Author Topic: Travel rod  (Read 6759 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline gareth88

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 50
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town
Travel rod
« on: February 16, 2017, 03:17:03 PM »
Hi guys,

Let me start off my saying that I know there is no perfect all-round rod, and that it's better to have one for each application of fishing. My current "all-rounder" is a Trevala 7ft ML, but as it's a one piece it's difficult to travel with and not an option to take on a plane. So, I'm looking for a good travel rod, that ideally comes with a case that can safely go on a plane or be squashed into a car full of people for a road trip.

The clear favourite from the research I'm managed to do on my own is the shimano Aerocast (either the 7ft or 8ft, any advice as to which one would be appreciated?). With this I think I'd be able to spin and throw small plugs for kingfish and small tuna in Mozambique/Madagascar, as well as target Kob and garrick in our more local waters, and perhaps even target grunter on top water lures (although it would be a bit of overkill) if we were on a family holiday in the eastern cape.

I would like to ask everyone else if there are any other options that I should consider and what they might be?

There are so many suppliers these days, but I've found it difficult to find the info I'm looking for. The other options I've considered (and maybe this is because shimano seems to offer the most info) is the new shimano exage ft. It also seems to come in a travel case, but unlike it's strong and rugged predecessor, it seems like a really light outfit with a maximum casting weight of just 1 oz. So I don't think it would be able to handle kingies or yellowtail and needs to be excluded.

I also like the look of the Shimano crucial tiger 7ft and think it could stand up to the fish in question. However, it doesn't even come with a bag (let alone a travel case) so also needs to be excluded.

The other, potentially promising, option is the sensation pro series travel (7 or 8ft if possible). It seems to come in a travel case and would work on that front. However, I've really struggled to find any meaningful information about the quality of the guides (and who makes them), as well as whether it would be capable of handling the kind of fishing I'm interested in? I'm sure there must also be other options from the likes of Berkley, assassin, Penn, etc. but I haven't been able to find the required info.

I hope some of you knowledgable guys will be able to help by adding your thoughts and knowledge.

Many thanks
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 03:18:56 PM by gareth88 »

Offline MIKE PIKE

  • Ultimate Hero
  • *****
  • Posts: 3886
  • Cred: 196
  • Gender: Male
Re: Travel rod
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 03:53:33 PM »
Have a look at the Assassin Amia 7ft XH  / 2pc , good backbone and easily transportable .

Offline Zberg

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 131
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Travel rod
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 04:08:27 PM »
The Amia comes in an 8ft 3pc travel option as well, cant remember if it comes with a tube or not, the 11ft 4pc does, but tubes are not super pricey to buy separately unless you buy a really fancy one.


from Ifish site...
AA8XH-3 :  3 piece with TUBE Recommended Casting Weight: 1oz - 2˝oz (28g-70g) PE Rating (Braided Line):  PE 1.5 - 2.5 (17lb - 35lb) LENGTH: 8’’/2.4m
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 04:41:38 PM by Zberg »

Offline gareth88

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 50
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Travel rod
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 04:24:22 PM »
Thanks for the replies so far guys.


I'll definitely have a look at the amina 7/8ft and see if there is a tube that it will fit nicely. Any advice on where to look for reasonably priced tubes? Also when conducting my initial research I couldn't find any useful info about that particular amina, there was just lots and lots about the 11ft. So if anyone has the specs, I'll really appreciate it if you wouldn't mind sharing them.

Offline Zberg

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 131
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Travel rod
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 04:30:40 PM »
Added the specs in my post.
Same rating as the 11xh I think so dont think it will stand back for many fish. I remember seeing an article a year or so back where Rob Kyle got stuck into some proper size Geets in Kosi with the travel version so it should have enough power.
I see the specs mention it gets a tube for travel versions.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 04:33:07 PM by Zberg »

Offline ravingdiode

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 45
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Northern Suburbs CPT, Western Cape
Re: Travel rod
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 04:46:32 PM »
I bought the Sensation Pro Travel series last week, specifically for traveling. At R850 (at ganis.co.za) it is a good price.

The guides are very strong or sturdy. It doesn't bend easily and that was the first thing I noticed as many rod guides seem to be flimsy. I don't know what type of guides it is, but I am very happy with how it feels and will be testing it out end of the month.

Comes with tube and very nice cloth cover too. R850 + R150 for shipping, makes it good value for money. It is rated to 2Oz and line rating is 15-40lb braided.

Offline victorius

  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 163
  • Cred: 2
  • Location: Centurion - Gauteng
Re: Travel rod
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 04:57:21 PM »
I have seen a Mates Posiden Power Angler 11 ft 3 Piece rod which is very Compact for Travel. I cannot talk about the performance having not used it although I am considering getting this one for the same reasons as you - as a one size fits all Rod. Anyone heard or used this Rod as yet ?

Offline gareth88

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 50
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Travel rod
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 08:23:47 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys. I think the Amina could be a real option to rival the aerocast :)

Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Travel rod
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 09:23:09 AM »
It's an AMIA Gareth, not Amina...  w;k

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Travel rod
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 09:40:15 AM »
Had a quick look at the Phenix travel blank on Mudhole last night  w;k


http://www.mudhole.com/RTX-760-3M-B
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline gareth88

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 50
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Travel rod
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 11:23:07 AM »
@Reefman Amia just doesn't role off the tough as nicely haha




FishStyx, that's really interesting. Do you know if anyone in SA will stock them by any chance?

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Travel rod
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 11:26:58 AM »
@Reefman Amia just doesn't role off the tough as nicely haha

Also off the tongue :hehe:


FishStyx, that's really interesting. Do you know if anyone in SA will stock them by any chance?


I would just consider importing it. My sister should be coming out to visit from the States in July. I know someone in the Cape was bringing in complete Phenix rods but apparently sort of intermittently.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline Ziggy

  • Grunter hunter - Ultimate photoshopper
  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1672
  • Cred: 182
  • Gender: Male
  • Teeth that bite!
  • Location: Durban
Re: Travel rod
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 12:08:42 PM »
this is my travel spinning rod - a little on the short and light side, but enough to keep me busy. Bought it in Malaysia. It has travels with me everywhere  - along with my travel fly rod

Offline gareth88

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 50
  • Cred: 1
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Cape Town
Re: Travel rod
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 01:58:02 PM »
@Reefman Amia just doesn't role off the tough as nicely haha

Also off the tongue :hehe:


FishStyx, that's really interesting. Do you know if anyone in SA will stock them by any chance?


I would just consider importing it. My sister should be coming out to visit from the States in July. I know someone in the Cape was bringing in complete Phenix rods but apparently sort of intermittently.


I never realised just how bad my typing is ... until now  :blush:

Offline Tima

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 13
  • Cred: 0
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane, Australia
Re: Travel rod
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 12:15:11 PM »
St Croix Triumph 9' Travel from the USA is pretty good if you can get someone to bring one over.

Tim

Offline Zberg

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 131
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Re: Travel rod
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 09:50:35 PM »
I think there are some good options mentioned here.
Can't really go wrong with any of them.

Just for interest sake... Okuma, who are making quite a big push in 2017 with an overhaul of almost their entire catalogue, have recently launched 2 new travel style rods in the US. The Nomad (salt - 3 versions) and the SST (fresh)
The Nomad looks very interesting with ALPS badging all over the components and at fairly reasonable prices (in $), whether they will make it to SA is entirely another debate.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 10:01:53 PM by Zberg »

Offline Rory mundy

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 1762
  • Cred: 66
  • Gender: Male
  • vidalbum
  • Location: St Lucia
Re: Travel rod
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 07:58:18 AM »
Can't go wrong with the airocast we have pulled tuna up to 20kg on them and my boet a few sailies got all three lenghts 7 8 and 11 the last one casts a mile

vidalbum

Offline L Hooker

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1330
  • Cred: 55
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Travel rod
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 08:32:06 AM »
I bought a St Croix 7ft m/h tidemaster, 3 piece rod from Basil Manning about 4yrs ago. Great little rod with good backbone, I use it offshore as well as on my Tiger fishing trips great travel rod. I slipped & fell on it about 2yrs ago whilst fishing for tiger, sent it to Basil and they in turn sent it back to St Croix received a brand new rod back only paid for postage!

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Travel rod
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 12:33:30 PM »

FishStyx, that's really interesting. Do you know if anyone in SA will stock them by any chance?


I got hold of Nick Jones who imports Phenix rods (amongst a few other nice bits of tackle... http://www.trailblazerfishing.co.za/) and he had 5 Redeyes that he returned to the USA because he was unable to sell them here.  sry
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal