Author Topic: So what did you do with your boat today?  (Read 269158 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #560 on: January 18, 2017, 08:29:54 AM »
After a lot of foul language i eventually managed to link up the Garmin echomap 92 SV to my Standard Horizon 1300 eclipes VHF DSC.
Garmin should give a brief to do list for setting up and linking the 2 units. The manual does give all the info but its scattered all over.

please share with us
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline LGF

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1042
  • Cred: 80
  • Gender: Male
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #561 on: January 18, 2017, 08:41:36 AM »
I've just spent the last hour in my garage to see where you might have placed the surveillance camera, how'd you know?  (bat


Was going to start with the trailer and the hull in Dec but, an unplanned (poorly planned, not on my behalf) trip abroad, spending Christmas in MP and not being able to get material after New Years (the trailer spares shop only opened today) has shifted the start date back a bit.  :cnfzd


Going to get material for the trailer tomorrow. Been sourcing some final bits and supplies the last couple of days.

When I drop a line n durban harbour with my camera tied on the end to take a video of that partial mullet it also seems to magically drop onto your garage


 :rotfl  Remote viewing, man I'm losing touch with all this advancements in Technology :hyst:
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline MichaelK

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 510
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Bluff
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #562 on: January 18, 2017, 08:44:40 AM »
On the garmin,1st you need to go into settings, other vessels then activate DSC. 2nd again in settings you need to go to communications and activate Nema 0183 standard


On the VHF DSC you need to change it from USA to international


The DSC wiring from the garmin has 2 wires (Brown and Blue)  the VHF has 4 wires (Yellow, green, white and brown)
Connect Garmin Brown to VHF green and Garmin Blue to VHF yellow. The VHF white and brown wires are not used


There are 2 additional wires (white and silver) from the VHF, connect that to an external speaker


As easy as that


The problem i had was i did not activate the Nema 0183 standard in communications as i had no guide in the instruction manual indicating what was necessary to be activated before doing the wiring.


I was about to take everything off the boat and take it back to the retailer, when an elderly gent popped his head over the gunnel and kindly offered some advice.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 09:00:35 AM by MichaelK »

Offline LGF

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1042
  • Cred: 80
  • Gender: Male
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #563 on: January 18, 2017, 08:52:12 AM »
Humminbird has similar issues and if there's no info on 'ye ol inter-web' well then it's normally more cursing and head scratching, stronger drinks, more smokes and hopefully the unit/s don't pick up on the operator's habits!
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline LGF

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1042
  • Cred: 80
  • Gender: Male
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #564 on: January 18, 2017, 08:55:39 AM »
Ridiculous how these US companies operate! And dare and complain about something, then, because you're not living in the Continental US and their Arrogance, are told to then buy another company's product if you're not happy with theirs. WTF, seriously?
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline LGF

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1042
  • Cred: 80
  • Gender: Male
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #565 on: January 25, 2017, 10:12:47 PM »
@ Ziggy, I felt so bad for only having a "partial" boat that I decided to get more than a console.


So I went to the bank today and made the payment and bought an interim boat, complete  :happ:
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #566 on: January 25, 2017, 11:02:08 PM »
@ Ziggy, I felt so bad for only having a "partial" boat that I decided to get more than a console.


So I went to the bank today and made the payment and bought an interim boat, complete  :happ:

and what is going to happen to the partial boat? When are we going to be presented with a pic of the interim boat?

Offline LGF

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1042
  • Cred: 80
  • Gender: Male
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #567 on: January 26, 2017, 12:43:41 AM »
Got pics, but those are from the site where it was advertised, should get it at the latest by the end of the week (arrangements needs sorting out) and will take pics from other angles and post.


As for the partial boat  :hehe: , it is still going to be built and the launch deadline is Feb next year. Buying this boat resolved some issues and saved me a ton of money had I gone the route of buying equipment i.e. jackplate, trolling motor, main engine etc etc individually. PLUS I know the motor on the interim boat and it is 100% and it's just the motor I was looking for for the partial boat.


Some issues this buy sorted, is me now having the ability to spend time on the water, of my choice at a time of my choice and going to places on the water, yes again, of my choice. Another is measurements that I need prior to glassing the new hull for oversized holes like the jackplate, which would've required me to buy the jackplate just so that I could know where to drill the holes in the transom. Now as the interim boat has all that, it's easier to measure, build and still have a fully functional rig until the partial build is done, then it's purely a matter of transplanting all the mechanics and some plumbing and electronics over to the partial (then complete) hull.
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline LGF

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1042
  • Cred: 80
  • Gender: Male
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #568 on: January 26, 2017, 09:00:53 PM »
Went to collect my boat (interim boat) and just managed to move her onto a spot on the property when the rain started, so I started the braai, will take pics tomorrow if the weather allows!
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #569 on: January 28, 2017, 02:17:39 PM »
Took the mono out of one of the Makairas 50w. It's about 34o C (in the shade!) and then I decided to spool it with 80 lbs dacron. Used a 15 L bucket with water and 2 tennis balls as drag washers to put proper tension on the line. Black magic harness on and after about 30 min I manged to squeeze 520 m of dacron. Still have space for about 200 m of mono. After that, I was finished!!! The heat is just unberable!!!
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline LGF

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1042
  • Cred: 80
  • Gender: Male
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #570 on: January 29, 2017, 09:54:29 PM »
Ok so on the 27th I installed the Helix 7 on the trolling motor, is a bit of "schlep" to get wire going anywhere, and then the fun started, I had to move two deep cycles from the stern to the bow,  swr , and was paste at the end of the day, but still managed to pack the hardbaits and soft lures, some rods and other odds and ends, before I was completely finished.


Yesterday I sorted out the anchor with chain, rope and the failsafe cable tie, filled the fuel tanks and chatted all 4 batteries (with 1 charger)  :happ: :shk :hyst:


So today I thought would be a nice reward to now go and punish myself a little more by piloting the boat for the first time with a friend "mr Knowitall" as crew, it was a long and very exhausting day, got lots of scronning and and :hyst: :rotfl , but managing everything I didn't crash into, onto or through anything :rotfl . Also managed to boat 3 largemouths (2 rather large and 1 rat) in all this on a 10ft crank.


Tomorrow I have to move the transducer to the transom and the rotation of the trolling motor messes up the side imaging like crazy, go get some marker buoys and drop the seats and move them a little back. One day of piloting this craft in an economy seat was nice but more than enough, need to go Emirates on this one and get the little extra legroom worked in there :hnthnt:
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline LGF

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1042
  • Cred: 80
  • Gender: Male
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #571 on: February 01, 2017, 09:01:54 PM »
So I got the Helix moved to a new spot and it's transducer to thee transom, reinstalled the other smaller Humminbird with sonar at the bow.


Fitted some drink holders to the pedestal seats, washed the carpets, seats, pedestals and the boat.


So tomorrow if the weather holds, I'll take some pics and post.
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #572 on: February 01, 2017, 09:20:41 PM »
Spent the day at Inhaca on a supervision trip as part of our artisanal cathes monitoring. Flat seas and very hot. Beatiful day. Snaped a few pics...









Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline LGF

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1042
  • Cred: 80
  • Gender: Male
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #573 on: February 08, 2017, 10:30:09 AM »
Fitted lights in the hatches and in the foot-well area.

Serviced the steering rod section at the motor.

Relocated some heavy items for better balancing. i.e. # deep cycle batteries.

Took pics but forgot the cable at home so I'll upload them later today.
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #574 on: February 18, 2017, 04:36:37 PM »
Tried to sweep clean my boat shed this morning. Eish... it's amazing how much junk one accumulates over the years... Did quite a bit, but didn't finish it...
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline LGF

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1042
  • Cred: 80
  • Gender: Male
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #575 on: February 18, 2017, 10:06:24 PM »
Tried to sweep clean my boat shed this morning. Eish... it's amazing how much junk one accumulates over the years... Did quite a bit, but didn't finish it...


 :rotfl  Now try "the boat shed" that also double/multiples as a garage, a research center, a production plant of sorts and well just anything that'll get your hands dirty and then imagine the accumulation of CARP!!!
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline LGF

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1042
  • Cred: 80
  • Gender: Male
  • One flew into the Cuckoo's nest
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #576 on: February 18, 2017, 10:12:34 PM »
Bought some spare parts "just for in case" like a primer bulb, some 2-stroke and a very important item, a proper first aid kit and sorted the culling system out.


Made an angled rest from some left over plexiglass that I attached to the inside of the live well lid that also needed some reinforcing, the lid that is, where I can now hang the culling floats. Colour coded, with a laminated colour coded chart that I can use with a dry-wipe marker. Also took some Maglite clamps and secured my lip-grip scale so that it's out of the way but easily accessible and always in the same place :shk :hnthnt:  if you catch my drift.
When I die, will somebody please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend, don't need to do or say anything, just stand there!

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #577 on: March 03, 2017, 09:33:50 PM »
Lost my livebait well lid  on my last outing. Had to buy a whole new 110L Addis bin just for the lid. All sorted now.
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #578 on: March 04, 2017, 03:50:40 PM »
Shew.... spent a good 3 hours making chum and chunks out of old bait (HBs, sards, jap macks, prawns, mullets) that was just getting pilled over in the chest freezer.

Messy work but sorted now!
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Shaun17

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1614
  • Cred: 262
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: So what did you do with your boat today?
« Reply #579 on: March 04, 2017, 03:53:46 PM »
Shew.... spent a good 3 hours making chum and chunks out of old bait (HBs, sards, jap macks, prawns, mullets) that was just getting pilled over in the chest freezer.

Messy work but sorted now!

I need to do the same... freezer is a mess!!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal