Author Topic: Mosambique, Malongane to Mamoli baitfish  (Read 2247 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Speedy007

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Witbank, Mpumalanga
Mosambique, Malongane to Mamoli baitfish
« on: November 10, 2017, 08:13:35 AM »
Hi everyone. Im planning a trip to Mozambique and plannimg the final parts of my trip. I wil be staying by Azul estates between Malongane and Mamoli and I have all the reef coordinates to go fish at. I will be going with kayaks and would like to know what reef to go to for live bait. Im launching in front of Bass reef city and deeper in is Pinnacles reef. Any pointers what reef to head to for live bait and what Sabiki rig works best? Thanks

Offline Shikz

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 29
  • Cred: 2
  • Location: Greenstone
Re: Mosambique, Malongane to Mamoli baitfish
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 09:39:25 AM »
Hi Speedy, when are you going? I am in Ponta Malongane between 23-26th Nov.

If you are around, lets fish!
 :gt:

Offline Visenvryheid

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 456
  • Cred: 30
  • Gender: Male
  • Fishing and freedom! Thank the Almighty!
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Mosambique, Malongane to Mamoli baitfish
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 11:20:49 AM »
Don't know about the moz baitfish, but our bait is not fussy when it comes to sabiki's..Match the hook size to the bait (NB) and the DIY ones out of coffee packet were the winners. Use thicker mono than a commercial sabiki and it will last longer and be reusable and tangle less. No more than four flys on a string so it is easy to manage and store on a piece of pool noodle. I once made one rig with different materials on each fly, tinsel, glow in the dark stuff, feathers and coffee packet mylar (as per "the handmade fisherman" on youtube) and dropped it into bait to see if there was a pattern to what they bit. The mylar winged fly was the winner, getting nailed each time, till the coblets and razor shad feeding on the bait started commiting harakiri on the mylar fly and we had to give up..the next spot I just dropped the one than was just mylar flies and got full strings. Used .6mm mono for rig mainline and .45/.5 or so for hook snoods, had a full string of jumbo size macks (kg+ size) on before on one of the homemade sabiki's and it held just fine, felt like I had a good size tuna on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IumY_tFwzeo

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal