Author Topic: Classic Fly rods  (Read 8003 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline shagnrelease

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Classic Fly rods
« on: February 18, 2011, 09:36:25 AM »
Seeing the branded fly rod thread I got thinking about where I cut my teeth on the angling front and was lucky enough to have been brought up in the scottish borders and my grandfather was a Fly fisher and salmon poacher of note and my great uncle the river warden for the prime salmon waters through Kelso on the river tweed and the teviot, so vast contradictions in terms of ethics!! But of the best in the world to learn your trade as a young flyfisher! I think I was about 6 or so on my first trip but the age is vague just the memory's of the trip are clear as a bell!

However I have been given some awesome classic fly fishing from solid brass fly reels dating back over a 100yrs to leader pouches made from leather with flies snelled onto horse hair tippets, all of which are very valuable to me and kept in a safe place.

But I thought I would share this rod with you, its a 3 piece Alex martin 9' rod with solid brass interlocking ferrules and was built by Alex martins fishing and gun company in 1908, this rod was given to my Great uncle by his uncle, and it was given to him by a Mr william younger from the Mcewan and Younger breweries fame and home of the infamous Mcewans Lager!!
So beer and fishing have gone Hand in hand for years!!

Just thought I would share this with you and would love to see some of your antique fishing tackle as well!!




Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Classic Fly rods
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
Very nice  (clap)

TUNAMAN

  • Guest
Re: Classic Fly rods
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 10:15:15 AM »
What an amazing collectors piece. It is great to possess a piece of history and a family heirloom.

I will see to it to take a pic of my oldmans Scarborough and post it. Have no idea how old it might be.

Offline E.T.

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 883
  • Cred: 87
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Classic Fly rods
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 10:24:48 AM »
Awesome. In a few months time I will show you a couple of Classic Reels.

Reels like ATH Remco and Hardy Perfect.... w;k

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Classic Fly rods
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 10:25:44 AM »
Thats a fantastic flyrod Shaggers, nice. I reckon it must be pretty heavy?

Offline super_daav

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 855
  • Cred: 74
  • Gender: Male
  • Lower Zambezi 2009
  • Location: Durban, KZN
Re: Classic Fly rods
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 11:14:44 AM »
Shag those are awesome pieces!! Pity you cannot have them framed and mounted...

PS What is your home address??  w;k
Kingfisher.co.za
Official Daiwa agent

Offline shagnrelease

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Classic Fly rods
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 11:22:35 AM »
Shag those are awesome pieces!! Pity you cannot have them framed and mounted...
I have yet to get them all put in a box frame but just have never got round to it.

Thats a fantastic flyrod Shaggers, nice. I reckon it must be pretty heavy?
It is heavy but not overly really, cant say I would like to cast it however ....wet spaggeti springs to mind.

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Classic Fly rods
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
It is heavy but not overly really, cant say I would like to cast it however ....wet spaggeti springs to mind.

Hmmm, it would be interesting to see how it would handle the modern lines!

Offline shagnrelease

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Classic Fly rods
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 11:44:26 AM »
Hmmm, it would be interesting to see how it would handle the modern lines!

NO :unhap :unhap

but I will bring it to the next social for you to have a looksie!

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Classic Fly rods
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 11:49:09 AM »
NO :unhap :unhap

but I will bring it to the next social for you to have a looksie!

Do you have one of those old school lines to match the rod? I don't want to cast it (not sure if I could stretch my 3rd party insurance that far) just curious?

Offline CLS

  • Born to fish forced to work.
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1700
  • Cred: 114
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban - KZN
Re: Classic Fly rods
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 11:50:52 AM »
Fantastic stuff Shag, in those days men were men and could handle the heavy rods, I am sure the rod could tell a few stories. :clwn
A bad days fishing is better than sitting at home moping.

Offline BigG

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 476
  • Cred: 38
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish on weekends to feed the kids...
  • Location: Greenstonehill, Gauteng
Re: Classic Fly rods
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 11:51:14 AM »
Collectors items, very nice shagman
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Classic Fly rods
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 03:05:37 PM »
What line did you use with that rod? Silk??

Offline shagnrelease

  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Classic Fly rods
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 04:26:20 PM »
What line did you use with that rod? Silk??

 swr dude I did not use any lines with this rod, how old do you think I AM!!!!!


but yes I think most then were silk lines.

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Classic Fly rods
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 04:49:05 PM »
 :lolo: sry

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Classic Fly rods
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 06:49:34 PM »
Shag, what a wonderfull rod. You are so very lucky to have something so special. :resp:

PLEEEEEEZZZZEEEE bring it to the Vaal trip. ( No begging icon ).

Just to get the feel of a rod like that would make my whole day. :happ:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal