Author Topic: Buying a spinning rod. Advice required  (Read 5707 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Heinz

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 8
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pietermaritzburg, KZN
Buying a spinning rod. Advice required
« on: January 27, 2021, 06:11:20 PM »
Please can anyone advise me. I am wanting to downsize and only use grinders. (sold my multipliers)
I am turning 74 and finding that I am not so agile anymore hence looking for something easier to cast with.
I have the following
1. An Assassin Bluefish 14"ft, 3 to 4oz paired with a Daiwa BG 5000 with 30lb braid for fishing on the banks.
2. A Shimano Vengeance 9ft, 1 to 3oz  spinning rod paired with a Daiwa 3000 Exceller with 20lb braid.
3.  I have a Daiwa Exceller Oceania 4500 with 30lb braid. I want to pair this with a 11/12 ft rod, but I am not sure what to buy.  I would like buy a rod that is versatile enough to spin with as well as throw a 3/4oz sinker with a small bait for bronze bream, galjoen, cracker, kob and garrick. I have thought about an Amia Kob special 1 to 4 oz, but it feels a bit heavy to spin with for a long period of time. I have also thought about the Battalion 1 to 4 oz. Then someone mentioned the Loomis Archipelago 11ft 1 to 3 oz. Are there any other rods that I could consider? My price range is R2000 to R2200. 
Looking forward to some great advice.
Heinz

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Buying a spinning rod. Advice required
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 07:09:45 AM »
Loomis all the way. Great reviews on the range, haven't heard anyone unhappy with the rods.

Offline Vaaliebassman

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 44
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Buying a spinning rod. Advice required
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 12:55:28 PM »
I have to go with Reefman on this...Loomis!
If you have nothing good to say then say nothing!

Offline Sting Ray

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 141
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gauteng
Re: Buying a spinning rod. Advice required
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 03:48:32 PM »
The 11ft XH Loomis is 1.5 - 4 oz, it is very light weight. :hnthnt:


Offline JeandlH

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 52
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Reebok, Western Cape
Re: Buying a spinning rod. Advice required
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 09:04:14 AM »
Loomis all the way! Amazing for the price.

Offline Big boy

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 44
  • Cred: 5
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Buying a spinning rod. Advice required
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 09:53:37 AM »
Loomis Archipelago buddy, you wont go wrong....
The water is a dark flower and a fisherman is a bee in the heart of her

Offline ianf

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 968
  • Cred: 46
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Randburg, Gauteng
Re: Buying a spinning rod. Advice required
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 01:21:05 PM »
Have you considered getting Brandon (Fishatic) to custom make you one. Maybe have a chat to him.

Offline scalci

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Hartbeespoort
Re: Buying a spinning rod. Advice required
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 09:45:06 PM »
Where is the best place to buy Gloomis from in South Africa?

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Buying a spinning rod. Advice required
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 01:48:47 PM »
I think GLoomis rods are mainly fly fishing and Bass rods?We're talking about Loomis and Franklin rods, which are available at most reputable tackle shops in the country.

Offline yakuza

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 37
  • Cred: 7
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Buying a spinning rod. Advice required
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2021, 03:10:41 PM »
If I can give you some solid advice, go and test and or feel the weight of the setups prior to purchase.


I also assisted my dearest granddad, he was 81 at the time with his first proper spinning setup (he loved them shad of any size). It turns out the local store owner who sold him his initial setup at a premium price did not take into account his age or the fact that he was not able to walk 3km on a good day and then be able to put in a good 2 hour non stop spinning session and catch his bag limits and then not be exhausted the remainder of the day by one such session. The setup he received was waaaay to heavy for his usage and completely unnecessary for his requirements, I then replaced everything and the toppie then out fished me on one or two occasions (the best memories ever)


All in consider your age, muscle definition, and own abilities  compared to  the weight of a complete setup prior to purchase as well as the type of fishing you will be doing.

Vis Lubbe

Offline Heinz

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 8
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pietermaritzburg, KZN
Re: Buying a spinning rod. Advice required
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2021, 05:30:21 PM »
Thanks very much for the advice. I contacted Brandon and he suggest the Loomis Archipelago. I bought the Loomis Archipelago 12ft rod from Ganis at a very good price. I am looking forward to using it next week in East London and then later at the Breede river.

Offline Big boy

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 44
  • Cred: 5
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Durban
Re: Buying a spinning rod. Advice required
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 03:05:39 PM »
Ahh... excellent choice  (clap), what reel are you going to pair the rod with,  :tite
The water is a dark flower and a fisherman is a bee in the heart of her

Offline ernie

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 10
  • Cred: 0
  • Location: Mpumalanga
Re: Buying a spinning rod. Advice required
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 09:03:55 PM »
Thanks for sharing Heinz and please let us know how the rod performs. I like the spec’s.  :tkx:

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal