Author Topic: 10 Second Shad Trace  (Read 22440 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Jordz

  • Fishing for men and fish...
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 214
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • I hear the fish calling my name,
  • Location: Ramsgate, Kwa-Zulu Natal
10 Second Shad Trace
« on: February 12, 2013, 10:07:21 AM »
We have all seen these in the tackel shops, and maybe even some of you have wondered if there is any use for them. They make the best shad traces and are quick and easy to make.
Step 1: Decide on what length you make
Step 2: Cutt of the swivel that has the clip attached to it, being careful not to cut the loop in the trace wire
Step 3: Place the free loop through the eye of the hook and loop it back on itself just once, the same as if you are joining your bimminis together.
Step 4: Bait up and begin fishing.
 
The Beauty of this rig is that there is already an swivel attached to the other end of your trace and they are quick and easy to make and cheap. Hope this helps someone
I am unashamed of the one that came down from Heaven, took my place on the cross and died for the forgiveness of my sins, Jesus Christ you rock...

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: 10 Second Shad Trace
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 10:22:01 AM »
I just use thick mono - and have seldom lost a shad to a bite off

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: 10 Second Shad Trace
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 10:39:42 AM »
Nice one Jordz  (clap)

Offline Jordz

  • Fishing for men and fish...
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 214
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • I hear the fish calling my name,
  • Location: Ramsgate, Kwa-Zulu Natal
Re: 10 Second Shad Trace
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 11:43:02 AM »

I just use thick mono - and have seldom lost a shad to a bite off
Ziggy you are very brave to just use think mono, for me the problem is that it is not so much cetting bitten off with mono but rather the repeated damage and then you will eventually loose a fish, this way works just as well and the best is that you will not loose a fish
Nice one Jordz  (clap)
Thanks WK
I am unashamed of the one that came down from Heaven, took my place on the cross and died for the forgiveness of my sins, Jesus Christ you rock...

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: 10 Second Shad Trace
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 12:47:57 PM »

I just use thick mono - and have seldom lost a shad to a bite off
Ziggy you are very brave to just use think mono, for me the problem is that it is not so much cetting bitten off with mono but rather the repeated damage and then you will eventually loose a fish, this way works just as well and the best is that you will not loose a fish
Nice one Jordz  (clap)
Thanks WK


I like your idea Jordz - but I have been using thick mono for years and never really had a problem with losing shad

Offline Armand Steenkamp

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 50
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Plaas tussen kliprand en pofadder
Re: 10 Second Shad Trace
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 05:46:37 PM »
I also just use thick mono. Have never been bitten of..
Diep steek en lank le

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: 10 Second Shad Trace
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 05:53:30 PM »
I also just use thick mono. Have never been bitten of..


My fishing buddies also just use mono - its cheaper, easier and quicker to make traces etc....of course you keep checking that the mono is still fine when you bait up.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: 10 Second Shad Trace
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 07:02:21 PM »
Fine to use mono... until you hook into a 3kg plus Shad. You won't stand a chance!

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: 10 Second Shad Trace
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 07:20:11 PM »
I dont think that 3kg shad exist anymore! So I wont worry....hehe

Offline flippie

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 35
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Swellendam
Re: 10 Second Shad Trace
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 02:34:16 PM »
That 3kg Shad doesnt survive cauze they get eaten by these



Offline Charles

  • The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1142
  • Cred: 77
  • Gender: Male
  • Never ever give up!
  • Location: Mossel Bay and Beni, DRC
Re: 10 Second Shad Trace
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 02:59:04 PM »
Flippie thats an AWESOME toilet roll holder in your avatar!!  duh Ohh and yes a great fishy also!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 04:17:21 PM by Charles »

Offline WJ

  • Team Blacktip
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 298
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: East Londen, Eastern Cape
Re: 10 Second Shad Trace
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 03:29:05 PM »
Ja those 3kg shad still exist, I have hooked more than 6 of those in one session at Gouritz. Smallest being 3.2kg and biggest just under 5kg. So if you use mono for razor blades then it is fine, but that bus will bite you off.

Offline WJ

  • Team Blacktip
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 298
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: East Londen, Eastern Cape
Re: 10 Second Shad Trace
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 03:30:09 PM »
BTW Flippie daai is nie n elf nie, dis n dertien.

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: 10 Second Shad Trace
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 04:05:37 PM »
Ja those 3kg shad still exist, I have hooked more than 6 of those in one session at Gouritz. Smallest being 3.2kg and biggest just under 5kg. So if you use mono for razor blades then it is fine, but that bus will bite you off.


I have never seen one in KZN! Maybe they are around.....I wish

Offline WJ

  • Team Blacktip
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 298
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: East Londen, Eastern Cape
Re: 10 Second Shad Trace
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 04:25:23 PM »
Ja I have also heard that the big ELF stocks are close to non existent in KZN. But in the  Mossel Bay area they are quite full up if you know where to look.

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: 10 Second Shad Trace
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 04:32:40 PM »
Ja I have also heard that the big ELF stocks are close to non existent in KZN. But in the  Mossel Bay area they are quite full up if you know where to look.


its because you guys down there catch them before they have a chance to get to us!

Offline khaliq

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 120
  • Cred: 10
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lower North Coast, KZN
Re: 10 Second Shad Trace
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 04:59:22 PM »
Ja those 3kg shad still exist, I have hooked more than 6 of those in one session at Gouritz. Smallest being 3.2kg and biggest just under 5kg. So if you use mono for razor blades then it is fine, but that bus will bite you off.


I have ver seen one in KZN! Maybe they are around.....I wish
They are around believe you me. They visit a few spots on the lower North Coast every December.
A fish in the water is worth more than two in the hand.

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: 10 Second Shad Trace
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 05:18:55 PM »
Yip my mate got one of 4kg in Ballito on Saturday

Offline khaliq

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 120
  • Cred: 10
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Lower North Coast, KZN
Re: 10 Second Shad Trace
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 06:01:58 PM »
Congrats. That's the area - Ballito to La Mercy lagoon. UA members welcome, no mono please  :fshn:
A fish in the water is worth more than two in the hand.

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: 10 Second Shad Trace
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 08:48:22 PM »

I have always found that swivel they use on those traces suspect , have say that I have never popped one , it is kinda cool , you can have a few premade when the fish are on the bite , nd you cn just clip of , clip on a new one and quikly get your four , easy .Down here , most guys use thick mono , I mean you you can only bag 4 anyway ,I use a clip on swivel tie a few up and use like I mentioned above .
I do however think , when fishing for the BIG ELF like Flippies pic , I would suggest just using a a proper Steel trace .
Places like Gouritz , St Francis and Struis , theres a few BUS elf , and they chew a mono or thin Steel easily.
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal