Author Topic: Fly tying - Learning how its done  (Read 12097 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Fly tying - Learning how its done
« on: February 08, 2011, 06:39:41 AM »
I decided to take the plunge and started to tie my own flies...

Here is a few of my own versions





























Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly tying - Learning how its done
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 07:49:23 AM »
Very very nice Gerhard! (clap) I like that first buzzer, looks like a deadly fly. I reckon that wet fly in the 9th pic will clean up in stillwaters, and I'd be really suprised if you don't pick up some yellows with that fly in the 5th and 6th pic. Nice flies man!

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Fly tying - Learning how its done
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 07:54:58 AM »
Thanks,

Will have to get more flies done for yellows.

Looks like the water will be fishable soon....  :happ:

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly tying - Learning how its done
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 08:00:05 AM »
Now you talking! Lets hope the flows stay the way they are! :pray: :pray: :pray:

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Fly tying - Learning how its done
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 08:04:42 AM »
Now you talking! Lets hope the flows stay the way they are! :pray: :pray: :pray:

Yea,

Then I have to tagg along so you guys can teach me how to catch my 1st SM on fly...  :hnthnt:

Offline Poenskop

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 455
  • Cred: 35
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Port Elizabeth
Re: Fly tying - Learning how its done
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 08:08:04 AM »
Very nice Gerhard. Those last 6 flies will kill the yellows. I do love buggy looking flies.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 08:08:49 AM by Poenskop »

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Fly tying - Learning how its done
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 08:40:07 AM »
Very nice! Also like the look of the buzzer in the 1st pic!

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly tying - Learning how its done
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 09:42:36 AM »
Yea,

Then I have to tagg along so you guys can teach me how to catch my 1st SM on fly...  :hnthnt:

Sounds like we might have the making of "UA Yellowfish Vaal Trip 1" here..... :uarocks

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Fly tying - Learning how its done
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 09:46:22 AM »
Sounds like we might have the making of "UA Yellowfish Vaal Trip 1" here..... :uarocks

Keep me updated on the planning...  :happ:

Offline Rory

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1270
  • Cred: 175
  • Gender: Male
Re: Fly tying - Learning how its done
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 09:50:46 AM »
OK once we know for sure the flows are stable, we can put a plan of action together. (hap

Offline schloshd1

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 278
  • Cred: 31
  • Location: Kelvin, Jozi
Re: Fly tying - Learning how its done
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 07:38:25 PM »
Nice flies Gerhard, they will all catch fish. I especially like the one with the CDC wing in pic 8. I will take 10 in sizes 12, 14 and 16 please.  w;k
I'm a weekend drinker, I start on Saturday and end on Friday - Bill Hicks

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Fly tying - Learning how its done
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 08:20:21 PM »
Can't believe these are your first efforts Gerhard!?!? Brilliant man... good skills fella!!!  (clap)  + Cred.

Offline Herman Jooste

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 682
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Vanderbijlpark
Re: Fly tying - Learning how its done
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 08:55:29 PM »
Sounds like we might have the making of "UA Yellowfish Vaal Trip 1" here..... :uarocks

YES PLEEEEZE (clap).

If everyone is like Nico, Rory, and Schlossie, I don't know how much fishing will be done :hehe:
If we caught fish on every trip, it would be called " Catching". We don't, and that's why it's called "Fishing".

Offline nico

  • The original man (*)(*)
  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 773
  • Cred: 47
  • Gender: Male
  • Click above for cred!
  • Location: Gibraltar
Re: Fly tying - Learning how its done
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 06:57:52 AM »
If everyone is like Nico, Rory, and Schlossie, I don't know how much fishing will be done :hehe:

Hey, you think you can hide that comment in the flyfishing section and I won't see it?  :hehe:
 
Big brother is watching you LOL! You left Shag out the list  w;k
 
 

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Fly tying - Learning how its done
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 07:03:47 AM »
Looks like a HUGE UA yellow session must be planned to get the guys stretched after all the rain the last couple of months!!!  :happ: :happ:

Offline Monster

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 270
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Centurion
Re: Fly tying - Learning how its done
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 09:31:49 AM »
Hey herman

We fish hard... we only drink hard too.  Gerhard tose flies look awesome!!!

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Fly tying - Learning how its done
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 09:34:15 AM »
Hey herman

We fish hard... we only drink hard too.  Gerhard tose flies look awesome!!!

Thanks,

I will let you guys drink while I keep on fishing....  w;k

Offline Monster

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 270
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Centurion
Re: Fly tying - Learning how its done
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 09:37:23 AM »
Gerhard

We normaly just have a beer before and after a full session. Catching yellows comes first!!!

Offline Gerhard

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 904
  • Cred: 75
  • Gender: Male
  • Spinning,Jigging,Popping&Fly Fishing fanatic
  • Location: Where ever I put my rod tube
Re: Fly tying - Learning how its done
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 09:40:53 AM »
No problems with that.

I just dont drink alchol...

Will take a couple of cokes and a lot of water and join up.  w;k

Offline Monster

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 270
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Centurion
Re: Fly tying - Learning how its done
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 10:38:26 AM »
Niks Fout met 'n paar cokes nie!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal