0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Hi guys,So me and a person I know always have a bit of a argument regarding catch and release... Because he's the kind of person who has no regard for animal life and refuses to release anything he catches, even if he usually forgets about the fish he's taken home and ends up throwing a rotting fish away... Thus I refuse to go fishing with him and refuse to allow him to come near my private spot (literally on private property so he can't go without me) to avoid my fishing trip being ruined by his tendencies ... I, on the other hand release everything I catch, much to his frustration because you see, he argues that fish, once caught and removed from the water will not survive once returned, especially bigger fish... Yet I've released fish (bass) that I struggled to remove the hook and by the time I got it in the water it popped up on its side, after moving the fish back and forth in the water by holding on its lower jaw for about a minute it threw itself to the side, free of my grip and swam off, clearly exhausted... I felt bad for awhile thinking the fish probably died as a result of the ordeal yet a week later I caught the same bass in the same spot (the bass had a unique scar on its side), again I struggled with the hook but got him back and about 2 weeks later I caught it again... So I believe fish are tougher than we think and I think fish survive just fine once released, as long as they aren't mistreated during the process... Even fish that break off or are cut off by the hook have still got good cha ces of survival because somehow they shake the hook (not always, sometimes they can't but more often than not they get free)... The exception being fish that swallow hooks or get hooked in the top part of their mouth just before the gills (actually I've only seen this with small barbell) and foul hooked fish... Any thoughts on the survival of fish once caught and released?
Quote from: Kwade on July 20, 2020, 10:36:59 PMHi guys,So me and a person I know always have a bit of a argument regarding catch and release... Because he's the kind of person who has no regard for animal life and refuses to release anything he catches, even if he usually forgets about the fish he's taken home and ends up throwing a rotting fish away... Thus I refuse to go fishing with him and refuse to allow him to come near my private spot (literally on private property so he can't go without me) to avoid my fishing trip being ruined by his tendencies ... I, on the other hand release everything I catch, much to his frustration because you see, he argues that fish, once caught and removed from the water will not survive once returned, especially bigger fish... Yet I've released fish (bass) that I struggled to remove the hook and by the time I got it in the water it popped up on its side, after moving the fish back and forth in the water by holding on its lower jaw for about a minute it threw itself to the side, free of my grip and swam off, clearly exhausted... I felt bad for awhile thinking the fish probably died as a result of the ordeal yet a week later I caught the same bass in the same spot (the bass had a unique scar on its side), again I struggled with the hook but got him back and about 2 weeks later I caught it again... So I believe fish are tougher than we think and I think fish survive just fine once released, as long as they aren't mistreated during the process... Even fish that break off or are cut off by the hook have still got good cha ces of survival because somehow they shake the hook (not always, sometimes they can't but more often than not they get free)... The exception being fish that swallow hooks or get hooked in the top part of their mouth just before the gills (actually I've only seen this with small barbell) and foul hooked fish... Any thoughts on the survival of fish once caught and released?www.oritag.org.za some reading to get him started....Can't see the controversy... the science has been established decades ago!!! There's nothing to debate....Seems like a flat-earth kind of discussion...
There are 2 PETA websites: - People for the Ethical Treatment of AnimalsPeople Eating Tasty AnimalsDepends on your point of view which one you subscribe to.
Quote from: ianf on July 21, 2020, 11:39:59 AMThere are 2 PETA websites: - People for the Ethical Treatment of AnimalsPeople Eating Tasty AnimalsDepends on your point of view which one you subscribe to.What if you subscribe to both? I don't like to be cruel and only kill what I need to eat, understanding that whether I do it, a farmer or and abattoir does it, plant or animal, something must die for me to live. It is the eternal cycle of life. What I don't want is unnecessary death on my behalf and wasteful death and if I can have my cake and eat it, why do I want to eat it all for now, it is a stupid mentality. We can feast from the sea forever and get our sport and make money off tourism, if we are selective in what is kept for the table and release breeding stock and babies.
Quote from: John F on July 20, 2020, 11:01:54 PMQuote from: Kwade on July 20, 2020, 10:36:59 PMHi guys,So me and a person I know always have a bit of a argument regarding catch and release... Because he's the kind of person who has no regard for animal life and refuses to release anything he catches, even if he usually forgets about the fish he's taken home and ends up throwing a rotting fish away... Thus I refuse to go fishing with him and refuse to allow him to come near my private spot (literally on private property so he can't go without me) to avoid my fishing trip being ruined by his tendencies ... I, on the other hand release everything I catch, much to his frustration because you see, he argues that fish, once caught and removed from the water will not survive once returned, especially bigger fish... Yet I've released fish (bass) that I struggled to remove the hook and by the time I got it in the water it popped up on its side, after moving the fish back and forth in the water by holding on its lower jaw for about a minute it threw itself to the side, free of my grip and swam off, clearly exhausted... I felt bad for awhile thinking the fish probably died as a result of the ordeal yet a week later I caught the same bass in the same spot (the bass had a unique scar on its side), again I struggled with the hook but got him back and about 2 weeks later I caught it again... So I believe fish are tougher than we think and I think fish survive just fine once released, as long as they aren't mistreated during the process... Even fish that break off or are cut off by the hook have still got good cha ces of survival because somehow they shake the hook (not always, sometimes they can't but more often than not they get free)... The exception being fish that swallow hooks or get hooked in the top part of their mouth just before the gills (actually I've only seen this with small barbell) and foul hooked fish... Any thoughts on the survival of fish once caught and released?www.oritag.org.za some reading to get him started....Can't see the controversy... the science has been established decades ago!!! There's nothing to debate....Seems like a flat-earth kind of discussion...Agree with John F. There ain't no controversy. If you put a fish in your cooler bag to take home it has a hundred percent chance of death. If you release it the possibility of it surviving is billions of times better
This fish survived...unfortunately the person that caught it did not release it.
Let me start off by saying that I am not A biologist and I don't have A degree in conservation ect. But I always find this topic very interesting and informing. Ok I usually only read about carp but surely there are some similarity's in principle between bass and carp when it comes to this. The question we need to start of with is is it A conversation about ethics or is it about conservation?. If it is about ethics I support the idea that we try and release the fish we are not going to eat. We not only need to release them in the safest way possible but also catch them in the safest way possible. We pay for A fishing licence and that gives us the right according to our law to catch fish for the table, so one cant stop or force anyone to take the fish home that he catches. Even if it is A 7kg bass or 20kg carp. This is of course in public government owned venues. Catching to sell is something else and different permits are needed for this. If it is About conservation it is A whole other can of worms of course, carp and bass being alien fish ect, no matter how long its been here. When it comes to protecting fish the local species will always have the legal/government support (well until thus far anyways). Then it actually starts making sense to try and limit alien species to specific venues that can not influence our main water systems/rivers and its fauna and flora. Carp is my favourite fish to catch but I also want to conserve our local fauna and flora. Carp and Bass are here to stay, now way the current government can do anything about it. But if they do decide to limit them to specific venues I wont mind either. Then again, in some venues like the Vaal dam you might actually do the rest of the carp population A favor by taking out all the carp you catchs because of over population. I dont think is is as black and white as it might seem at first. I think every venue will have A different "best"approach. But like I say, I dont have any experience with this what so ever, so I might have it completely wrong.