0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Quote from: Kwaaijanvis on December 10, 2019, 07:12:25 PMQuote from: Kes on December 09, 2019, 07:17:46 AMHowsit Jan,Welcome to Ultimate.Like Fishatic said, in the competitive angling world, you tend to fish faster because there is no down time with overwinds and such. Plus it is slightly easier to cast a big bait with a grinder so this make fishing faster and easier. Aside from that, grinders have evolved and are very high tech these days compared to the grinders of say the early to mid 2000's when multiplier's were still the number one choice. There are a lot of features on grinders that trump the multiplier e.g.: stronger drags, larger line capacities, ease of casting as even a novice can fish these with relative ease etc etc.On the subject of purpose built rods, you are correct. A rod has to be built for a grinder reel for you to be able to use that rod and reel combo. You wont be able to chuck a grinder onto multiplier rod. It just wont work as well as a properly built grinder rod. Its a long conversation in respect of why.Braided lines have become more popular in accordance with the grinder reel's popularity but it has various other benefits. No stretch, lighter, thinner diameter than equivalent mono. You can pack more line of greater breaking strength on your reel. braided lines are not only for grinders. Like Fishatic alluded to, some of us here use it on multipliers straight on. What I mean is a lot of people use it as backing but some crazy people here use braid straight on as a mainline. Our reels are off course modified accordingly but that's another long story.Enjoy your stay and shout if you need to ask anything else..:)Thanks Kes, is it a realistic option to have a rod built? Where could I find someone who is good at building rods for grinders? I am able to get blanks used for the Purglass Executive rods?ThanksJanA custom built rod is the business bud. I modify all my rods when I'm not building from scratch, some even rebuild/modified straight off the shelf. The guy that builds all my rods is my recommendation. He is very good but he is a bit of a tosser.. :)His name is Brandon but goes by Fishatic on this forum. He has replied on this topic. Give him a shout and he will sort you out.
Quote from: Kes on December 09, 2019, 07:17:46 AMHowsit Jan,Welcome to Ultimate.Like Fishatic said, in the competitive angling world, you tend to fish faster because there is no down time with overwinds and such. Plus it is slightly easier to cast a big bait with a grinder so this make fishing faster and easier. Aside from that, grinders have evolved and are very high tech these days compared to the grinders of say the early to mid 2000's when multiplier's were still the number one choice. There are a lot of features on grinders that trump the multiplier e.g.: stronger drags, larger line capacities, ease of casting as even a novice can fish these with relative ease etc etc.On the subject of purpose built rods, you are correct. A rod has to be built for a grinder reel for you to be able to use that rod and reel combo. You wont be able to chuck a grinder onto multiplier rod. It just wont work as well as a properly built grinder rod. Its a long conversation in respect of why.Braided lines have become more popular in accordance with the grinder reel's popularity but it has various other benefits. No stretch, lighter, thinner diameter than equivalent mono. You can pack more line of greater breaking strength on your reel. braided lines are not only for grinders. Like Fishatic alluded to, some of us here use it on multipliers straight on. What I mean is a lot of people use it as backing but some crazy people here use braid straight on as a mainline. Our reels are off course modified accordingly but that's another long story.Enjoy your stay and shout if you need to ask anything else..:)Thanks Kes, is it a realistic option to have a rod built? Where could I find someone who is good at building rods for grinders? I am able to get blanks used for the Purglass Executive rods?ThanksJan
Howsit Jan,Welcome to Ultimate.Like Fishatic said, in the competitive angling world, you tend to fish faster because there is no down time with overwinds and such. Plus it is slightly easier to cast a big bait with a grinder so this make fishing faster and easier. Aside from that, grinders have evolved and are very high tech these days compared to the grinders of say the early to mid 2000's when multiplier's were still the number one choice. There are a lot of features on grinders that trump the multiplier e.g.: stronger drags, larger line capacities, ease of casting as even a novice can fish these with relative ease etc etc.On the subject of purpose built rods, you are correct. A rod has to be built for a grinder reel for you to be able to use that rod and reel combo. You wont be able to chuck a grinder onto multiplier rod. It just wont work as well as a properly built grinder rod. Its a long conversation in respect of why.Braided lines have become more popular in accordance with the grinder reel's popularity but it has various other benefits. No stretch, lighter, thinner diameter than equivalent mono. You can pack more line of greater breaking strength on your reel. braided lines are not only for grinders. Like Fishatic alluded to, some of us here use it on multipliers straight on. What I mean is a lot of people use it as backing but some crazy people here use braid straight on as a mainline. Our reels are off course modified accordingly but that's another long story.Enjoy your stay and shout if you need to ask anything else..:)
Not sure that a PM will get to him (unless the site has changed) but if you don't get hold of him here, I'm sure he will get back to you with contact details shortly.
To add, casting lighter baits and lures is easier with a grinder, such as when using a bung float for shadI was once bait fishing off the rocks with my 12ft grinder rod with a 5 oz tip and 6500 size grinder and saw a school of shad smash bait fish infront of me. I didn't have a dedicated spinning rod with me, but I had a couple of 1 oz spoons with me, so I quickly put a spoon on and threw for those shad. The rod and reel were not ideal for the spoons but I could throw far enough to get into the school and before long I had two bus shad at my feet. I wouldn't have been able to do that with a multiplier, I would've gotten an overwind in short order because of the lighter weight spoons. Grinders give you more options. They are more versatile in my mindIn terms of servicing, some people say they are more complicated than multipliers, but really it's more of a different approach to how you go about taking a grinder apart to service it, not necessarily more difficult. It's just a different learning curve if you are used to multipliers
I would also strongly suggest you get a bionic finger (because I always tend to forget my casting glove at home )They are like R100 and you can use cable ties to fix it to your rod.The other thing braid likes cutting other than mono is fingers
Quote from: Bamboes-Vis on December 11, 2019, 07:07:47 AMI would also strongly suggest you get a bionic finger (because I always tend to forget my casting glove at home )They are like R100 and you can use cable ties to fix it to your rod.The other thing braid likes cutting other than mono is fingers OK, I tried with a 14’ Assassin Bluefish rod with bionic finger, Daiwa 4500 and 25lbs braid. My performance was poor...., first cast lost the 5oz sinker to the sea and subsequent casts with 4oz sinker barely took my white muscle bait into the surf! all I managed to catch were two pieces of plastic.... and no, I did not catch and release! I clearly have much to learn with this method of casting? How does one select the grinder reel size, with matching rod, line, sinker for rock and surf for edibles?
The 14' Bluefish is rated to max 4oz and bait. What 4500 Daiwa have you got? BG?1. Use a 4oz sinker.2. Have you got a heavy-ish braid casting leader set up?4oz will pop 25lb braid pretty easily. I would suggest 60-80lb braid for the leader; ask the shop you purchased from to set it up and show you what to do to tie on a new one.
..Let me share with what I posted in response to someone giving a review on a coffee........lets say a sized 40 reel and now while I may not be too in tune with prices these days BUT 3k will get you more than a decent reel , please correct me if I am wrong....NOW with this reel and lets not get into rods right now coz thats a WHOLE different bun fight alltogether...you will be able to go scratching...then go for EDs with bait AND still be able to go gooi some lures.......the kob your grandfather caught in 1960 is the same type of kob you will catch today in 2020...I mean the kobbies havent morphed into some 16V twin turbo machine ....BUT we now need a reel for micro fishing...a reel for kob between 1kg and 5kg...then another coffee for 6kg to 10kg and so on and so on....
Quote from: Kent on October 24, 2020, 10:43:07 AM ..Let me share with what I posted in response to someone giving a review on a coffee........lets say a sized 40 reel and now while I may not be too in tune with prices these days BUT 3k will get you more than a decent reel , please correct me if I am wrong....NOW with this reel and lets not get into rods right now coz thats a WHOLE different bun fight alltogether...you will be able to go scratching...then go for EDs with bait AND still be able to go gooi some lures.......the kob your grandfather caught in 1960 is the same type of kob you will catch today in 2020...I mean the kobbies havent morphed into some 16V twin turbo machine ....BUT we now need a reel for micro fishing...a reel for kob between 1kg and 5kg...then another coffee for 6kg to 10kg and so on and so on....Kent, Please throw a 1 or 1.5oz plug on your 40 size multiplier filled with 0.50mm mono. Whilst it is technically possible it is not fun. Before you think I am advocating fixed spool over a multiplier, I am not: 1. A small multiplier say 20 or 30 size is heaps of fun with lures and bait2. Most anglers could scale back the size of their tackle and have more fun, do you really need a 40 size to catch a kob? Really?
Quote from: fishatic on October 25, 2020, 07:31:13 AMQuote from: Kent on October 24, 2020, 10:43:07 AM ..Let me share with what I posted in response to someone giving a review on a coffee........lets say a sized 40 reel and now while I may not be too in tune with prices these days BUT 3k will get you more than a decent reel , please correct me if I am wrong....NOW with this reel and lets not get into rods right now coz thats a WHOLE different bun fight alltogether...you will be able to go scratching...then go for EDs with bait AND still be able to go gooi some lures.......the kob your grandfather caught in 1960 is the same type of kob you will catch today in 2020...I mean the kobbies havent morphed into some 16V twin turbo machine ....BUT we now need a reel for micro fishing...a reel for kob between 1kg and 5kg...then another coffee for 6kg to 10kg and so on and so on....Kent, Please throw a 1 or 1.5oz plug on your 40 size multiplier filled with 0.50mm mono. Whilst it is technically possible it is not fun. Before you think I am advocating fixed spool over a multiplier, I am not: 1. A small multiplier say 20 or 30 size is heaps of fun with lures and bait2. Most anglers could scale back the size of their tackle and have more fun, do you really need a 40 size to catch a kob? Really? See now...and not start a bun fight...I actually do throw half ounce to max 2,5 oz spoons with my SL30 loaded with 12,5 kg mono....whats the fun you say??...well the fun is actually hooking and landing the kobbie...BTW...you doing that kobbie no good by playing him for hours on , say 4kg braid and a 6foot rod with a 30 size coffee ...rather release him green than all tuckered out...THAT being said ...hooking and landing a kobbie on spoon with a single hook takes a bit skill I tell you...its not all ruk n pluk...BUT...then again IF its JUST the catching is what its all about...WELL then Im certainly not in that league at all....