Author Topic: My First Attempts To Tie Flies  (Read 7981 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
My First Attempts To Tie Flies
« on: June 20, 2011, 11:12:44 AM »
Hi  :ult: so I was fly fishing this weekend with Mrs Simpson, Lunker and his wife and Lunker kindly took a night to explain and show me the basics of how to tie flies. I have never been good with my hands so it was not very easy but I found it very enjoyable and interesting... I had a lot of fun tying these two "pavement specials"  :hehe: ...

I always wanted to see if a white and redhead fly would work in the freshwater or maybe salt, I will give it a go next time I am close to the ocean... The redhead fly has a lovely action and I tied it with white marabou, white fritz, red cotton for the base and then a bead and red material for the head...

The second fly I just tried to make as flashy, sparkly and shiny as possible, have no idea what sort of insect that would resemble though  :cnfzd

Offline shagnrelease

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 11:46:39 AM »
Nothing wrong with that effort, practice makes perfect!


what was the fishing like?

Offline Willie

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2033
  • Cred: 237
  • Gender: Male
  • Ultimate Novice
  • Location: Nelspruit Mpumalanga
Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 11:51:56 AM »
Looks great (clap) the smokes on the table was that for stress? :hehe:
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at office

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 11:52:50 AM »
Thanks Greg, will need a lot more practice  :hehe:

The fishing was awesome we didnt get a fish under 1kg  :-)

Working on the report as we speak, have been the whole morning but I have got so much work at the moment   :-(

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 11:54:46 AM »
Looks great (clap) the smokes on the table was that for stress? :hehe:
Thanks Willie  :hehe: yeah its a very stressful thing to do, also the lit cigarette gave me more light  w;k :crzy

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 12:20:12 PM »
Nice going Gareth!  :win:  Welcome to a new world of obsession!! That second fly could double as a generic nymph type no problemo!

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 12:49:47 PM »
Well done WK!   (clap)
 
As Rory said it's a whole new obsession! Looking forward to what comes next...
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 01:23:54 PM »
Nice going Gareth!  :win:  Welcome to a new world of obsession!! That second fly could double as a generic nymph type no problemo!
:tkx: Rory, I must admit I am already quite obsessed with the idea it is a great hobby, just need some practice... I will try fish that as a nymph next time I target  :trout: and see what happens  :-)

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 01:31:55 PM »
Well done WK!   (clap)
 
As Rory said it's a whole new obsession! Looking forward to what comes next...
Thanks Marcos  :hehe: Im keen to try get some more flies under my belt asap  :-)

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 08:16:22 PM »
nicely done WK, great for first ties.
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 08:19:14 PM »
nicely done WK, great for first ties.
:tkx: I appreciate it, want to try tie some proper patterns though  :-)

J-Rock

  • Guest
Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 12:54:54 AM »
 (clap) (clap) (clap)

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 07:45:27 AM »
:tkx: Rory, I must admit I am already quite obsessed with the idea it is a great hobby, just need some practice... I will try fish that as a nymph next time I target  :trout: and see what happens  :-)

I'll keep you in the loop for when we have another fly tying afternoon/braai/dops, you welcome to join us! w;k

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 08:21:31 AM »

I'll keep you in the loop for when we have another fly tying afternoon/braai/dops, you welcome to join us! w;k
Sounds good Rory, Im keen  :-)

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 03:40:06 PM »

I'll keep you in the loop for when we have another fly tying afternoon/braai/dops, you welcome to join us! w;k

WK, just don't expect to tie many flies though. w;k
The record I think is one fly a session.
The essence seems to be: :frid :frid
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 03:56:29 PM »
 :hehe: Herman thats my kind of fly tying session  :frid

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 07:22:41 PM »

WK, just don't expect to tie many flies though. w;k
The record I think is one fly a session.
The essence seems to be: :frid :frid

incorrect Herman. I believe that the record stands at 2 flies between 6 of us in a 5 hour session w;k
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2011, 07:52:58 AM »
What are you guys like? The record is 6 flies in a session! That's good going!  :craz:

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: My First Attempts To Tie Flies
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 08:26:18 AM »
 :lolo:

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal