Author Topic: Winter spooning  (Read 5547 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

okkiebutler

  • Guest
Winter spooning
« on: June 06, 2011, 01:16:35 PM »
 :gt: Hi Guys
I am new to spoon fishing. I live on the beach at Xai Xai and I am trying my luck every afternoon. The problem is that I don't have much success at the moment.  Between February and April I have landed a few Kingies up to 2kg, which was fun. I am wondering if the colder winter conditions is to blame, or should I do something different. I use silver spoons which give me some distance. The water in front of me is shallow (3m) with sand banks at the back. Any advice?

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Winter spooning
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 01:25:21 PM »
First of all  :welc: its great to have you here!

This is just my opinion...

In winter lure fishing is often better than in summer and i presume this applies to spoon fishing as well. When fishing with spoons it is important to fish them as close to the bottom as possible in winter with a varied retrieve. If the fish are in the area they should smash them! You should consider using spoons of different cast weights and lengths, spoons such as the v back s bend and bullet spoons are perfect and I have had a lot of success on the Halco Twisty spoon 15 gram in cold water... You will often find that you need to brighten up your spoon with a reflecter sticker or shine it up if it isnt working as the flash as it moves through the water attracts the fish...  Hope that helps...

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Winter spooning
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 01:31:09 PM »
I love spooning in winter but I catch a flu often because of it  :crzy :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

 sry OB I just could not resist  :lolo:

I am sure some of the experienced guys will give you some advice.

 :welc:

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Winter spooning
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 03:10:49 PM »
Hi okkiebutler,

Where exactly are you fishing in Xai-Xai? If it is into the lagoon (in front of the hotel, etc) then it is no wonder you're not catching fish... that area has been heavily netted for years... I'm surprised you ever caught a kingie there... I would try casting to the open sea (during the low tide) or right in front of the campsite (exit to the open sea)... Chongoene or Praia Velha are also popular sites and I've had some success there...

 :tite
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

okkiebutler

  • Guest
Re: Winter spooning
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 11:07:47 AM »
Hi :fshn:
No, I wouldn't waste my time in the lagoon. I stay at Chongoene beach on the open sea - next to Lance and Lisa and before "Beach Resort".  The only problem is that the sea might be a bit shallow around her because of sand banks about 100m from shore. We catch Rockcod here in summer on bait, but in general the water doesn't seem to be very productive. Even the locals never catch bigger fish here. They walk past us towards Chongoene. That's why I am now trying with a heavy spoon in order to gain distance to see if I can reach fish in the deeper waters, although I'd never be able to get close to the sand banks.
I still argue that there should be fish here. The water gets 3m and deeper with high tide. The only question is whether there is enough food around for fish to enter the area. There are thousands of crabs around, but when snorkling only a few small fish can be seen around the rocks. Maybe it is just a bad spot....

benniejordaan

  • Guest
Re: Winter spooning
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 03:11:22 PM »
I love spooning in winter, especially on those cold winter nights. My wife likes it in summer too but then it gets too hot for me! We used to spoon on the Durban main beach when we were younger, but the cops always chased us away!

Offline Prego

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2880
  • Cred: 167
  • Gender: Male
  • Because I said so
  • Location: Glenvista, Johannesburg
Re: Winter spooning
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 03:19:36 PM »
I love spooning in winter, especially on those cold winter nights. My wife likes it in summer too but then it gets too hot for me! We used to spoon on the Durban main beach when we were younger, but the cops always chased us away!


 :hehe: :hehe: you :craz: :nuts: :hehe: :hehe:

Offline Andre Laas

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 246
  • Cred: 24
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Westville, Durban
Re: Winter spooning
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 08:31:07 AM »
I love spooning in winter, especially on those cold winter nights. My wife likes it in summer too but then it gets too hot for me! We used to spoon on the Durban main beach when we were younger, but the cops always chased us away!
...Grapgat!
 
Okkie, I can't really give you much advice as I have mostly managed to blank spectacularly on my visits to Xai-Xai. The only place in that area where I have had success is at the blow-hole to the south of Praia do Xai-Xai. Landed some small kingies (< 1kg) and some nice garfish there. I can usually only take my 6ft travel rod, so have not tried bait fishing there, but the water in front of the blow-hole looks extremely promising, and I have heard of some huge kingies and other gamefish that got speared there. Have you ever tried that area?

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Winter spooning
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 08:34:45 AM »
@Critter: That area is called Praia Velha... I've lost a few big fish there and managed to get some good catches... it's really popular and sometimes it produces monsters (incl. rockcods)...
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Andre Laas

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 246
  • Cred: 24
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Westville, Durban
Re: Winter spooning
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 08:38:40 AM »
That is probably one of the most beatifull places I know of in that area, and I always take a walk up there when I am in Xai-Xai...... I am going up that way for our last survey in July, and I must make a serious plan to fish that spot properly! Would love to soak a livey there!

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Winter spooning
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 08:41:53 AM »
You could probably get a livie in the protected lagoon with a sabiki and gooi it to the open sea... then hold on for dear life... I believe some serious GTs patrol the area (and lot's of turtles as well!!!!)
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Andre Laas

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 246
  • Cred: 24
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Westville, Durban
Re: Winter spooning
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 09:04:59 AM »
I love watching the turles there... they are at times quite inquisitive.

okkiebutler

  • Guest
Re: Winter spooning
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 10:39:15 AM »
 :fshn: Thanks for all the advice. Yes, I've tried the Blowhole a couple of times but maybe not  seriously enough. By the way, when you go there please make sure that your car is guarded. Of course you need a 4x4 to get there. I've only caught a small Rockcod there. If anybody needs advice on the area when on holiday you are welcome to speak to me. In future I will also have accommodation available.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal