Author Topic: How many anglers use long leaders?  (Read 11216 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
How many anglers use long leaders?
« on: January 28, 2012, 05:10:36 PM »
After cracking my line off twice at our last GP social I'm interested to know how many guys use a longer leader on grinders and what you use?

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: How many anglers use long leaders?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 05:39:17 PM »
Brad, let me be the first... as you know, I have always advocated casting bigger weights off a Grinder with a good piece of leader still sitting on the spool... no chance of breaking off on the cast... but you knew that already, so let's hear what te other guys say... btw... still really pissed with you for throwing my beautiful artificial simulated bait (7 oz) into the middle of LKop dam... (NOT!) - we live and learn!!
 w;k

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: How many anglers use long leaders?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 05:56:56 PM »
Believe me Reefz I was very embarrassed :blush: not even 4 hours under my care and I've drowned it duh

I am definitely going to be moving to a longer leader. I'm just not sure what method Ill use. A standard mono leader? 50lb dacron to make a wind on? 100lb braid leader? Then how to join it?

Offline Fritz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: How many anglers use long leaders?
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 06:24:46 PM »
Bradley for the time I did it, I used 100/150lb Dacron. Thats if I wanted to use a long leader otherwise only the short one.

Offline Nemesis.

  • The Karou Charou
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 182
  • Cred: 66
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Mandeni _ KZN Northcoast
Re: How many anglers use long leaders?
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 09:49:06 PM »
Believe me Reefz I was very embarrassed :blush: not even 4 hours under my care and I've drowned it duh

I am definitely going to be moving to a longer leader. I'm just not sure what method Ill use. A standard mono leader? 50lb dacron to make a wind on? 100lb braid leader? Then how to join it?
Haha remember you said you feel safer using straight braid with no leader???? Don't remember the specific thread tho :crzy hehe will try and put up a thread about casting with a grinder, the knots and best/simplest  technique to get good distance.Will put it up in the course of the week.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: How many anglers use long leaders?
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 10:49:35 PM »
Thanks Nemz I look forward to your tut.

To be honest I'm still not 100% keen on adding a long leader. I don't like the extra connections and the fact that many good fish have been landed without it leaves me wondering about why I can't cast without it. Having said that, not having a leader obviously doesn't work for my casting style (more arse than class :hehe:) so its a little bit pointless continuing to make the same mistakes simply because its not the way everyone is doing it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 10:59:24 PM by Half-Pint »

Offline strandloper

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 588
  • Cred: 66
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney, Australia
Re: How many anglers use long leaders?
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 10:59:46 AM »
HP,
Far form being an expert on this, but I lost a few spoons and plugs last year on the shorter leader and then went and changed the top three eyes of the spinning rod to accomodate longer leaders.

In December I tried it, and found that it has made a massive difference. Feel like I can push a bit harder on the heavier plugs, but I am not even close to 7oz. Talking of 3-4 oz on 20lb braid here.

I have also tried changing the casting technique to be similar to casting big sinkers with my shark outfit and that seems to take some of the shock of the cast as well.

Num 6: 24 -26

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: How many anglers use long leaders?
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 11:19:08 AM »
Well some interesting info has come to light since yesterday! Will fill everyone in once I'm done testing my braid

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: How many anglers use long leaders?
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 08:10:07 PM »
Hmmm... don't think it's your fault at all Brad...!

Tested the HMP Braid on your reel... nothing scientific, but the 50lb HMP Braid broke at 19lb for 5 tests!!
Thought that's odd...! Checked some other braids...

Tuffline 30lb broke at 25lb!
Jigman 65lb broke at 46lb
Powerpro Red 50lb broke at 21lb
Whiplash 30lb broke at 20lb

There's something very wrong with your HMP braid, bud!!

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: How many anglers use long leaders?
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 08:19:34 PM »
After our chat this morning I tested my spool of 33lb HMP braid. Averaged out at about 26lb and broke every time on the 50 turn bimini. Pretty much what you would expect BUT during my tests I had 3 break between 12lb and 14lb and on the mainline not my knot! Worrying stuff indeed

Offline Action Man

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 432
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: How many anglers use long leaders?
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 08:28:59 PM »
You not the only one having problems. the last 2 spools i have bought had the same thing happening, braid just popping randomly. Few friends had the same problem.
I lost a very nice fish on the Hmp during a very prestigious comp early december and I will never use the HMP braid again! dont know what they have done with the bradi when it first came out I would have sworn by it now i dont think I would fish for bronze bream with it
A wise man once told me life is to short for ugly girls and cheap fishing tackle!

Offline Royboy

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 303
  • Cred: 16
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: How many anglers use long leaders?
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 09:26:17 PM »
Shewee.... that is scary!

We have this relationship with Jerry Bown in the USA. Friggen EXPENSIVE, hard to get, takes forever to arrive in SA (all the gripes possible). So expensive that it doesn't make commercial sense to import it! But we still do.........

A few "Pro's!"

Overtests consistently.
No Supplier in this country has spectra braid that will compete with JB. Performance!
NEVER FAILS!!!!
EVERY SINGLE REEL in Jigstar Africa's arsenal is spooled up with it!

No jokes - I know that every braid under the sun is available in SA at various pricepoints, but go and DO YOUR RESEARCH (not visiting your local tackle store - USE THE INTERNET - That is what you are reading NOW!!!!!!)

Go and LOOK at websites like www.360tuna.com and SEE what the International anglers experiences are. (They have more daily visitors and participants than every forum in SA put together. They're Americans, I know.... but comparitively?  Uuuuuuumh, in my opinion .....Look at 360tuna!!!!).

What about www.gtpopping.com? Aussies! Best GT Popping site in the world (Brandon Khoo and Luke Wyrstra). Wealth of information - assured a little more info than you will get at your local tackle store!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are Kiwi sites, websites in Singapore, UK, in fact so many where you can get QUALITY information before you hand over your credit card. I can already see that that the average angler is becoming more "educated" thanks to the internet..... some of the "traditional tackle retailers" in SA are going to have to adapt or change their primary business focus.... otherwise, the downward spiral commences!!!

In English - there will be very little bs***... playing fields are being leveled. Discount and Cost will carry less value than performance! Performance is King!

As I recall, HMP is local - South Coast? Convey your info to them, give them a chance to resolve and improve (in the interim use proven top QUALITY braid) and when they resolve the problems, revert back to HMP. They will get it right at some stage - they've made the R&D and Production Investment!

Sorry about this essay...... do the homework guys, do the homework!


Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: How many anglers use long leaders?
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 02:19:59 PM »
I've got JB 40lb solid as mainline on one of my spools. I use 6m 130lb JB hollow as a leader. It is the best braid I have ever used. 

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: How many anglers use long leaders?
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 02:21:28 PM »
I've got JB 40lb solid as mainline on one of my spools. I use 6m 130lb JB hollow as a leader. It is the best braid I have ever used.

Casting good?

Offline AndriesH

  • Dassie Destroyer - In die Kol dol
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 481
  • Cred: 69
  • Gender: Male
  • Here lives a cumfy fisherman and his lovely wife.
  • Location: Johannesburg
Re: How many anglers use long leaders?
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 02:40:00 PM »
Interesting topic.
Not going into braid reliability so here's my leader use:

1/ With braid on grinder:
I always have a leader as I've been cut during the cast 4 times too many. And braid cuts deep!!!!!!

2/ I try to fish lightish on the main line, e.g. 15lbs on dropshot (no real problem here), 30lbs on scratching and 50lbs on heavy tackle.
I cast sinkers to there where the sun rises, excluding the line.

So I've adopted a factor of 12 for sinker to leader ratio, simply to keep the sinker attached.
5 Oz sinker = 60lbs leader etc. Works for me.
Tapered leaders give me thicker ends for sharp stuff under water.
I'm going fishing, I'm going fishing, I'm going fishing

Offline Royboy

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 303
  • Cred: 16
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: How many anglers use long leaders?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 03:56:41 PM »
Yup Tony - casting is good! Better than good. Sorry about the self-serving promotion of gear that we sell..... but when it's the best, it's the best. Simple Google searches and a few hours of reading support this, and experiences on the water with BIG FISH reinforce it!

On my Stella 10000FA, spooled up with JB Hollow 130lb (tests to 150)! Compromised capacity for THICKER diameter and STRENGTH. No such thing as a wind knot! Bugger the wind! As I recall..... I have around 170m on the spool. No leader on the spool, leader starts between rod guides 1 and 2. Index finger is casting on braid!

Before my 1st cast for GTs I have the drag at MAXIMUM. Perfect! I can take a BIG GUN to a Gunfight!

My little Stella SW 10000. The standard spool has JB Hollowcore 100lb. (in fact, the Penn Torque S5 that went back to Beyond Fishing had JB Hollow 100 on it - brand new, never been abused on a big fish, courtesy of us!).

The JM Monster 16K spool upgrade will get the same treatment! JB 100 Hollow. Lots of it. (it tests to 130lb). No brainer! Same story, drag set to MAXIMUM before the 1st cast! Of Guns and Gunfights???

Now... leader length?

I WILL GET SHOT DOWN FOR THIS!!!!

But!

Short is good. Period. No farkups

I believe that we should NOT have leader on the spool! Nor under our index fingers with Fixed Spool reels when casting!! Into the guides is fine, but NOT on the reel. Not under the finger.

No issues, works every time a coconut..... NO wind knots, NO LOST FISH due to a miserable cast. No
problems.

It works properly for popping - it HAS to work well for R&S

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: How many anglers use long leaders?
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 04:04:19 PM »
Hey Roy,

Whats the average cast weight of a popper ? aslo, whats the distance you generally cast a popper ?

Offline Royboy

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 303
  • Cred: 16
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: How many anglers use long leaders?
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 04:04:51 PM »
Oh yes.... we ALWAYS wear gloves! The Jigging & Popping gloves that have been asked about?

ALWAYS WEAR GLOVES!!!!

If you don't wear them now, after a few good fish I'm sure you will later!!!! As Fag as it may sound.... there are some SOLID REASONS to wear gloves!!!!!!

Offline Royboy

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 303
  • Cred: 16
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: How many anglers use long leaders?
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 04:10:49 PM »
Homie - not sure (unmeasured - I guess 60-70m on the HEAVY rod, with BIG wind resistant Poppers) and on the lighter stickbaits (on lighter rod) maybe 10-20m further? I may be way off here, but probably erring on the conservative side.

On a boat, distance is NOT the biggest issue (you can move closer to the action).

Great topic here!

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: How many anglers use long leaders?
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 04:14:19 PM »

ALWAYS WEAR GLOVES!!!!

If you don't wear them now, after a few good fish I'm sure you will later!!!! As Fag as it may sound.... there are some SOLID REASONS to wear gloves!!!!!!

Perfect ! Was just wondering the effect of casting the whole day on braid !

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal