Author Topic: Best leader for plugging ???  (Read 6267 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Fish-Hunter

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 28
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban Amanzimtoti
Best leader for plugging ???
« on: May 30, 2011, 05:59:07 PM »
Can anyone advise me what leader works best and does it have to be "Leader Line".

I am using the Kingfisher leader of 55lb but since I am casting 2oz plugs my the knot I use to join the leader to my braid is coming loose. This has cost me two plugs already.

I think my leader is too thick for the knot I use,its 0,7mm and my braid is 0,14mm(33lb) Gator braid. The initial loop I make with the leader,because its so thick does not clinch closed properly so the braid does not pull up on itself.

I need to find a thinner 50lb leader,I think this may solve my problem.

Plz help guys Thanx

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Best leader for plugging ???
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 06:21:07 PM »
What knot are you using?
Give us more details as to rod, reel, leader length and knot used?

Offline Tommo

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1188
  • Cred: 220
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pennington
Re: Best leader for plugging ???
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 06:36:11 PM »
Hi FH. I assume you are casting plugs for Garrick if you are throwing a 2oz plug in KZN waters? If so, you don't need a long leader, as they do not intentionally run for structure. I would suggest you use about 1m of 50lb to 60lb leader, joined to the braid with a back to back uni knot system. Use a 3 turn fig eight knot on the leader and a seven turn uni knot on the braid and slide the two together. If this knot is correctly tied it should never fail on you.
Using the shorter leader will mean that the knot does not have to pass through the eyes of your rod, which will make casting better, and save on deterioration of the knot itself.   

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Best leader for plugging ???
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 06:43:58 PM »
100% Tommo.
 
The other option is to make a short 400-500mm twisted leader with 25lb Flouro and then make a bimini in the braid and join to the twisted leader with a modified cats pawl

Offline Fish-Hunter

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 28
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban Amanzimtoti
Re: Best leader for plugging ???
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 06:45:53 PM »
Hi Reefman

I'm using a Penn Affinity 4000 on a Dropzone 9ft6 2oz. My leader is 750mm long and the knots name I don't know.
I take the the leader and make a loop,put the braid trough the eye of the loop and wrap it 6 times down the loop. It wraps around both legs of the loop and the 6 times back up ova itself and then back through the eye of the loop in the opposite direction to what You started. I hope you know this knot.

Thanx

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Best leader for plugging ???
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 06:55:24 PM »
Hi Reefman

I'm using a Penn Affinity 4000 on a Dropzone 9ft6 2oz. My leader is 750mm long and the knots name I don't know.
I take the the leader and make a loop,put the braid trough the eye of the loop and wrap it 6 times down the loop. It wraps around both legs of the loop and the 6 times back up ova itself and then back through the eye of the loop in the opposite direction to what You started. I hope you know this knot.

Thanx

Thats an albright knot. I do not like this knot for that application it will pop. The tackle is good, leader is an odd length either shorter like 400mm or longer like 3m

Offline Fish-Hunter

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 28
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban Amanzimtoti
Re: Best leader for plugging ???
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 06:58:16 PM »
Hey Tommo

Thanx for that advice,I use a 750mm leader so my knot is not so close to my tip eye. Its about 300mm away,I am afraid to take it too close as I thought it might snap my braid or knot.

Thanx

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Best leader for plugging ???
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 06:58:54 PM »
FH, come see me at my boat some time and I will give you a quick TUT on the knots for the leader connection.

Offline Fish-Hunter

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 28
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban Amanzimtoti
Re: Best leader for plugging ???
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 07:03:49 PM »
Hey FA

Are you in the harbour most days?

Offline shamwari

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 153
  • Cred: 18
  • Location: Zimbabwe
Re: Best leader for plugging ???
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 07:07:47 PM »
Fish h - sounds like a sort of albright with the error of taking the tag end back in the opposite direction that you went in - should be same way.
 
I was actually going to suggest an albright - wrap 10 times going up the two legs of leader then the tag end straight back through the loop coming out the same way as went in - must be in the knots section. The secret for me is to then pull it up REALLY tight so that the braid bites before it collects at the bottom of the loop. It then becomes a clinch type knot ( same family as PR, GT etc) and doesnt cut the end loop in the leader if that makes sense.  You will need gloves and pull both main  and tag end of the braid together as hard as you can - the braid will bite and turn translucent. Then two half hitches and a uni to finish off with braid tag end, a touch of glue and the tag of the leader cut as close as you can to the knot. Sorry - just another option - and a very good one  IMHO.

Offline Tommo

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1188
  • Cred: 220
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pennington
Re: Best leader for plugging ???
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 07:08:24 PM »
PH, it sounds to me like you are using an Albright knot. There are ways of tying an Albright knot that are effective with joining braid to nylon, but the way you are doing it you are going to lose plugs and fish.
If you are more comfortable tying an Albright knot then, try the folowing:
 
loop the leader and double the braid (with no knot in the braid). Go through the one side of the loop(leader line) and do 3 turns down towards the lure side with the doubled braid. Then 10 turns back up and through the opposite side of the loop that you came through when you started the knot. Pull the tag end, not too tight, and then tighten the knot by pulling on the main line. Trim off the three tag ends of braid and one tag end of leader. Test your knot by pulling hard on it. This does work well, and I have some good mates who only use this knot for their leader set up.

Offline Capt. Hook

  • Official ball thrower for my dog
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3140
  • Cred: 338
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durbs
Re: Best leader for plugging ???
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 07:19:03 PM »
Hey FA

Are you in the harbour most days?

Been quiet of late, give me a call. I will PM u my No.

Offline Fish-Hunter

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 28
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban Amanzimtoti
Re: Best leader for plugging ???
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 07:46:05 PM »
Thanx FA

Offline Fish-Hunter

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 28
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban Amanzimtoti
Re: Best leader for plugging ???
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 08:10:26 PM »
Thanx Tommo

I gave it a try but can't get the braid to pull up neatly on its self.

More practice and I'm sure I will get it right

Offline Tommo

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1188
  • Cred: 220
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pennington
Re: Best leader for plugging ???
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 08:19:30 PM »
That's cool PH, the main thing about tying knots is practise. It is worth sitting with a couple of rolls of line in front of the TV or wherever you chill at the end of the day. Keep tying the knot you want to learn and you will get very good at it. Eventually you won't need to think anymore and your hands will simply tie the knot using muscle memory. Try tie that same knot ten times and I reckon you will have it by the time you are finished. It is definitely worth the practise, as your tackle is only as good as your knots at the end of the day... Best of luck to you with it all!

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Best leader for plugging ???
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 08:53:53 PM »
fISH h....Just as a matter of interest, have you seen this section of the forum? .... http://www.ultimateangling.co.za/index.php/board,18.0.html

Offline Fish-Hunter

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 28
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban Amanzimtoti
Re: Best leader for plugging ???
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 08:05:37 PM »
Hey All

I've tried all those knots now and another two plugs down.

I'm now onto a Bimini,I watched my Blackfin dvd's to get it right.

Maybe I should go back to 1 and half ounce plugs.I'll have to take a second bond on the house to afford all the plugs I'm going through.

Offline Half-Pint

  • CHAMPION ANGLER 2014
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3712
  • Cred: 223
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Boksburg
Re: Best leader for plugging ???
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 08:15:28 PM »
Try a bimini in your braid or spider hitch if you like and then a yucatan knot. I use this with 20lb braid .60 leader line and I throw up to 4oz spoons and the leader goes through the eyes. If you follow Reefs tuts and perfect any of thos knots they will NEVER works loose

Offline Fish-Hunter

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 263
  • Cred: 28
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban Amanzimtoti
Re: Best leader for plugging ???
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 05:54:17 PM »
I'm glad to report the Bimini is working well. What I'm also doing is increasing the length of my drop to my plug to reduce the pressure on the leader knot.

So Thanx to all for the advice, I was really at my witts end.

Tight Lines

Offline Wollychop

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 6
  • Cred: 0
  • Location: Dubai, UAE
Re: Best leader for plugging ???
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 07:34:49 PM »
Hi. There is another knot that I find extremely strong and quick to tie. It is similar to the Slim Beauty Knot but only a one turn granny/overhand knot is required in the leader. The mainline need not be doubled. Pass the braid through the granny knot and wind five or six wide turns up the leader and then go back down with narrow turns. Pass the leader through the granny knot so that it exits on the same side as it came in. pull the mainline and tag end till moderately tight and then tighten the granny knot. pull the braid knot tight against the granny knot, trim and you're done. Keep leaders short enough so that the knot doesn't have to pass through the guides during the cast - the guides tear up or loosen a knot.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal