Author Topic: Christmas present  (Read 3615 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Plugger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 977
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Forest Hills, Durban
Christmas present
« on: December 20, 2018, 08:07:30 AM »
Christmas present from me to me, but I can't cast cause of @$&!? torn rotation cuff.
Education is important but fishing is importanter !

Offline ianf

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 968
  • Cred: 46
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Randburg, Gauteng
Re: Christmas present
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 08:14:21 AM »
Go and have the operation and get it sorted out. It's a hassle, but the operation sorts it out. I messed mine up taking my fishing ski off the roof racks of the car (trying to be Rambo, doing it by myself). Had the op, and it took a while for everything to get going properly again, but was worth it. No hassles ever since then. Now I ask for help, or get the younger people to do the really heavier, awkward stuff.

Offline dugong

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1676
  • Cred: 54
  • Location: Durban - Warmwater country!!
Re: Christmas present
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 08:15:00 AM »
What a waste......give it to me :hnthnt:
Just Fish!!!

Offline Plugger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 977
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Forest Hills, Durban
Re: Christmas present
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 08:20:51 AM »
No one is keen to operate on me right now because I've just had a mitral valve replacement op.Been to a physio and had the ultrasound scan.They tell me to manage the pain for now.I can only think it happened whilst I was in ICU
Education is important but fishing is importanter !

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Christmas present
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 10:10:31 AM »
Nice prezzie Plugger...!
I;m currently in a sling, had my Rotator cuff surgery 5 days ago...  :shk
Suffered on and off with it for 12 years, but it just got worse and worse until I could hardly move anymore.
What works best is to get your Doc to give you a Cortisone shot into the joint while doing Ultrasound, works fab for 2-3 months, then the pain starts all over again. The only way I've fished the last 5 years is a pre-trip Steroid shot.
Not ideal medicine, but a oke has to fish every now and again...  :hnthnt:

Offline Plugger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 977
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Forest Hills, Durban
Re: Christmas present
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 11:46:52 AM »
Thanks Reefs , they are not keen to even do that until the heart is sorted out.
Education is important but fishing is importanter !

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Christmas present
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 11:53:06 AM »
Been there... done that... Both the Xmas pressie and the surgery. Had the op in June now trying to get a trip together for the new year. Enjoy it Plugger.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Plugger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 977
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Forest Hills, Durban
Re: Christmas present
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 01:01:01 PM »
I guess I'll just have to sit on the deck and watch what the other guys catch.
Education is important but fishing is importanter !

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Christmas present
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 03:15:21 PM »
Seems a lot of fishermen have to eventually have Rotator Cuff surgery... would be interesting to know if the incidence is higher than in the general population ---> maybe the unnatural casting action?!

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Christmas present
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 03:16:51 PM »
Thanks Reefs , they are not keen to even do that until the heart is sorted out.
For sure... makes sense. Sorry dude.

Offline Plugger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 977
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Forest Hills, Durban
Re: Christmas present
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 03:21:23 PM »
I'm pretty sure mine was from being yanked around whilst I was unconscious in ICU for 16 days . I initially thought it was from the stroke but I've recovered almost 100 percent from that.
Education is important but fishing is importanter !

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Christmas present
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 03:23:50 PM »
Seems a lot of fishermen have to eventually have Rotator Cuff surgery... would be interesting to know if the incidence is higher than in the general population ---> maybe the unnatural casting action?!

Age and specific physical activities (heavy manual labour, sports, etc)  play a major role https://greatbasinortho.com/articles/rotator-cuff-tear-common-repairable-injury
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Christmas present
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 03:27:25 PM »
Seems a lot of fishermen have to eventually have Rotator Cuff surgery... would be interesting to know if the incidence is higher than in the general population ---> maybe the unnatural casting action?!


I think it's likely... My physio told me that fast bowlers have an extremely high incidence of rotator cuff injury. Mine occurred because of a high impact fall followed by 4 days of throwing 200g+ poppers at the horizon.  :vio
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Plugger

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 977
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Forest Hills, Durban
Re: Christmas present
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2018, 03:37:12 PM »
Seems a lot of fishermen have to eventually have Rotator Cuff surgery... would be interesting to know if the incidence is higher than in the general population ---> maybe the unnatural casting action?!

Age and specific physical activities (heavy manual Labour, sports, etc)  play a major role https://greatbasinortho.com/articles/rotator-cuff-tear-common-repairable-injury


Interesting article.perhaps I'll be able to throw light spoons with my Amia.
Education is important but fishing is importanter !

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Christmas present
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2018, 03:41:20 PM »
I've been flicking for bass right through from before the op and shortly after it (maybe a month after)... Basically, as long as you're not having to lift your elbow to the point where it hurts in the shoulder you are fine.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal