Author Topic: Monster Drop Shot Lures  (Read 23897 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline PH

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2492
  • Cred: 259
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pringle Bay
Re: Monster Drop Shot Lures
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 04:51:38 AM »
Trolling speed Mike? Very slow? Otherwise they may take off?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 04:52:07 AM by PH »
We civilise left,  we civilise right
Till nothing is left and nothing is right
"Paint your wagon"

Offline jaenswart

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Monster Drop Shot Lures
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 07:15:17 AM »
interesting.


I have done similar thing with the 7" rip tide softs.


You need to ensure you have a hook right at the back, but without influencing the tail action.
I used very light 7strand with small trailing stinger hook.


This exercise can get expensive. My experience, 5 plastics = 1 fish.

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Monster Drop Shot Lures
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 08:51:27 AM »
You can also try using an assist hook. Not many jig heads around that are big enough and even less that have good hooks and none that are reasonably priced. What we did for a guy who fished them in madagascar was to chop the hook shank off leaving you with just a jighead and something to slide into the bait. Then attach your assists to the eye of the jig head with a split ring. It worked well for deep dropshotting but I doubt it would be any use for trolling

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Monster Drop Shot Lures
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2012, 09:31:44 AM »
You can also try using an assist hook. Not many jig heads around that are big enough and even less that have good hooks and none that are reasonably priced. What we did for a guy who fished them in madagascar was to chop the hook shank off leaving you with just a jighead and something to slide into the bait. Then attach your assists to the eye of the jig head with a split ring. It worked well for deep dropshotting but I doubt it would be any use for trolling

Ya that's the way Mark de la Hey used to fish them. Many of the bigger Jigs have poor hooks on them, so cut the hook off just leaving the piece that you can slide the plastic onto. Use a decent hook for the Assist.

Offline dugong

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1676
  • Cred: 54
  • Location: Durban - Warmwater country!!
Re: Monster Drop Shot Lures
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 09:41:03 AM »
interesting.


I have done similar thing with the 7" rip tide softs.


You need to ensure you have a hook right at the back, but without influencing the tail action.
I used very light 7strand with small trailing stinger hook.


This exercise can get expensive. My experience, 5 plastics = 1 fish.


Been there done that, this is what shad do to to a 5" Berkley, went through a packet in 10mins and only landed 3 fish!!
Just Fish!!!

Offline shagnrelease

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Monster Drop Shot Lures
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2012, 01:25:01 PM »
We got graciously given a whole batch of the 10 and 12" lures from stuart at Mcarthy baits, I have used them on the shotgun behind a small bird, with the lead hook just through the top of the Lure and as Hp mentioned an assist hook through the eye of the lead hook, then I pushed the assist down and out through the chin area and then secured it near the tail, this kept the assist cord neat along the belly of the bait. The only thing I recall catching was a yellowfin.
The alternate is to use the the cheapest lead heads you can find and cut the hooks of, and secure the plastic along the holder on the head and have the assist attached in the normal manner this will pull it faster.
they work fantastic as teasers for sailfish and dorado and we have a few daisy chains rigged up with them.

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Monster Drop Shot Lures
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2012, 02:27:00 PM »
Or like this?


What do you call this rig? Kamikaze Sushi?
I like it :hnthnt: 

Offline dugong

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1676
  • Cred: 54
  • Location: Durban - Warmwater country!!
Re: Monster Drop Shot Lures
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2012, 02:27:31 PM »
I think Pakula make a kona with a plastic??
Just Fish!!!

Offline isivuba

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1671
  • Cred: 265
  • Gender: Male
  • Work pays for the fishing trips
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Monster Drop Shot Lures
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2012, 06:21:40 PM »
Rigged for trolling and weightless casting
Mike can I put a 2 ounce sinker just before the rig( sinker as in the tuna rig) so that it slides?  Thanks to you and Homie went to the tackle shop and complained they changed both lures free of charge. So went home with the new lures and came up with this

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Monster Drop Shot Lures
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2012, 08:41:37 PM »
Rigged for trolling and weightless casting
Mike can I put a 2 ounce sinker just before the rig( sinker as in the tuna rig) so that it slides?  Thanks to you and Homie went to the tackle shop and complained they changed both lures free of charge. So went home with the new lures and came up with this

Thats good Mike, I did something similar, just have the sinker fixed right in front of the head, rigging the same way I have shown, but addidng the sinker before I make the front loop and pull it all back to sit snug.
I used a ss welding rod with my original, but its a bit stiff I think, anyway will test it out tomorrow. I have ordered 3 packs so will be able to do other things also and maybe next time use ss cable instead, just need to figure out how to fit a pin in to keep the hook upright

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Monster Drop Shot Lures
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2012, 05:15:17 PM »
I trolled mine rigged as above behind a bird all day on my left rigger. No hits. Looked like it swam well, but its broken now.
 
Have a much better idea for rigging.

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Monster Drop Shot Lures
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2012, 09:19:42 PM »
I trolled mine rigged as above behind a bird all day on my left rigger. No hits. Looked like it swam well, but its broken now.
 
Have a much better idea for rigging.

My bad, after a good inspection, the lure was hit and hit very hard, the wire was buckled and that is what tore the lure apart, also teeth marks where the lure broke.
Definately must be rigged felixible and not stiff.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 09:20:19 PM by Fishing Adventures »

Offline isivuba

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1671
  • Cred: 265
  • Gender: Male
  • Work pays for the fishing trips
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Monster Drop Shot Lures
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2012, 04:24:36 PM »
spin on the lead in front.....it works in the pool and it's life like. Cast this mould and finished it for with a file and sand paper
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 04:27:08 PM by isivuba »

Offline isivuba

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1671
  • Cred: 265
  • Gender: Male
  • Work pays for the fishing trips
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Monster Drop Shot Lures
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2012, 04:26:35 PM »
final lure.... think it would work best trolling

Offline jaenswart

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Monster Drop Shot Lures
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2012, 06:05:05 PM »
final lure.... think it would work best trolling

looking good.....lets just hope there is no couta around :-)

Offline dodger

  • always willing to help
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1736
  • Cred: 164
  • Gender: Male
  • poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
  • Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: Monster Drop Shot Lures
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2012, 07:49:14 PM »
I think Thommo's Tiggerfish lure would work as well out at sea
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=9986.0
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA

Offline isivuba

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1671
  • Cred: 265
  • Gender: Male
  • Work pays for the fishing trips
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Monster Drop Shot Lures
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2012, 08:38:32 PM »
I think Thommo's Tiggerfish lure would work as well out at sea
We talking big lures Doger those lures of Thommo are a third of the size.... may work for bait fish. I used a no 8 VMC hook and the hook looks tiny in the lure. Will see going to test in the sea soon. The lip (lead) I made is for trolling at a constant depth of 1m not jigging or poping. If my calculation and testing is correct should have some takes at sea.

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Monster Drop Shot Lures
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2012, 09:08:55 PM »
Looks good, will post my head when I get a chance.

Offline super_daav

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 855
  • Cred: 74
  • Gender: Male
  • Lower Zambezi 2009
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: Monster Drop Shot Lures
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2012, 07:56:55 AM »
This sounds interesting Mike. I like the idea of trolling soft plastics! I wonder if one could generate enough speed on ski to create a bite on them?
Kingfisher.co.za
Official Daiwa agent

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Monster Drop Shot Lures
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2012, 07:59:25 AM »
This sounds interesting Mike. I like the idea of trolling soft plastics! I wonder if one could generate enough speed on ski to create a bite on them?
No, but on a ski those big paddle tails work well

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal