Author Topic: Tanzania - Mwangaza  (Read 5542 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Skipjack

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 11
  • Cred: 1
  • just living the dream
  • Location: Joburg ,Gauteng
Tanzania - Mwangaza
« on: July 20, 2011, 12:59:34 PM »
I am off to Mwangaza Tanzania in a month's time and I am super excited . Can anyone give some more info on lures and tackle ?
 
Thank you
my biggest fear is that when I die , my wife will sell my tackle for what I said I paid for it !

Offline Tommo

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1188
  • Cred: 220
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pennington
Re: Tanzania - Mwangaza
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 01:23:25 PM »
Hey Sam! I am excited for you mate!
 
Definitely take some large cup faced poppers and rig them with a strong single on the back and two strong singles back to back on the belly, use a small cable tie to hold them back to back. I am enjoying the VMC 9264OB singles for that job. I would get some in 11/0 and 13/0. Also some good stick baits, the best I have used so far are the Jigstar Africa Ulua stickbaits in the 150 size.
80lb braid should be fine for popping, and 100lb for jigging. I would take some jigs around 150g and 200g for that area.
Make some twisty leaders as per Reefman's tutorial, they must be just long enouigh to make one wrap around the spool when casting. This takes a lot of strain off your finger when casting, and gives you a great shock absorber when a GT hits that lure. I would make them from 150lb Sufix Zippy leader, it is great material for the job. Add a piece of around a metre of 200lb fluoro to the front of that with a ball bearing swivel with an owner split ring on the end to connect your lures. Make sure that you have a good pair of split ring pliers handy for changing lures and hooks.
 
I am sure you will have a belter of a trip, and I look forward to hearing about it when yo get back!

Offline Skipjack

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 11
  • Cred: 1
  • just living the dream
  • Location: Joburg ,Gauteng
Re: Tanzania - Mwangaza
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 01:30:06 PM »
Thank you Tommo . We booked this trip quite some time ago and its almost time to stand in the que at the airport knowing that we are way over the allowed baggage weight limit .We are same crowd that visited you at Rio Azul so as you can imagine chaos will be the order after fishing
 
Will see you at the boat show - once again thank you for the advice
my biggest fear is that when I die , my wife will sell my tackle for what I said I paid for it !

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Tanzania - Mwangaza
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 01:40:01 PM »
Skipjack... here's a report on what you can expect...  :hnthnt:  get excited now!! And give James Taylor my best regards...
 
http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php?topic=39.0

Offline Skipjack

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 11
  • Cred: 1
  • just living the dream
  • Location: Joburg ,Gauteng
Re: Tanzania - Mwangaza
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 01:46:21 PM »
will do , thank you - just copied your tutorial on the twisty leader - definately looks the bussiness
my biggest fear is that when I die , my wife will sell my tackle for what I said I paid for it !

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Tanzania - Mwangaza
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 01:53:22 PM »
Shot, they're the bomb!  :tite in Kilwa!

Offline Skipjack

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 11
  • Cred: 1
  • just living the dream
  • Location: Joburg ,Gauteng
Re: Tanzania - Mwangaza
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »
really enjoyed your report Tony , will give James your best
my biggest fear is that when I die , my wife will sell my tackle for what I said I paid for it !

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Tanzania - Mwangaza
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 02:45:45 PM »
 :tite Skipjack!!!

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Tanzania - Mwangaza
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 04:21:45 PM »
Eish I am jealous  :envy :tite & we await your great report.


@ Reefz I don't get tired of reading & checking your Kilwa report......................AMAZING!

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Tanzania - Mwangaza
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 03:58:42 PM »
@ Skipjack how did your Kilwa trip go?

Offline Skipjack

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 11
  • Cred: 1
  • just living the dream
  • Location: Joburg ,Gauteng
Re: Tanzania - Mwangaza
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 09:02:58 AM »
Hi Prego
 
We had an amazing time . WE probably went a bit early in the season but we caught pleanty GT from 25-35 kg and wahoos of about 20-25kg and a saily on stickbait . Mwangaza itself is awesome and the staff is brilliant . Great food  great skipper .Cost wise for the ten daytrip incl booze and connecting flight form Dar to Kilwa we paid about R 19000 each included was a house boat that we moored of the songa songa islands and stayed on for 2 nights. I'll post some pics as soon as I get a chance .  Will definately go back
my biggest fear is that when I die , my wife will sell my tackle for what I said I paid for it !

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Tanzania - Mwangaza
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 09:16:34 AM »
Sounds amazing and at that price for 10 days all in, a bargain.

We await your  :clfoto:

 :shre:

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Tanzania - Mwangaza
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 11:31:39 AM »
Hi Prego
 
We had an amazing time . WE probably went a bit early in the season but we caught pleanty GT from 25-35 kg and wahoos of about 20-25kg and a saily on stickbait . Mwangaza itself is awesome and the staff is brilliant . Great food  great skipper .Cost wise for the ten daytrip incl booze and connecting flight form Dar to Kilwa we paid about R 19000 each included was a house boat that we moored of the songa songa islands and stayed on for 2 nights. I'll post some pics as soon as I get a chance .  Will definately go back

Look forward to the report!! Did James Taylor skip for you or did Mel...? Just wondering if Capt James is becoming an old fart before his time...?

Offline Skipjack

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 11
  • Cred: 1
  • just living the dream
  • Location: Joburg ,Gauteng
Re: Tanzania - Mwangaza
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 02:47:36 PM »
hi Reefs
 
We hooked up with James in Dar for a couple toots . Malcolm was our skipper and he was very good . I'll try and post some pics tomorow
We'll definately go back !
my biggest fear is that when I die , my wife will sell my tackle for what I said I paid for it !

Offline Tommo

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1188
  • Cred: 220
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pennington
Re: Tanzania - Mwangaza
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 02:50:32 PM »
Hey Sam, glad you had a good time! I look forward to seeing the pics. Awesome spot!

Pelagic Gear SA

  • Guest
Re: Tanzania - Mwangaza
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 07:15:18 PM »
How are those photo's coming on?
Need some fishing pics to perv at please!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal