Author Topic: So what did you do with your boat today?  (Read 269167 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #640 on: July 11, 2017, 03:54:40 PM »
Great! Got any figures of your current consumption (litres/nm)?
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #641 on: July 11, 2017, 06:13:38 PM »
I upgraded my boats category from Cat C to Cat B.

I see you're running 2 yammies 90 hp 2-stroke... how's the fuel consumption?


Hi John, after having had 2 x 40hp four strokes on my previous boat, i thought my fuel consumption would go through the roof now.


In reality even though the boat is bigger, heavier and with bigger motors, the difference in fuel usage is negligable.


When purchasing the boat, my initial thought was to upgrade the motors to 4 strokes but after having used it a few times i wont be going that route.


I understand that a lot of the guys using the bullet proof 85hp Yammie have them rejetted to 70 hp jets for better economy and no noticeable drop in oomf, I will have the 85's on my yeld rejetted and will let you know 1st hand
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 06:14:16 PM by dodger »
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline LGF

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1042
  • Cred: 80
  • Gender: Male
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #642 on: July 11, 2017, 08:16:04 PM »
Dodger I can't get my head around smaller jets = better fuel consumption with no noticeable drop in power. Logically if you put smaller jets in it should save on fuel but then it should also be saving on the power-output, no?


Personally I think there's more to gain wrt fuel economy with lessening drag and weight, also distributing weight to an optimal and not running WOT will defs be advantageous. However if these are not possible and or already completed, then I would also like to know if putting in smaller engin jets are better?


Please keep us updated?
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #643 on: July 11, 2017, 08:38:15 PM »
Dodger I can't get my head around smaller jets = better fuel consumption with no noticeable drop in power. Logically if you put smaller jets in it should save on fuel but then it should also be saving on the power-output, no?


Personally I think there's more to gain wrt fuel economy with lessening drag and weight, also distributing weight to an optimal and not running WOT will defs be advantageous. However if these are not possible and or already completed, then I would also like to know if putting in smaller engin jets are better?


Please keep us updated?


Henk you are spot on, the thoughts are that the 85 yammies was built in a low cost fuel era  They have an enormous amount of grunt.


On my 19ft yeld if I open taps you need to hang on coz she jumps,  I have done 70k/h on Jozini with her and not WOT so I have still some to spare and that is quick enough for me
I believe that a number of charter boats with these motors have jetted down so let us see, will keep you informed


speeds taken from my GPS

when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline MichaelK

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 510
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Bluff
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #644 on: July 12, 2017, 09:58:11 AM »
Great! Got any figures of your current consumption (litres/nm)?


John i havent worked that out yet.


Ill check on my next trip out and let you know.

Offline LGF

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1042
  • Cred: 80
  • Gender: Male
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #645 on: July 12, 2017, 10:11:57 AM »
Thanx Bud

Yeah that makes sense regarding the 85's.

I am still in the process of trying to establish a "sweet spot" regarding the height of the new hydro-foil I installed. I too manage over 72km/h but admittedly that is at WOT and not a very smooth ride, which you can imagine, is NOT VERY EFFICIENT wrt fuel :blush:

If I pull back on the throttle the ride is too comfortable, meaning that the motor labours all the way and that is just as bad for consumption.
I honestly need to get somebody to assist with this setting of the motor height, launch and test, trailer and adjust, launch and test, trailer and adjust and so on, or I need to turn the manual jackplate into an electronically operated one, I have an idea and some parts in mind and hand and perhaps need to start that project.

The idea:
Use a high torque motor (12v) with a directional momentary switch as the power source (I have several wiper motors, there's not a lot of space between the outboard, the jackplate and the transom, so for this requirement, it's perfect)
What I need to fabricate is the drivetrain from motor to the massive adjusting bolt, and
Then I need to figure out how to manipulate the 4 locking bolts on the side so that there's no play once they are loosened in order for the jackplate to be adjusted. The only thought here is to insert roller/ball bearings over these bolts and into the grooves/slits that has been cut into the inner part of the jackplate and secure those with spacers/if standard washers won't work.

I am convinced this will make a difference, as to how much, well that is debatable.


 
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #646 on: July 12, 2017, 11:13:47 AM »
Great! Got any figures of your current consumption (litres/nm)?


John i havent worked that out yet.


Ill check on my next trip out and let you know.

That would be great. Keen to compare your figures with peterblace's Tomcat 19 also running 2x90 hp yammies
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #647 on: August 05, 2017, 08:36:12 PM »
Visited my 19ft yeld cat that is in for a complete respray, and I am very impressed with Nigel boating, coming on nicely :happ:
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #648 on: August 13, 2017, 07:09:09 AM »
Did nothing specific on the boat, but spent a few hours servicing spinning reels and fixing my cast net. Amazing how much dirt and salt builds up and how many holes one gets in the net over the years...
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline stephanhavenga

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 156
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gauteng - Pretoria
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #649 on: August 13, 2017, 01:28:35 PM »
I need to replace my boats carpets, who would you guys suggest preferred north of Durban or Richards bay? 

Offline Mal Hannes

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 487
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Johannesburg
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #650 on: August 13, 2017, 05:28:36 PM »
I dreamt about having a boat again.

That's what I did I dreamt about my boat.
Either I am fishing or dreaming of fishing!

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #651 on: August 13, 2017, 06:27:00 PM »
I dreamt about having a boat again.

That's what I did I dreamt about my boat.

That's better than actually having a boat; you can dream about any boat you fancy and it costs nothing!!!
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Mal Hannes

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 487
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Johannesburg
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #652 on: August 13, 2017, 07:12:23 PM »
No no no.

I understand because I have been there.

That is the problem. When I have a boat I worry about the cost and when I don't have a boat I miss the days on the water.
Either I am fishing or dreaming of fishing!

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #653 on: August 14, 2017, 07:27:46 AM »
When I have a boat I worry about the cost and when I don't have a boat I miss the days on the water.


If I lived at the ocean, there's no question, I'd definitely have another offshore boat... But I live about as far away from you sea as you can in SA. So I got myself a small boat that costs pittance to run, flies under the radar for annual licensing and inspections and keeps me on the water regularly... What did I do with my boat on Saturday?... I had a beautiful afternoon on my local dam.  :-)
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Happy Dog

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 596
  • Cred: 78
  • Gender: Male
  • It is called Fishing and not catching
  • Location: Kloof KZN
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #654 on: August 14, 2017, 01:21:00 PM »
Had my yammy 40hp re jetted with smaller jets. Made no difference to the oomph. Fuel consumption was brilliant. On a skivee 500 sport, d 3 up. On 4 cans will go passed ballito from durban, then out deep and bottom fish, and still have fuel left over.

Offline Umpa Lumpa

  • The Ocean is my Haven!!!
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 628
  • Cred: 122
  • Gender: Male
  • The Big Blue Ocean is our Sanctuary
  • Location: Tweni, South Coast.
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #655 on: August 14, 2017, 02:29:12 PM »
Had my yammy 40hp re jetted with smaller jets. Made no difference to the oomph. Fuel consumption was brilliant. On a skivee 500 sport, d 3 up. On 4 cans will go passed ballito from durban, then out deep and bottom fish, and still have fuel left over.

Stop lying, when last did you fish?  (bat (bat (bat

Offline Mal Hannes

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 487
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Johannesburg
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #656 on: August 14, 2017, 02:36:38 PM »


Henk you are spot on, the thoughts are that the 85 yammies was built in a low cost fuel era  They have an enormous amount of grunt.


On my 19ft yeld if I open taps you need to hang on coz she jumps,  I have done 70k/h on Jozini with her and not WOT so I have still some to spare and that is quick enough for me
I believe that a number of charter boats with these motors have jetted down so let us see, will keep you informed


speeds taken from my GPS

Yes those 85's are just legend I had two 85's on a 6m duck and when you were full up with 10 divers and skipper and equipment she did fine.

But when it was only me and those 170 horses she would literally fly. They are thirsty as hell but just ran and ran and ran until the boat sank

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 02:55:53 PM by Mal Hannes »
Either I am fishing or dreaming of fishing!

Offline MichaelK

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 510
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Bluff
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #657 on: August 15, 2017, 10:09:42 AM »
BOAT = B - Bust
            O - Out
            A - Another
            T - Thousand
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 10:14:53 AM by MichaelK »

Offline LGF

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1042
  • Cred: 80
  • Gender: Male
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #658 on: September 11, 2017, 04:26:12 PM »
Thousand/S


Is more like it


Have to fork out R2,3k for new tyres, got a bubble on the side-wall on one tyre and it just popped whilst standing at home in the heat of the sun(thankfully it didn't do that when we were on the road)
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline bassbug

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 401
  • Cred: 14
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: randburg gauteng
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #659 on: December 15, 2017, 11:23:13 AM »
got a second hand ski about two months ago, spending all my free time bringing it to a new status. so stoked with it especially when i have countless hours sanded it to a super gloss finish. allow me to introduce the new ProFisha 525 full carbon. old faithfull, evo 465, hanging on wall will service all my freshwater fishing needs.


 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal