0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
What I mean is a lot of people use it as backing but some crazy people here use braid straight on as a mainline. Our reels are off course modified accordingly but that's another long story.
Quote from: Kes on December 09, 2019, 07:17:46 AMWhat I mean is a lot of people use it as backing but some crazy people here use braid straight on as a mainline. Our reels are off course modified accordingly but that's another long story.You calling me crazy? Har! I fish 50lb braid on my big Tranx bait caster without any hesitation.
I fish 50lb braid on my big Tranx bait caster without any hesitation.
Quote from: fishatic on December 09, 2019, 09:27:56 AMQuote from: Kes on December 09, 2019, 07:17:46 AMWhat I mean is a lot of people use it as backing but some crazy people here use braid straight on as a mainline. Our reels are off course modified accordingly but that's another long story.You calling me crazy? Har! I fish 50lb braid on my big Tranx bait caster without any hesitation.Yes I am, but I'm in the same boat so it doesn't really matter...I know that Tranx, it only looks like a baitcaster but its actually on steroids..
Quote from: Kes on December 09, 2019, 09:58:50 AMQuote from: fishatic on December 09, 2019, 09:27:56 AMQuote from: Kes on December 09, 2019, 07:17:46 AMWhat I mean is a lot of people use it as backing but some crazy people here use braid straight on as a mainline. Our reels are off course modified accordingly but that's another long story.You calling me crazy? Har! I fish 50lb braid on my big Tranx bait caster without any hesitation.Yes I am, but I'm in the same boat so it doesn't really matter...I know that Tranx, it only looks like a baitcaster but its actually on steroids.. We still need to build you a rod for that monster....
Howsit Jan,Welcome to Ultimate.Like Fishatic said, in the competitive angling world, you tend to fish faster because there is no down time with overwinds and such. Plus it is slightly easier to cast a big bait with a grinder so this make fishing faster and easier. Aside from that, grinders have evolved and are very high tech these days compared to the grinders of say the early to mid 2000's when multiplier's were still the number one choice. There are a lot of features on grinders that trump the multiplier e.g.: stronger drags, larger line capacities, ease of casting as even a novice can fish these with relative ease etc etc.On the subject of purpose built rods, you are correct. A rod has to be built for a grinder reel for you to be able to use that rod and reel combo. You wont be able to chuck a grinder onto multiplier rod. It just wont work as well as a properly built grinder rod. Its a long conversation in respect of why.Braided lines have become more popular in accordance with the grinder reel's popularity but it has various other benefits. No stretch, lighter, thinner diameter than equivalent mono. You can pack more line of greater breaking strength on your reel. braided lines are not only for grinders. Like Fishatic alluded to, some of us here use it on multipliers straight on. What I mean is a lot of people use it as backing but some crazy people here use braid straight on as a mainline. Our reels are off course modified accordingly but that's another long story.Enjoy your stay and shout if you need to ask anything else..:)
Thanks for all the advice! I wish I had more time to go fishing and I am definitely not in the league of competition fisherman! I now have the opportunity to try fishing on the West Coast (beach only, no rocks) and hence I would like to try the grinder/braid method for steenbras, cob and the odd lost galjoen. Would a 14’ Assassin rod with a Daiwa BG 4500 reel with 30lbs braid be a good combination to start with?
Quote from: Kes on December 09, 2019, 07:17:46 AMHowsit Jan,Welcome to Ultimate.Like Fishatic said, in the competitive angling world, you tend to fish faster because there is no down time with overwinds and such. Plus it is slightly easier to cast a big bait with a grinder so this make fishing faster and easier. Aside from that, grinders have evolved and are very high tech these days compared to the grinders of say the early to mid 2000's when multiplier's were still the number one choice. There are a lot of features on grinders that trump the multiplier e.g.: stronger drags, larger line capacities, ease of casting as even a novice can fish these with relative ease etc etc.On the subject of purpose built rods, you are correct. A rod has to be built for a grinder reel for you to be able to use that rod and reel combo. You wont be able to chuck a grinder onto multiplier rod. It just wont work as well as a properly built grinder rod. Its a long conversation in respect of why.Braided lines have become more popular in accordance with the grinder reel's popularity but it has various other benefits. No stretch, lighter, thinner diameter than equivalent mono. You can pack more line of greater breaking strength on your reel. braided lines are not only for grinders. Like Fishatic alluded to, some of us here use it on multipliers straight on. What I mean is a lot of people use it as backing but some crazy people here use braid straight on as a mainline. Our reels are off course modified accordingly but that's another long story.Enjoy your stay and shout if you need to ask anything else..:)Thanks Kes, is it a realistic option to have a rod built? Where could I find someone who is good at building rods for grinders? I am able to get blanks used for the Purglass Executive rods?ThanksJan
He tosses a plug good few meters... Seen it with my own eyes.