Author Topic: 8 must have shore angling lures plugs and spoons.  (Read 12010 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Hennie2809

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 36
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Live today as if it is your last day.
  • Location: Centurion Pretoria
8 must have shore angling lures plugs and spoons.
« on: September 19, 2019, 09:10:37 AM »
Im am new to spinning and lure angling in saltwater.
I need to buy lures for my tackle box.


What would you guys suggest are the 8 ESSENTIAL lures or more I must have to successfully fish from topwater to the bottom.


My target species is Garrick, Cob and Shad on the West Coast.


I use a Daiwa 4000 BG grinder with 20lb braid and a Daiwa 11" rod. 


Regards


 :grk: :shd:
You live every day, but you die only once.

Offline PRENO

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 238
  • Cred: 7
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Bluff, Scottburgh
Re: 8 must have shore angling lures plugs and spoons.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 10:08:49 AM »
Hope someone assists here, as this would be helpful to me also.
 
Family is happiness

Offline 2bar.boost

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 273
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Teown
Re: 8 must have shore angling lures plugs and spoons.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 11:11:42 AM »
Hope someone assists here, as this would be helpful to me also.
 
Me too, including :shd:

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: 8 must have shore angling lures plugs and spoons.
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 11:55:46 AM »
So this is West Coast, which is completely different to the KZN Coast...
My take on this would be:

Normal S Bend white metal spoons
Bucktail jigs - olive/white is go to.
Clone Lures
GT Ice cream plugs for Garrick
Predator chisel nose plugs
Paddle tail soft plastics
I'm sure the Capies can add to this list.


KZN Coast
GT Ice creams - needle nose and square face
Pink and green glow CID couta casting no 2 spoons
Iron Candy spoons
Daiwa Minnow
Bucktail Jigs - olive/white
Sheppie Bomber spoon
Paddle Tail soft plastics


If you have Purple Onde Onda lures, those are a must have, but they are much like Gwede Mantashe's brain, Unobtainable.

Offline PRENO

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 238
  • Cred: 7
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Bluff, Scottburgh
Re: 8 must have shore angling lures plugs and spoons.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 12:17:50 PM »
 :tkx: Thank you Reefz
You really helped me a lot with my spinning questions. really appreciated.
Family is happiness

Offline 2bar.boost

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 273
  • Cred: 6
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Teown
Re: 8 must have shore angling lures plugs and spoons.
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 12:47:37 PM »
 :tkx: :tkx: :tkx:

Offline SAfish

  • Angler of the Month - April 2015
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 4238
  • Cred: 137
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Knysna, South Africa
Re: 8 must have shore angling lures plugs and spoons.
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 01:45:32 PM »
Reefs, you have it pretty much spot on. I would ad a stickbait and a small popper for top water action.

Offline Hennie2809

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 36
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Live today as if it is your last day.
  • Location: Centurion Pretoria
Re: 8 must have shore angling lures plugs and spoons.
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 11:01:44 AM »
Thank yo Reefman and SAfish. You guys rock. Any other guys that can help a lot of us not knowing these basics.   
I assume Reefman that the paddle tails can be used with the bucktail jigs as well.
What weight must the spoon be.


 :tkx: again, great help.
You live every day, but you die only once.

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: 8 must have shore angling lures plugs and spoons.
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 11:35:41 AM »
West coast , lure fishing options , are very limited , but berg river , ca none investigated , elf , kob , I have my doubts about the system , heard bad things about tthe areas interms of bag and size limits , netting ect .


Langebaan , can be good , for elf , very large elf , but generally , you’ll need a boat , and then have to work the line , langebaan , have a very heavy current , up to 8 knots it’s hectic , any lure options are limited to slack tides .


The one thing that’s loads of fun , and nice to teach your kids , in the shallows in langebaan , there’s large lesser sand sharks , feed very close , and you can easily catch them on flies . Nothing hectic to be needed , few small clousers and prawn type , rods from 5 to 9 weight will suffice .


I would ad to the list , s small chiselnose plug in white , there are literally hundreds to choose from , I would suggest a small one 1 Oz or even smaller .
I know the guys get a few kob , every now and then in melkbos , but it’s also small craft mission , a canoe , are the go to craft for those kobs .


Strand you have a couple better options , small two tone spoons , Toby spoons , small poppers , for the elf and leeries .


I will always suggest a clone lure , but for some reason the capetowninans just don’t like them . I like them a lot for me kob and yellowtail fishing .


A packet of pabbletails the 4 or 5 inch , with a few jig heads in half once tot 1.5 Oz jigs .
Agian , I would suggest , sizing down your lures in the western cape . You will be more successful .


The rise of slow jigs , are fast becoming , very popular , and seems to have lots of success , jig para , ect they come in lots of sizes , from I thing 6 grams , right up to 60 grams .  Just because it’s new I would like to try them too , going on catches I have seen maybe by the slow jig/ flutter jigs .


I will think a lil bit and post agian .
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline PatrickH

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 116
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Be the difference you want to see
  • Location: Cape Town Western Cape
Re: 8 must have shore angling lures plugs and spoons.
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 04:29:33 PM »
For spinning on the West coast.
Chrome flatback, AB spinners (Various sizes for Longfin down to shad)
Wally weeks and Steve Champion spinner are also very effective

Offline Plugger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 977
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Forest Hills, Durban
Re: 8 must have shore angling lures plugs and spoons.
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 07:26:04 AM »
My "go to" spoon is the Abu Toby. The proper one not the cheaper knock offs. I've caught and lost Kingies and countless Shad on them. Next would be Onde Onda and then the Flanker ( olive colour). If none of these work you may as well go home w;k w;k
Education is important but fishing is importanter !

Offline Lenny

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 2529
  • Cred: 124
  • Gender: Male
  • Catch and Release
  • Location: Struisbaai
Re: 8 must have shore angling lures plugs and spoons.
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 08:29:05 AM »
To be very honest , from the bank , side , surf , I have not really put in the effort , to deem my spooning anything to write here about , I do have a plethora of them .


I do however , caught bins of tail , on spinners , tons  any many spinners work , these  flat backs and wallies are super spinners for tail , the painted , tinker flatbacks , they have one that stand out for me , and the only spinner I would seem fit to compare , whit a whittul ( locally made by non other than Trail whittul , yellowtail expert ) spinner , the brown sardine flatback , scarce  so if you fish from a boat for tail , and come across them , buy them , you will not be sorry .


What do you guys say about the  leadheads , bucktails ? I have only really fished them two seasons , with a bit of success . Tied a few nice ones up , keen to give them a serious go this season .
Self catering , family accommodation available  in Struisbaai . Contact Leon 0780394225

Offline Visenvryheid

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 456
  • Cred: 30
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing and freedom! Thank the Almighty!
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: 8 must have shore angling lures plugs and spoons.
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2019, 09:22:35 PM »
Will Fish Eat a Block of Wood?

From the 'Marling Baits" channel, an expert custom lure maker, Will a fish eat a block of wood?

Proof that actually you don't need anything fancy to catch a fish.

OK, in the freshwater..bass but same same.. The yanks are about to discover the humble breadboard plug aka, seal point plug etc..it is the next logical step in discovering that paint jobs, eyes and even form for that matter are more designed to catch fishermen and the most important thing as I have been taught is to throw the lure and retrieve it in front of a feeding fish, the rest is all secondary LOL..

I am still learning, but when I was really really learning, the experienced guys here told me it was more important to throw the thing in front of a fish and make it have the right cadence, more than eyes, colour, shape etc..and I should just throw what I know what works if I am blind spinning and if the fish are in a frenzy chowing, then whip out all the toys and experiment and see what else they will eat and how they react to it. I was told to fish one spoon only till I had caught enough fish to have some experience and play around. In hindsight the best advice possible and I fished a 1.5 to 3 oz size of that spoon and caught from tuna species a few of, to leeries, hooked cob, shad by the bag, katonkel by the dozen and some bigger gamefish. I still fish mainly 3 lures for most salt water species in various sizes, wayne stanleys slinky from 1 oz to 3, and 2 spoons shapes. There are few predators that I will not catch on those if I can throw it in front of them. A plain block of wood would probably work just fine LOL..I used to get fancy in my DIY's but then my mate would consistantly outfish me with a blind, cripple piece of breadboard. So one learns and adapts. He still outfishes me but that the gap is less!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 09:49:23 AM by Visenvryheid »

Offline PRENO

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 238
  • Cred: 7
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Bluff, Scottburgh
Re: 8 must have shore angling lures plugs and spoons.
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2019, 08:20:24 AM »
I watched this video..was surprised that Bass will take anything also watched some other videos of Bass caught on rat lures, Lego Lures etc..


Yesterday at Ansteys here in the Bluff in KZN..watched this guy with his 8 ft rod, reel and a spoon about 1 to 1.5 oz looking at the size, walk pass me and go far away to my right..he is the only one there and he fished on a bit of a rocky area....all the other guys was using whole sardine bait for Shad (these guys where on the far left of me.. but they never got a bite)..


This guy spinning was definitely from the area... I watched him and his technique from far..he cast his spoon.about 50m and reels at normal speed.....first cast...first shad...second cast..same distance..second shad...saw another guy go fish next to him..he uses bait..no fish...both the guy fishes about an hour or so..no fish after....a guy to my left catches one shad...after that no fish..


But I learned a lot from this guy that was spinning just by watching him.
Family is happiness

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal