Author Topic: Pictures Of your biggest trout  (Read 14042 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Tsutsuma

  • Guest
Re: Pictures Of your biggest trout
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 07:49:12 PM »
Come - give us more info on SA Trout please
How many species of trout found in SA?

Offline jaenswart

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Pictures Of your biggest trout
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2010, 07:52:43 PM »
Come - give us more info on SA Trout please
How many species of trout found in SA?

Natively none.

wild populations introduced - only 4 species.\

 Eastern cape - Rainbow Trout
 Natal Midlands - Rainbow, Brown and brook trout
 Mpumalanga - Rainbow, brown and landlocked salmon

All Golden trout I have ever seen were stocked.

That makes it 5 species that I am aware of.

The Rainbow is by far the most abundant.

Tsutsuma

  • Guest
Re: Pictures Of your biggest trout
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2010, 07:56:55 PM »
Natively none.

wild populations introduced - only 4 species.\

 Eastern cape - Rainbow Trout
 Natal Midlands - Rainbow, Brown and brook trout
 Mpumalanga - Rainbow, brown and landlocked salmon

All Golden trout I have ever seen were stocked.

That makes it 5 species that I am aware of.

The Rainbow is by far the most abundant.
Thanks Jaen
That info makes it interesting for us non trout anglers
I will fish with Stephan next Winter
What do you think to arrange a UA get together next winter at Stephans Trout Lodge??
Can we start something please??

Offline jaenswart

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Pictures Of your biggest trout
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2010, 08:02:47 PM »
Thanks Jaen
That info makes it interesting for us non trout anglers
I will fish with Stephan next Winter
What do you think to arrange a UA get together next winter at Stephans Trout Lodge??
Can we start something please??

Ill definitely be there. I love fly fishing for those magnificent fish.
Will tie us some Jaen special flies for the event

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Pictures Of your biggest trout
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2010, 08:38:07 PM »
that is not the same golden trout as in your pic - the one found is SA is a hybrid - In fact, this last week I was with Wolf Avni - a trout breeder and very knowledgeable about throut - especially in SA - he told me about its hybridisation - it is a reccessive gene that has been in bred to get the gold

As for the silver salmon - its a salmon not a trout actually

Offline jaenswart

  • Retired
  • *
  • Posts: 0
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
Re: Pictures Of your biggest trout
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2010, 09:21:43 PM »
that is not the same golden trout as in your pic - the one found is SA is a hybrid - In fact, this last week I was with Wolf Avni - a trout breeder and very knowledgeable about throut - especially in SA - he told me about its hybridisation - it is a reccessive gene that has been in bred to get the gold

As for the silver salmon - its a salmon not a trout actually

as you wish :-) albino , golden hybrid or whatever..you can catch them.
Salmon and trout are very very close family, but you are right they are sibling in the family tree

I know Wolf well and have been to Giants Cup a few times. Very opinionated. But interesting man. I quite enjoyed his books, different style of writing but nice

Offline WalkersKiller

  • Fish The Sea | Fish The Fly | Gareth Roocroft
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 7417
  • Cred: 366
  • Gender: Male
  • Conservation First!
  • Location: Edenvale, Gauteng
Re: Pictures Of your biggest trout
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2010, 10:54:35 AM »
Wow great stuff guys thanks for sharing!  :happ:

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal