Author Topic: new setup  (Read 5693 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline smiley6996

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 88
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: pe
new setup
« on: April 15, 2012, 03:05:29 PM »
how much will it cost to get a grinder set up more or less or how much did you pay for yours and what is it i dont need a rolaysros a vw set is fine as long as it works and is reliable thanks guys

Offline QuQ

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 169
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: new setup
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 03:21:51 PM »
I just got a 7' Daiwa Megaforce (R250) with the newly launched Shimano Stradic 5000FJ (R1600). Very happy!

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: new setup
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 04:24:56 PM »
Smiley it will depend what you would like to target? Obviously the heavier tackle will be a bit more pricey

Offline smiley6996

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 88
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: pe
Re: new setup
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 04:32:04 PM »
Don't want to catch monster sharks but at the same time don't want to fish with a peashooter but I mostly traget edds

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: new setup
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 04:39:16 PM »
The beachmaster medium rod setup for a grinder goes for just over R2k if I'm not mistaken. The other option is looking at a posedion medium and getting that redone for a grinder. That would be about R1500-R2000 depending on who redoes it and where you get the rod.

For the reel I would look at either the ultegra 10000 +- R1500-R2000 or perhaps the new daiwa wind cast. I can't help much with that reel perhaps Nemesis can help I think he has one? The daiwa opus series is also a consideration walkerskiller can tell you a bit more.

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: new setup
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 04:41:16 PM »
As for the braid I can't help you! I had HMP on my reel but really not happy with that. Jigman is definitely the industry leader BUT prepare to sell your house to pay for it

Offline plonker

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 107
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: tongaat
Re: new setup
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 08:31:11 PM »
Hi I got a poseidon HMG medium rod for a spinning reel at kingfisher about a year ago, I do not know whether they still make them.

Offline smiley6996

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 88
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: pe
Re: new setup
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 08:35:18 PM »
I am looking for some thing in the 12 to 13ft range that can cast a 3 to 4oz sinker

Offline plonker

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 107
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: tongaat
Re: new setup
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 08:42:30 PM »
Have a look at the poseidon HMG lite I have one but for a pen type reel, just love that rod goes with me every time I go fishing, can cast from 3oz to 5oz sinkers.

Offline smiley6996

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 88
  • Cred: 2
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: pe
Re: new setup
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 08:47:19 PM »
Tnx plonker I will check it out maybe I can convert it to a spinning rod

Offline Hooked

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 256
  • Cred: 16
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbanville , Cape Town
Re: new setup
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
Dont buy anything , there is a budget priced Stella on its way  :shmno: hold thumbs

Offline Nemesis.

  • The Karou Charou
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 182
  • Cred: 66
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mandeni _ KZN Northcoast
Re: new setup
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 10:22:09 PM »
Hey Smiley.I've fished with a few  grinder setups so far.There are a few budget setups that are lekker.If you want a one piece,look at a Purglass 400/3 or BM400/4 they make awesome.grinder.rods. If you want a 3piece rod,Shimano Exage 1468,orignal Assassin Beachmaster,Poseidon Medium,Loomis 6-8oz.All the mentioned rods will cost you less then R1000 if you buy them second hand.Thereafter you need to send them in to get the guides properly spaced out.Another R300 or so for new guides and binding.When it comes to reels,well theres the Daiwa Emblem Pro 5000(R1000 or so),Daiwa Windcast 5500(R1700 to R2500) and obviouly the Shimano Ultegra.You can use a regular coffee grinder,but you will lose a little distance.Rather spend the little extra here and have a reel to last you a life time!Braid,best bang for buck braid that i've come across is Okuma Oxma 48lb,flipping strong,no color loss after 2years and no break.offs yet.Look to spend about R600 -R700 on.braid.Remember  braid is going to last you a whole lot longer then mono.So spend on a good quality braid.A grinder setup will cost alot initially,but trust me,you will never look back!It took me 2years to save up for my setup,but i love it sooo much.Mines consist of an Assassin Heavy(R4000),Daiwa Windcast(R1700),One spool Whiplash (-+R1000)and one spool backing and topshot Oxma(R1000).Dont russ into things.Rather save up and get something that you will love!
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal