Welcome,
Guest
. Please
login
or
register
.
Did you miss your
activation email
?
1 Hour
1 Day
1 Week
1 Month
Forever
Login with username, password and session length
Home
Recent Topics
Forum
Login
Register
ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
»
FRESHWATER ANGLING
»
Fly fishing
»
Wading Boots for the Vaal
« previous
next »
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Go Down
Author
Topic: Wading Boots for the Vaal (Read 4739 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Fishy
The GT we all aspire to..
Member
Posts: 72
Cred: 0
Gender:
Location: Waikato, New Zealand
Wading Boots for the Vaal
«
on:
January 27, 2012, 03:33:13 PM »
Gents,
I'm looking for wading boots, especially for wading in the vaal river in search of yellows.
Any tips or recommendations, i.e. rubber soles vs felt, type and brand, etc., will be appreciated.
Logged
wernerm
Guest
Re: Wading Boots for the Vaal
«
Reply #1 on:
January 27, 2012, 04:14:43 PM »
If I had to buy a new pair I'd definitely go for Chota's. I've got the felt sole ones, they've lasted me 5 seasons and they still look brand new. It's the same ones as Herman Jooste's got.
Logged
Homie
Retired
Posts: 0
Cred: 0
Gender:
Re: Wading Boots for the Vaal
«
Reply #2 on:
January 27, 2012, 06:43:46 PM »
I'm by no means an expert, had my 1st ever Vaal Shuufle on Sunday, and saw my gat !
The felt soled ones are the best, Rory, Nico and Herman swear by them, and that's good enough for me !
Logged
Herman Jooste
Senior Member
Posts: 682
Cred: 58
Gender:
Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Wading Boots for the Vaal
«
Reply #3 on:
January 27, 2012, 08:50:39 PM »
For a first buy the Chota's are good ito of price and wearability. My first pair lasted 3 years, fishing around 30 - 40 times a year.
Being a "fool" I bought a pair of Allbrights on recommendation at twice the price, and gave my Chota's to a student. The Allbrights didn't last a year.I bought another pair, thinking maybe I had not looked after them propery. They fell apart after 13 months.
Guess what, I'm wearing Chota's again.
There are other reasonably priced boots on the market, i.e. Snowbee's, around the same price, as the Chota's. I can not comment though as I have never owned any or had first reports on them.
Then you get the "TOP END", like the SIMMS Freestones, etc. After many adverse reports on Flytalk, it appears that these boots are Top End on price only
, with boots falling apart after only 6 trips on the Cape Streams
Logged
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".
dodger
always willing to help
Ultimate member
Posts: 1736
Cred: 164
Gender:
poverty is hereditary, you get it from your kids
Location: Alberton Gauteng
Re: Wading Boots for the Vaal
«
Reply #4 on:
January 28, 2012, 07:26:48 PM »
what do you pay for and where can you get Chotas? I used to use my hitech boots which were not bad but still slipped around a bit.
Logged
when I die, may my wife not sell my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it... and I have bought more, a severe case of TA
Hooch
Banned
Posts: 330
Cred: 33
Gender:
Fear no Fish
Location: Pretoria
Re: Wading Boots for the Vaal
«
Reply #5 on:
January 28, 2012, 08:02:41 PM »
They about R500 to R600 a pop!
Logged
schloshd1
Member
Posts: 278
Cred: 31
Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Wading Boots for the Vaal
«
Reply #6 on:
January 29, 2012, 02:15:04 PM »
I would definitely go with the felt soled chotas. I dont think that anything else in their price bracket will come close.
Logged
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks
Fishy
The GT we all aspire to..
Member
Posts: 72
Cred: 0
Gender:
Location: Waikato, New Zealand
Re: Wading Boots for the Vaal
«
Reply #7 on:
January 31, 2012, 01:16:07 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I had a look at the Adams creek @ around R700 and the STL plus at around R1200-R1600. The only difference I can see is that the felt sole of the STL can be removed and replaced.
What type of chota's would you recommend
Logged
Rory
Ultimate member
Posts: 1270
Cred: 175
Gender:
Re: Wading Boots for the Vaal
«
Reply #8 on:
January 31, 2012, 02:29:02 PM »
I'd say its up to your budget. My "Abrahams Creek" have at least four seasons behind them and all I've managed is to snap one lace. Very good value for money. Just remember to clean all the mud off the felt before leaving them to dry!
Logged
wernerm
Guest
Re: Wading Boots for the Vaal
«
Reply #9 on:
January 31, 2012, 05:19:06 PM »
Ja but remember you are swimming most of the time
Just kidding, must check those out when i see you again
Logged
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Go Up
« previous
next »
ULTIMATE ANGLING - the Ultimate SA Fishing website
»
FRESHWATER ANGLING
»
Fly fishing
»
Wading Boots for the Vaal
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal