this strategy to work. But under the right conditions this method is simply deadly in getting lock-jaw fish to bite. During this particular session nothing seemed to work except shore slow. It produced the only bite - greenspot (brassy) kingfish.

Offline fishatic

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 500
  • Cred: 14
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Randpark Ridge, Johannesburg
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #737 on: May 20, 2018, 04:02:38 PM »
Can believe.
Just need to get folks to use the right tackle and a whole world opens up....

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #738 on: May 20, 2018, 04:38:44 PM »
Nice Riekert!What lure is that last one? Storm Koika?
3 assist hooks??

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: A learning experience
« Reply #739 on: May 20, 2018, 05:53:35 PM »
Nice Riekert!What lure is that last one? Storm Koika?
3 assist hooks??

All the slow pitch jigs I have came with 2 double assists. So 4 hooks in all. Slow pitch jigging can be a lot of fun.

Lekker fish Steenie, and liking the use of slow pitch from the shore... Thinking out the box.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 05:55:16 PM by FishStyx »
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal