Author Topic: WalkersKiller Invades The Salt!!!!  (Read 13280 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
WalkersKiller Invades The Salt!!!!
« on: July 12, 2011, 01:32:32 PM »
Day 1
So I drove my parents down to Kenton on sea in the Eastern Cape and was lucky enough to be able to spend a few days fishing there. We arrived at about 6.30pm and we unpacked and then I was off to the Sandbar floating restaurant with my light stick and lures to target some Kob and Shad. I threw about 5 lures and a halco twisty spoon which I got a nice knock, but no hook up and then a great chase right to the edge of the lit up jetty area. It looked like a tiny Kob but it didn’t commit. AD97 then met up with me with his bucket of sand prawn, thank goodness! While I had a few more throws with a sebile topwater lure AD rigged up and first cast… VAS!!!! He was also using light tackle and he had a nice tussle with a beautiful Spotted Grunter. His first in the area after trying for many years. Now I was keen to get one so I put my lures away and put on a sand prawn onto a Diachii 1/0… I casted into the light and then… Bump, bump, VAS!!!! Was an awesome feeling, thinking it was probably a Small Spottie I tightened up my drag and as I did that I just heard the most awesome noise in the world zzzzzzzzzzzzzz, after about 5 minutes of tough fighting AD97 landed my PB White Steenbras for me, wow was I happy, my previous PB was 15 centimeters and after I weighed and took some photos this Steenie went on to fight another day, it weighed 1.2 kilograms and I caught it on a shimano Nexave 6 foot, Penn powerspin 2000 and 3kg line, what a feeling, I finally now know why they call them Steamers! After the Steenie was released AD hooked into another fish, he foul hooked a Cape Stumpnose and it was safely released. It was my turn again and I reeled in a White Seacatfish of about 25 centimeters, actually was quite fun fighting it on the light tackle but getting the hook out wasn’t! Fish released and then AD was into a nice fish, it pulled and then he got it to the surface, it looked like a Spottie but unfortunately the hook pulled. I got one decent Cape Stumpy and then we parted ways, what a great night of fishing and after the 12 hour drive I wasn’t even tired just pumped full of adrenaline and thinking about how awesome that White Steenbras was!

Offline Homie

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: WalkersKiller Invades The Salt!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 01:34:53 PM »
Been waiting for this !!!

 :cgrts:

Great stuff !

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: WalkersKiller Invades The Salt!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 01:36:32 PM »
More from that night  :-)

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: WalkersKiller Invades The Salt!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 01:37:11 PM »
Gareth "Catchomatic" Walkerskiller!!! Well done!!  :happ:

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: WalkersKiller Invades The Salt!!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 01:40:35 PM »
Day 2
After pumping some sand prawn at Bokness lagoon for a night session, I sorted out all my tackle and headed off to my favourite fishing spot in the World, Bats Cave… Most of my PB edible fish have come from this spot and I rigged up my light stick (Same setup as the previous day, Shimano Nexave 6 foot, Penn Powerspin 2000 and some 3kg line) and tied a float trace with 7kg Maxima leader, I wanted to get a Bronze bream! The fishing started off slow with a few peckers trying to rip the octopus off my hook.  There wasn’t much action so I decided to try a smaller hook and first cast I got a big take and was taken right into the reef and cut off, I thought this was a fluke but I put on a hook one size bigger and tried again, same thing happened, burnt off… So I repeated once and this time I didn’t give the fish any line at all and I ended up landing my PB Blacktail, 27.5 centimeters, what an awesome fight especially on my light setup, just another reason why I love to fish light! I got another 3 blacktail, 1 very small and 2 others of 25 and 26 centimeters respectively, also both bigger than what was my PB before the day had started, 23 cms. Then I went back to the sandbar floating restaurant where I was keen to get a grunter, I met some of the locals there and we had a few beers and fished. My first 2 casts yielded 2 Cape Stumpnose and then it was quite until the tide turned and started to push… Out of nowhere I just felt this huge suck on my sand prawn… After setting the hook the fish used the current as much as it could but to no avail and my 3kg line and 6 foot rod held up once more to produce my PB Spotted Grunter: 40cm! Wow I was so happy, after that I got another Stumpy and moved on to the kariega slipway with the guys I had met. First cast this time with pink prawn, I was VAS!!! It felt like a good fish and when I landed it I saw that it was a Sand Steenbras well over 30cms, also another PB for me, wow this trip was breaking all my records and I was chuffed. 1 Blacktail and Cape Stumpnose later we called it a night and I eventually got into bed at 3am, what a days fishing!

Offline Kumz

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: WalkersKiller Invades The Salt!!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 01:41:11 PM »
 :cgrts: .....  :shre: ... Well Done ...  (clap)

Offline Willie

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2033
  • Cred: 237
  • Gender: Male
  • Ultimate Novice
  • Location: Nelspruit Mpumalanga
Re: WalkersKiller Invades The Salt!!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 01:42:27 PM »
 :cgrts: WK nice report as well
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at office

J-Rock

  • Guest
Re: WalkersKiller Invades The Salt!!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 01:43:01 PM »
I'm glad you had a good trip. Nothing beats being out there :happ:

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: WalkersKiller Invades The Salt!!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 01:45:14 PM »
My PB Spotted Grunter, as luck would have it there was water on the camera lens  swr safely released though  :-)

J-Rock

  • Guest
Re: WalkersKiller Invades The Salt!!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 01:45:30 PM »
I'm glad you had a good trip. Nothing beats being out there :happ:

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: WalkersKiller Invades The Salt!!!!
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
Sand Steenbras, PB, they dont grow much bigger than this so I was chuffed  :-)

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: WalkersKiller Invades The Salt!!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 01:51:20 PM »
(clap) WK!

Welcome back!
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: WalkersKiller Invades The Salt!!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 01:55:02 PM »
Day 3
I started the day out walking the main beach with my Elbe 10 foot, Penn 3000 reel and 1 ounce chisel nose plug. I casted and casted but unfortunately had no chases and saw no signs of anything. As I was leaving one of the charter boats that go off Kenton came in and I waited to see what they caught. Four nice Kob were taken off the boat as well as a big Red Roman and some other redfish, think they are Santer? After getting that motivation I headed off to Bats Cave armed with some sand prawn and Berkley Sand Worm. After baiting up 5 or 6 times I hooked into something strong and decent, I used the waves to get it up onto the rocks and then I was really happy… A 34.5 centimeter Stonebream! I really love these fish but this was my first Stonebream since 2006. Another few re baits and I caught a small Blacktail and then it went quiet and then I decided it was time for some dropshot. I rigged up a sand worm on a size 4 hook and fished it wacky style similar to the bass wacky rig and the fish were loving it. I caught my first Strepie on dropshot and then landed my second ever Blacktail on dropshot and then the fun started as I hooked into another monster  Blacktail. Before this my ruler managed to get donated to the sea so I could not measure him also a big fish. It went quiet once more and I called it a day, another awesome days fishing! Inbetween that I managed to get some Mullet in my throw net, a first for me!

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: WalkersKiller Invades The Salt!!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 02:01:46 PM »
Day 4
I was set to head back to Joburg later that day so I decided it was time to launch the Seahawk and hunt some kob and Grunter.  Unfortunately the tides were wrong and because I have not yet bought a motor for the inflatable I didn’t want to risk paddling against the tide in the Kariega as the currents are really strong. So instead I did a bit of dropshot and threw some lures, lots of bull mullet around but no predatory fish. But all in all it was a great few days with 8 species and 20 fish in total… Going back next weekend to drive my parents back so hopefully I can get a few more amazing fish!  All the fish I managed to land, hook and get burnt off by was on the same terminal tackle: Shimano Nexave 6 foot, Penn Powerspin 2000, loaded with 3kg Pioneer mono, I got some weird looks on the rocks but that’s the way I fish and it is brilliant when you get a decent fish!
Cape Stumpnose 5
White Steenbras 1 (My PB)
White Seacatfish 2
Blacktail 8 (Including my PB)
Spotted Grunter 1 (My PB)
Sand Steenbras 1 (My PB)
Stonebream 1
Strepie 1
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 02:02:07 PM by WalkersKiller »

Offline Willie

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2033
  • Cred: 237
  • Gender: Male
  • Ultimate Novice
  • Location: Nelspruit Mpumalanga
Re: WalkersKiller Invades The Salt!!!!
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 02:05:08 PM »
Wow WK a 34.5cm Stonebream is a nice one specially on that light outfit. Any Blacktail bigger than 26cm is fun to catch the way you do it  (clap)
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at office

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: WalkersKiller Invades The Salt!!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 02:05:32 PM »
Been waiting for this !!!

 :cgrts:

Great stuff !
Thanks Homes  :-)

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: WalkersKiller Invades The Salt!!!!
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 02:06:35 PM »
Gareth "Catchomatic" Walkerskiller!!! Well done!!  :happ:
:hehe: Shot reefz!

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: WalkersKiller Invades The Salt!!!!
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 02:07:16 PM »
:cgrts: .....  :shre: ... Well Done ...  (clap)
Thanks Kumzie!

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: WalkersKiller Invades The Salt!!!!
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 02:07:59 PM »
I'm glad you had a good trip. Nothing beats being out there :happ:
Thanks J, and thats so true, was missing the saltwater like crazy!

J-Rock

  • Guest
Re: WalkersKiller Invades The Salt!!!!
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 02:08:28 PM »
 :cgrts: WK, you had a good trip... Some really nice catches... (clap)

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal