Author Topic: What braid to use?  (Read 6239 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline huntley

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 89
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pietermaritzburg - KZN
What braid to use?
« on: June 25, 2011, 05:43:22 PM »
Hi there.
I have just bought a Loomis Platinum Dropshot rod SP8H-2.4m and a Shimano Stradic 4000 grinder to use for spinning in estuaries, in the surf and on a fishingski. I know I'm trying to cover a lot of bases with one outfit but hopefully it'll work. I may need to get another heavier rig for the ski in time. Will be targeting mostly snoek and garrick off the ski and shad, garrick, kingfish and kob in the surf.
I have spent a lot of time on the internet trying to find out what woud be the best  braid to use and what breaking strain/thickness would be best suited to my needs. I'm hoping that there is someone out there who can give me some suggestions.
If anyone has used the Loomis rod, what weight lures and plugs did they find  best suited the rod?
Regards
Roy

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: What braid to use?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 06:02:34 PM »
Huntley... choosing braid is like choosing reels... very much a personal preference... but if you want to do it right first up... get yourself some Berkley Fireline, probably 20lb is good enough to cover all/most of your applications... it's always been the benchmark for Superlines, and although there are a lot of new contenders out there... it remains the longest lasting... I have had some on my reel now for 5 years and it's still going strong...! Fireline is pricey, but in the long run, I believe it's worth the investment...

Offline huntley

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 89
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pietermaritzburg - KZN
Re: What braid to use?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 07:34:21 PM »
Thanks Reefman.
Really appreciate your advice.
When I started fishing there was no such thing as braid or drop shop so this is all new to me.
 

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: What braid to use?
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 07:53:50 PM »
Fireline is expensive but definitely sets the bar. You could also try the cheaper braids if price is an issue

Offline steve m

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 241
  • Cred: 25
  • Location: cape town
Re: What braid to use?
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 10:32:40 PM »
20lb fireline is thick hey! the 30lb is 0.38 if im not mistaken so the 20lb will be high 0.2odd or low 0.30 thats abit thick i think?

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: What braid to use?
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 09:28:33 AM »
20lb fireline is thick hey! the 30lb is 0.38 if im not mistaken so the 20lb will be high 0.2odd or low 0.30 thats abit thick i think?

For targetting snoek off the ski...?

Offline sea sick

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: What braid to use?
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 12:23:35 PM »
i have some 14lb fireline on a sedona 5000 that i'll be testing.
i have to agree, that the 30 lb is way thicker then the 14lb.

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: What braid to use?
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 12:52:40 PM »
Well it is double the breaking strain??? I'd expect it to be much thicker

Offline steve m

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 241
  • Cred: 25
  • Location: cape town
Re: What braid to use?
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 05:02:27 PM »
For targetting snoek off the ski...?

no for a 4000 size shimano...

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: What braid to use?
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 05:47:00 PM »
It's what I use on one of the spools on my Exceler 4000...  :dunno:
Maybe I'm just doff Steve...!  :rotfl
 

Offline kraken

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 21
  • Cred: 1
  • Location: Cape Town, Western cape
Re: What braid to use?
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 03:26:01 PM »
Personally, I use 10lb Fireline on a Saragossa 4000 matched with a Shimano Vengeance 8ft 3 onz rod. I use this to cast from the side for leeries and elf, and also use it to catch yellowtail from the boat.
The 10lb line is effing strong and probably would test a lot higher. I've caught plenty of yellowtail on it as well as snoek(the cape variety), katonkel and skipjack.
If it can handle yellowtail, it'll easily handle those Natal snoek and garrick!
Its alot more fun on the light stuff as well!

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: What braid to use?
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 03:56:01 PM »
I agree that for the more experienced angler, lighter tackle is much more fun... however, I believe what we need to guard against is advising everyone to go as light as possible. It takes a fair amount (a lot!) of skill to land a good fish on light and ultra light tackle, without something breaking in between - so rather than have lots of big fish trailing terminal tackle and 100m of braid behind them, wouldn't it be better to make sure a fish is landed/boated until that particular angler is experienced and brave enough to have a go confidently with lighter gear?

Offline kraken

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 21
  • Cred: 1
  • Location: Cape Town, Western cape
Re: What braid to use?
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 04:11:31 PM »
Good point! And, if truth be told, I also keep the 50lb braid spinning rig handy as well! lol!
But back to that 10lb; it amazes me just how much pressure one can put on it, and I think it would be an awesome point from which to start ones first forays into light tackle fishing.

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: What braid to use?
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 04:29:08 PM »
100%

Offline steve m

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 241
  • Cred: 25
  • Location: cape town
Re: What braid to use?
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 04:35:41 PM »
It's what I use on one of the spools on my Exceler 4000...  :dunno:
Maybe I'm just doff Steve...!  :rotfl

im not saying it wont work i just think that 20lb fireline is abit thick i use fireline but i have the 6lb and 10lb and they are both strong i hooked a decent flatfish on the 6lb when i was fishing for chokka off of a boat and the fight lasted 45min it was right under the boat and went towards the anchor rope and instead of loosing up the drag and working around the anchor rope i tightend up and opend the hooks on the chokka jig... strong stuff!
but if 20lb works and you happy with it then why not...

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: What braid to use?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 05:31:36 PM »
I used 20lb for Offshore, targetting Kingies and YFT on dropshot in Kilwa. This is similar to what Huntley asked...
From the shore, I use 6lb and 12lb Berkley Tracer braid, but he needed something to cover all aspects, bearing in mind he has never fished braid before.


 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal