Author Topic: Fishing Etiquette  (Read 29106 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Fishing Etiquette
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 10:15:33 PM »
Wynand, sign up on www.flytalk.co.za.
Then register on the forums.
Then go to the search button on top tool bar on the right, type in Rotenone, and spend the next 2 days reading. :shk
 
There is no ways that they could Rotenone any larger river, least of all the Vaal and Orange.
 
To me, it's a "pipe dream" dream't up by the sole importer of Rotenone, who also happens to be a CPS member. :cnfzd
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Wynand13

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Krugersdorp
Re: Fishing Etiquette
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 07:46:36 AM »
Hi Herman
 :shre: Signed up and will be reading the next few days it seems.
There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

Offline Wynand13

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Krugersdorp
Re: Fishing Etiquette
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 10:04:02 AM »
    I want to add something to my first post on etiquette. I noticed  this weekend something that is very concerning for me. I went to Klein Paradys,  they allow all kinds of fishing and that is totally fine with me. Again the  issue of respect comes in. If a fly fisherman cast he needs at least 5m clear  to whatever hand he is casting from.
The other issue I picked up is that people are casting over  other peoples lines and this caused a lot of confrontation.
Lastly at these commercial dams, I would like to know, as I  was told once, that by doing the normal throwing in of the leftover bait into  the water you can actually kill fish as it can become toxic when its overdone,  and looking at the amount of MieleBom going into the small dams I wonder what  the effect could be. Does anybody know?
http://www.questbaits.com/pdf/016_Bait_Quest_Pellets.pdf
There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Fishing Etiquette
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 10:14:29 PM »
Wynand, as far as left over bait is concerned, put it in the black refuse bag that you brought with you. In my opinion the only thing ANY fisherman should leave behind is his footprints.
 
As faras casting over other other's lines etc. is concerned, I would not be fishing there.
 
I like to enjoy my fishing, in my "Own Space". Which is why flyfishing is so great, the f/f needs and is given space, so you are basically fishing in solitude, although you may be able to see the others on the river.
 
Fishing etiquette in it's simplest form is respect your fellow fisherman and his area of fishing.
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline Wynand13

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 285
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Krugersdorp
Re: Fishing Etiquette
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 10:56:46 AM »
    Hi Herman
  I agree with you, thing is we test waters once... I fly-fish, so I make sure I  take my bait with and do not leave it in the water, just think these places  would not assume everyone have for  the fish and make some rules protecting their own dams... I lam huge on my own  space and that is the main reason I took up fly-fishing. Just wish that the  crowd  would one day pick up on it. AND I KNOW not all are the same and I should not generalise....
There’s more to life than fishing – a significant small bit that I haven’t figured out yet….

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal