Author Topic: Legal Abalone perlemoen  (Read 6429 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Echo7

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 137
  • Cred: 4
  • Location: Durban KZN
Legal Abalone perlemoen
« on: November 17, 2020, 08:22:05 PM »
This question has always bugged me, where does one buy legal abalone? Is there such a thing, I've eaten almost every seafood but never this.
With the thousands of kilos poached every year how come theyre not available for sale.
I would really like to try to find a legal source and taste them to see what the hoopla is about.

Offline CRANKMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 684
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Louis Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Legal Abalone perlemoen
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 10:30:52 AM »
Me too!
>('>
                   )<((°>
     }<(({°>

Offline adam

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 623
  • Cred: 138
  • Gender: Male
  • The lighter the tackle, the bigger the fish!
  • Location: Patensie E.C.
Re: Legal Abalone perlemoen
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 10:53:36 AM »
Some distributors like Robberg Fisheries sell farmed abalone.


I believe there are a couple of abalone farms on the west coast.
"I once caught a fish thiiiiiiiiss big, now pass another beer"

Offline adam

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 623
  • Cred: 138
  • Gender: Male
  • The lighter the tackle, the bigger the fish!
  • Location: Patensie E.C.
"I once caught a fish thiiiiiiiiss big, now pass another beer"

Offline CRANKMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 684
  • Cred: 58
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Louis Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Legal Abalone perlemoen
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 02:03:14 PM »
At that price I think I will stick with Lucky Star Pilchards  :craz: :rotfl
>('>
                   )<((°>
     }<(({°>

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Legal Abalone perlemoen
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 02:34:57 PM »
The Overberg , has a few farms .
I have been to one of them in Gans baai , impressive .


Some farms are government funded , with rules in place ect ect , profit sharing in the local communities .


One of the fascinating things they told us . It could take up to 11 years , to only start to make a profit , with no setbacks .







But I think , there might still be , quotas .
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: Legal Abalone perlemoen
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 02:35:54 PM »
Invictus , are perlemoen merchants , legally , and are in Gansbaai
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline RiyadhEd

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 141
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Legal Abalone perlemoen
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 09:36:26 AM »
Damn, I would love to do this!! Actually been contemplating moving out that way, but no idea of what to do work wise. I cant transfer the trade I am in, to that area at all!!

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal