Author Topic: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds  (Read 21808 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Wynand13

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Krugersdorp
Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 05:26:55 PM »
Need some advise please? Noticed some massive Koi recently in a dam does anyone know what flie to use, I tried most in my box, floating to sinking, did not get a strike. I plan on visiting again soon, and would love to catch one of those wild Koi... Just to say I did... 
There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 05:36:56 PM »
I know Wynand dont know why they condone it, but yes if we want to get rid of the Grass Carp all others must go!

Catching Koi on fly would be great... I presume they would feed similarly to a carp. The best way is to throw small pieces of bread and bread crust onto the water let them feed and present the smallest roundest and fluffiest white dry fly you have!

Alternatively throw some ground feed into the water and fish a small olive GRHE close to the bottom, static!

Offline Wynand13

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Krugersdorp
Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, 09:07:44 AM »
    WK
  Thanks I think we must arrange a trip to that dam, my friend advised me  yesterday that he tried catching one with his Bait net and it totally destroyed  the net.
  I did try the bread trick even had a green and red Sun Juan worm literally  centimetres in front of its eyes, swam around it and did not take the bait.  They ones I saw were close to a metre so I think I will have to take my 9WT  rig.. The dam is in the eastern Free State, the farmer said that he wanted to  see if Koi would survive and let them free about 20 years ago, so as you can  imagine they are big by now.. I found this article so clearly it’s been done  before...  http://theangle.net/2008/06/13/what-the-koi/
 
There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, 09:12:25 AM »
Very interesting! I would love to fish that dam and if the flies dont produce, theres always time for a bit of papgooi  :hnthnt:

Offline Wynand13

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Krugersdorp
Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 09:19:01 AM »
    No one ever  fish there so I will see when we can get the farmers permission again, will pm  you as soon as I get details it will be limited to x amount, but will let UA  know if I get a go ahead..
There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 09:23:35 AM »
Sounds awesome Wynand!!!!

Offline Luke13

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 43
  • Cred: 5
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Fourways
Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 09:43:05 AM »
Interesting to read History of trout ends with Koi fishing... That should be interesting to do, if the invite goes out, please count me in?
Now you just opened a new can of worm, Koi cant be good for our water systems?
I heard that some farmers use Rotenone to get rid of alien water plants in their dams and then re stock dams, but the effect is massive as it kills everything and there are millions of organisms that we dont realise we have in the water..
Recently fished Belfast and the Bass is a pain there, the people actually ask you not to C&R bass, so they seem to be a bigger problem than trout. I must agree on issue of Grass Carp however as far as I know only male carps gets released?

Offline Wynand13

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Krugersdorp
Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 10:59:19 AM »
Luke will arrange and to my best to get as many spots as possible, as this is on a private farm I will let you know if I get lucky... As Jooste said to me recently, sign up for Flytalk and read up on Rotenone, you will find everything you want on it there. With regards to Belfast, was there about a year ago and noticed that trout fishing is not so big anymore, sad to see, but the Bass fishing was great...
There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 11:14:09 AM »
The most prolific and destructive invasive alien is us! maybe we should also get a dose of rotenone?

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 11:49:29 AM »
Yip good points guys!

On the Belfast topic I have even heard they are doing specimen carp tournaments now  :shk

I wont ever release a Grass Carp...

Offline Wynand13

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Krugersdorp
Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 11:53:22 AM »
Ziggy I do agree that we cause most issues.. And we introduced the aliens so its not their fault..

WK - Seems like you have something personal against the crass Carp???

Sad that the heart of Trout fishing of only a few years ago now have carp tournaments...  :cnfzd
There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2012, 11:59:08 AM »
Yeah I do Wynand... The Grass Carp is related closely to the Silver Carp, I have seen some ridiculous footage of how the Silver Carp is taking over Bass dams in the US and I think the Grass Carp will eventually do the same. I would love to catch a Grassie on fly though!

I am not going to lie I love Trout Bass and Carp, but I would rather see our own fish flourish!

Offline Wynand13

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Krugersdorp
Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2012, 12:33:46 PM »
WK Totally agree on rather see our local fish..

The Carp do destroy a lot, do you by any chance have a link to video you watched on this? Would like to have a look.. The problem with them is they can survivie in Hot and Cold water so we will really have to kill everything in the river systems that is just impossible to do in order for us to be rid of them.
Trout is also invasive, but just in cold water that makes them an isolated problem. I do have a personal issue with carp in general due to this, I know that not all are as bad, but they still cause problems in our waters, we will unfortunately have to live with it...

There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng

Offline Wynand13

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Krugersdorp
Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2012, 12:50:44 PM »
 :shre: Looks like a fun way to fish... Wonder what we will get if we go through our rivers with the same system...
Sad that a noble idea by someone led to this..
There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2012, 01:12:02 PM »
Yeah exactly! Imaging the Vaal turned into that  :cnfzd

Offline Wynand13

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Krugersdorp
Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2012, 02:03:37 PM »
 :cnfzd Vaal
 :cnfzd And all other rivers in South Africa...
 Think we must  (bat get one of those boats and do something about it...
There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

Offline Luke13

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 43
  • Cred: 5
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Fourways
Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2012, 02:12:10 PM »
Do we know if anyone ever tried something similar to count fish in our rivers? Where can we get those reports?

Offline Wynand13

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Krugersdorp
Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »
 :dunno: Anybody knows if these stats are availible at all?
There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: The History Of Trout In South Africa & What The Future Holds
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2012, 02:45:30 PM »
Dont know either  :-(

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal