Author Topic: Location X report  (Read 12436 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Location X report
« on: March 21, 2011, 08:44:50 PM »
Guys,

I just got back from a very interesting weekend at location X...

Here is some photos for now.

Will do a full report later.

True Wild Trout



Sun rise at location X



On the water - My Heaven



Last light - Last Cast




Some underwater action













Top water







Results...






Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Location X report
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 09:16:22 PM »
Some awesome pics Gerhard... looks like you found the spot!

Offline jaenswart

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Location X report
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 10:06:28 PM »
Location x ??? seriously :-)

Offline fedu

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 530
  • Cred: 70
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Luanda, Angola
Re: Location X report
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 10:16:47 PM »
It's geting better, seems you had ball.

Pics also improving, well done  (clap)

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Location X report
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 07:50:28 AM »
Location x ??? seriously :-)

Yea,

Seriously...

Dont ask where it is as all I will say its private water in the Steenkamps mountains in the Dullstroom area ...  w;k

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Location X report
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 07:53:26 AM »
It's geting better, seems you had ball.

Pics also improving, well done  (clap)

Fedu,

You have no idea how much fun it is to fight these trout with one hand and use the other to try and get some photos at the same time...  :hehe:

I had to put in my time on the water to land 4 trout over the weekend.

But time well spend...

Offline jaenswart

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Location X report
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 07:54:26 AM »
Yea,

Seriously...

Dont ask where it is as all I will say its private water in the Steenkamps mountains in the Dullstroom area ...  w;k

I won't stop pestering you until you take me with. Seriously :-)

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Location X report
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 07:59:38 AM »
I won't stop pestering you until you take me with. Seriously :-)

It not that I dont want to take a few guys with...

But I have known the land owner for the last 30 years.

He has allowed people to fish this dam in the past and people has miss used this privilege. Except for his family my dad and I are the only one's allowed to fish up there.

So it will stay Location X ....  w;k


Offline jaenswart

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Location X report
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 08:01:38 AM »
It not that I dont want to take a few guys with...

But I have known the land owner for the last 30 years.

He has allowed people to fish this dam in the past and people has miss used this privilege. Except for his family my dad and I are the only one's allowed to fish up there.

So it will stay Location X ....  w;k



net 'n grappie :-) enjoy the venue :-)

BTW..I'm looking for a Location Y in that area for this weekend. wanna go fish but also take the wife and baby with. Any ideas (Sorry for the hijack)

Offline Lichia amia

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Location X report
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 08:03:26 AM »
Brilliant Pics and great catches you definitely made the most of the long weekend .  :happ:

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Location X report
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 08:08:20 AM »
net 'n grappie :-) enjoy the venue :-)

BTW..I'm looking for a Location Y in that area for this weekend. wanna go fish but also take the wife and baby with. Any ideas (Sorry for the hijack)

http://www.flyfishtrout.co.za/

or

http://www.elandskloof.co.za/index.html

or

http://www.leeuwkloof.co.za/
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 08:09:29 AM by Gerhard »

Offline Big Van

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 431
  • Cred: 33
  • Location: Middelburg Mpumalanga
Re: Location X report
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 08:12:20 AM »
Hi Gerhard
Great catches and nice pics. It is a lovely venue you fished at. Pics of the brown trout is very good.
Jaen- Come visit me this weekend at the farm I will keep a house open for you and family.
Tight Lines  guys (clap) (clap)

Offline jaenswart

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Location X report
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 08:14:10 AM »
Hi Gerhard
Great catches and nice pics. It is a lovely venue you fished at. Pics of the brown trout is very good.
Jaen- Come visit me this weekend at the farm I will keep a house open for you and family.
Tight Lines  guys (clap) (clap)

Wow baie dankie Stephan. Ek bel jou bietjie later vanmore, net gou in meeting.

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Location X report
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 08:37:54 AM »
Great pics Gerhard looks like an awesome spot!  :sml:

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Location X report
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 08:01:26 PM »
As promised here is the report....

I finally got out of the city at 16:00 last Friday hitting the N4 east.

Got to the farm just after 18:30.

Up early on Saturday after a few hours of sleep after working on the local jackal population.

It takes at least 30 minutes drive on the farm road in 1st and 2nd gear to get to the dam.

Stopping at the dam conditions looked great





Getting on the water I saw some fish working the reeds beds and this was my 1st plan to target the reed beds and grass beds



It did not take long before the mist rolled in and the easterly wind started blowing. From past experience I learned this makes for lock jaw and tough fishing but I still worked hard till 11:00 when the few hours sleep started catching up.

The plan was to get back to the dam at 16:00 for the late afternoon session till dark. Well that did not happen as the rain came in at around 15:45 and it bucket down for the rest of the afternoon and evening. (60mm of rain for Saturday)

Sunday morning I got to the dam at 07:15 with a north westerly blowing. But...

The dam level went up by at least by 1,5 meters

Visibility was down but still good enough at roughly 45 to 50 cm.

It rained at times while on the water



 

I finally got connected to this little young one



Whats interesting about this trout is proof that the trout spawn in the inlet of this dam. The farmer stocked this size trout in November 2009... ;)

Also had a interesting visitor going past ...



Morning session just gave me the young trout had hopes for the afternoon session.

Left the farm house at around 15:00 and could not get to the dam fast enough as flying ants were starting to fly and I hoped this might result in some hot top water action...

Unfortunately this did not happen. Around 30 min before last light I tied on a dark Walkers Killer on a No 8 hook. Thinking whats the chance of a trout picking up this fly in bad viz water and low light.

Well it started getting dark where I casted the sinking line by feel. I have always time for one more cast and while on the way to where I get the tube out of the water I cast into the deeper area of the dam and counted down to 20...

About the 3rd strip and I got hit, fast and furious action fighting the trout more by feel than anything else around the tube in the dark made for a lot of sports... :D

She weighed in at 3.75lbs and rough measurement of around 20 inches

Dark photos not to great but I think you guys will get the idea...





This got me fired up for the last session on Monday morning as I planned to finish up at around 09:00 before getting back to Pta and Jhb.

As I walked out of the door this was the view



Getting to the dam...



Getting on the water

My piece of heaven



At the inflow of the dam I saw trout working the shallows.

Stalked closer on the tube.

I tied an ND Dragon on before I got on the water as I was determined to catch my 1st trout on a fly I tied myself.

2 false cast and the dragon dropped softly right into the target area over the grass bed.

3rd strip and I got hit fish on for maybe 5 seconds and out pops the hook... man I was talking in some languages ... :mad: :p

A trout kept working the area but could not get it interested, I moved away to a different area working the reed and grass beds as I go. With no success I gave the area at the inlet time to settle down.

This time I tied on a Mrs Simpson (go to fly for me) stalked back to the same area at the inlet with no more fish visible 1st cast into the deeper part of the channel, 2nd cast right next to the reeds on the grass beds...

Fish on...









Got to love this 4wt TFO rod I bought from Gerrit

This trout was 2.5 lbs



I moved into another part of this inlet and again tied on the ND Dragon.

1st cast into the channel area I got hit by a trout.

I can not remember ever been hit so hard by a trout in the past...

As she hit me she came out of the water and as luck would have it as she went landed the fly came out.

Man I was livid as my 09:00 cut of time was getting close.

Worked another area close by for about 10 min and then stalked closer to the channel.

This time I cast right into the channel.

The ND Dragon really delivered and 3rd time lucky and this time she stayed on!!!







3.4 lbs


With that it was time to get out and start getting things sorted to hit the road back to Gauteng.

I had to work really hard on this trip for 4 fish. Each fish will be remembered for a long time.

I enjoyed every moment on the water and out in the mountains and will go back again in April...

Hope this gives you guys an idea why I love hunting these silver slabs ....

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Location X report
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 08:11:33 PM »
Superb report Gerhard those are some beautiful Rainbows!  (clap)

Offline fedu

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 530
  • Cred: 70
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Luanda, Angola
Re: Location X report
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 08:36:31 PM »
I love the dark photo, the contrast of the pitch dark background and the fish head detail is great :-)

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Location X report
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 08:43:27 PM »
I love the dark photo, the contrast of the pitch dark background and the fish head detail is great :-)

Thanks Fedu !!!

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Location X report
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 07:58:37 AM »
Super report Gerhard! That lake looks absolutely amazing, you're seriously fortunate to have access to water like that! (Insert "green with envy" smilie here!!) The condition of those fish is amazing, thanks for sharing with us! :ayb

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Location X report
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 08:18:58 AM »
Thanks Rory...

Thats why its got to stay location X

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal