Author Topic: How to fish braid on a multiplier (@ Krissi)  (Read 16490 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline kingslide

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 174
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Western Cape
How to fish braid on a multiplier (@ Krissi)
« on: June 28, 2013, 08:46:28 AM »
I have taken the leap and put 30 lbs fireline braid on my SL30SH. Now Krissie a couple of questions:
 
1 Do you fish your setup with a nylon leader and if so how long is the leader
2 what is the diameter of the leader
3 on what lenth of rod is this
4 what size of sinker are you throwing?

Offline krissi

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 789
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Underberg, KZN
Re: How to fish braid on a multiplier (@ Krissi)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 09:52:12 AM »
Hi kingslide
Yes, 0.5mm leader; about 5m or 2 turns on the reel - braid joined to leader by doubling the braid back, 7 turn uni knot with the doubled braid and 3 turn uni knot with the leader.  I did try 50lb braid as a leader but I fish the rocks a lot and it didn't work - I snagged up and lost quite a bit of braid.  If you snag up with a nylon leader, it normally snaps either at the knot or terminal tackle.  This is also why I use quite a long leader.  Play with the length until you find what suits you.
 
About 13ft - I use my Poseidon Stimulator 3.5oz rod or my Assasin Surf Lite (but I am going to have the guides changed on this rod so I can use my 5500 grinder on it)
 
Normally a 3/4 but have cast a 5oz with the Assassin.  Just keep in mind that because I don't have the upper body strength I can push the sinker weight above what is normally recommended for a rod.
 
Please let me know how it goes?  Start by casting gently until you get the feel of it.  Try and keep your thumb running across the spool as you cast, but lightly.  This seems to keep the braid peeling off uniformly.  Sorry, not explaining that very well, hope you understand. Also remember to keep the knot to the side of the spool ( :blush: sorry hope I'm not stating the obvious here).

Offline kingslide

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 174
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Western Cape
Re: How to fish braid on a multiplier (@ Krissi)
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 03:08:01 PM »
Shot Krissi! I will give it a bash this weekend - going to be very amusing...

Offline kingslide

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 174
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Western Cape
Re: How to fish braid on a multiplier (@ Krissi)
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 07:55:47 AM »
Thanks for all the advice Krissie - this set up works really nicely especially between the rocks...

Offline krissi

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 789
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Underberg, KZN
Re: How to fish braid on a multiplier (@ Krissi)
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 08:09:51 AM »
Thanks for all the advice Krissie - this set up works really nicely especially between the rocks...

Only a pleasure - how did you find casting?

Offline Toppie

  • RIP Toppie. What a great man. You will always be an
  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1823
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: How to fish braid on a multiplier (@ Krissi)
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 08:20:33 AM »
I cast 30lbs braid only, on a Saltist 30H, it goes forever have never had an overwind and neither ever risked snaring my "guiding thumb" in the line.
"Everything will be good in the end" - so it cant be the end yet!

Offline kingslide

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 174
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Western Cape
Re: How to fish braid on a multiplier (@ Krissi)
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 08:26:05 AM »
Thanks for all the advice Krissie - this set up works really nicely especially between the rocks...

Only a pleasure - how did you find casting?

A bit tentative in the beginning (and I am still not giving it horns) but getting nice distance... even considering selling my Brand new Ultegra 5 500...

Offline krissi

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 789
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Underberg, KZN
Re: How to fish braid on a multiplier (@ Krissi)
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 08:41:24 AM »
Awesome! Hang onto the 5500 - it is such a lekka reel.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: How to fish braid on a multiplier (@ Krissi)
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 10:56:10 AM »
I had a few casts with Doc's Saltist 30H with 50lb braid... was amazed at how easy it is to cast, no problems!! Think he mentioned that the 50lb braid casts better than 30lb braid on a multiplier due to the thickness? It's easier to control?

Offline kingslide

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 174
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Western Cape
Re: How to fish braid on a multiplier (@ Krissi)
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 10:59:27 AM »
Ja Reefs I was uming and aaaing a lot before I made this leap. After talking to Kris I decided what the hell. Fished for Gallies the whole weekend between rocks and got stuck a couple of times - only loss a sinker or hook trace. Once part of my leader. This is for me the way forward. And Fireline 30lbs is awesome.

Offline ROBYOSH

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 70
  • Cred: 4
  • Gender: Male
  • if u dont stand 4 sumfing ull fall 4 anything
  • Location: Wilderness, Western Cape
Re: How to fish braid on a multiplier (@ Krissi)
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 11:12:11 AM »
Sorry to invade guys but I`ve ben fishing with a 12ft shad pro and my SL30 with braid and tell you one thing no  :nobs:  I moer that sinker further than what I do with my 14ft.


Tell you what I hate using my 14ft now I only fish with my 12ft and sl30 and when you get snagged the chances of getting your sinker out is much more likely than with normal mono.


Down fall no stretch there fore you must be care full when striking or bringinf a fish in use your drag as it often pulls the hook out or tears the lip of the fish.


Good going and enjoy
We might be finished with the past but the past ain`t finished with us

Offline krissi

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 789
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Female
  • Location: Underberg, KZN
Re: How to fish braid on a multiplier (@ Krissi)
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 11:34:41 AM »
It is so awesome reading these comments. I love my little set-up. Now that I use circle hooks there is no need to strike, but I agree with Robyosh, you need to keep a looser drag than with mono to prevent the hooks pulling.
 
@ Reefs, how long has Doc been using braid?  I don't remember him having it when we went to Pomene together?  I know that Tish uses 50lb on her set-up as well. 

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: How to fish braid on a multiplier (@ Krissi)
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 11:40:26 AM »
I think he has only recently started to use it?  :dunno:

Offline kingslide

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 174
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Western Cape
Re: How to fish braid on a multiplier (@ Krissi)
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 11:43:26 AM »
If you know of any one bored with his / her Saltist 30 (not the narrow spool) give hime / her my details please...
 
Reefs give this a try... all I can say I love this...

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: How to fish braid on a multiplier (@ Krissi)
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 11:46:46 AM »
If you know of any one bored with his / her Saltist 30 (not the narrow spool) give hime / her my details please...
 
Reefs give this a try... all I can say I love this...

Saltist 30 for sale?! Think you got more chance of falling pregnant!  :rotfl Never seen one for sale in the classifieds... makes you think, eh?

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: How to fish braid on a multiplier (@ Krissi)
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 12:01:16 PM »
 
If you know of any one bored with his / her Saltist 30 (not the narrow spool) give hime / her my details please...
 
Reefs give this a try... all I can say I love this...

Saltist 30 for sale?! Think you got more chance of falling pregnant!  :rotfl Never seen one for sale in the classifieds... makes you think, eh?

Hmmmm.......

Offline Toppie

  • RIP Toppie. What a great man. You will always be an
  • Ultimate Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 1823
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: How to fish braid on a multiplier (@ Krissi)
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 12:07:43 PM »
Homie will sell his cousin!
"Everything will be good in the end" - so it cant be the end yet!

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: How to fish braid on a multiplier (@ Krissi)
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 12:09:06 PM »
Homie will sell his cousin!

Its a lot worse !!!! :cnfzd

Offline kingslide

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 174
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Western Cape
Re: How to fish braid on a multiplier (@ Krissi)
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 12:20:45 PM »
Homie will sell his cousin!

mmmm Homie can keep his cousin... just want a reel...

Offline doc

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 193
  • Cred: 82
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: How to fish braid on a multiplier (@ Krissi)
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 03:41:44 PM »
It is so awesome reading these comments. I love my little set-up. Now that I use circle hooks there is no need to strike, but I agree with Robyosh, you need to keep a looser drag than with mono to prevent the hooks pulling.
 
@ Reefs, how long has Doc been using braid?  I don't remember him having it when we went to Pomene together?  I know that Tish uses 50lb on her set-up as well.


Krissi I only recently converted to the braid and multiplier just can't get casting distance with the grinder. Went through a lot of different braids. The biggest problem I had is the braid cutting into itself and then you get backlash on the cast. I though what I used was 50lb but actually it was 30lb fireline found the spool yesterday :blush:  sorry Reefs. The key is to get a relatively thick braid that does not cut into itself. The fireline is 0.38mm in thickness.


I remember somebody at nationals mentioning that they found braid of about 0.4mm in thickness worked for him on multipliers.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal