0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
K.... this may be a pleb question of note... so apologies in advance from a dedicated R/S angler.Can someone explain to me why these reels are so expensive? I mean, what technology have they got to justify their cost? They cost the same as some of the top of the range R/S reels, but at least those have some components, as in gears, bearings, drag systems, braking systems etc etc. What does a fly reel have that justifies the ridiculous price?Or am I missing something here? Enlighten me please!
Quote from: REEFMAN on May 11, 2012, 05:52:09 PMK.... this may be a pleb question of note... so apologies in advance from a dedicated R/S angler.Can someone explain to me why these reels are so expensive? I mean, what technology have they got to justify their cost? They cost the same as some of the top of the range R/S reels, but at least those have some components, as in gears, bearings, drag systems, braking systems etc etc. What does a fly reel have that justifies the ridiculous price?Or am I missing something here? Enlighten me please! There is absolutely NO JUSTIFICATION for the rediculous prices asked for f/f reels and rods. It seems to me that over the years f/f has been percieved as a rich man's sport and the prices have been adjusted accordingly, which is just so WRONG. I have a Shimano Ultegra fly reel, which cost me R 700, 5 years ago. I have 2 smallish Shimano spinning reels, which combined cost less than the flyreel.