Author Topic: Jenzen spoon  (Read 2293 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline philter

  • Phil
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 109
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • WishIcould
  • Location: Springs Gauteng
Jenzen spoon
« on: June 15, 2016, 10:37:43 AM »
I like to go to small out of the way shops to look for hard to find or out of production lures, and found an old spoon at a small shop in Germiston, unfortunately I can't find anything about it online. The writing on the spoon says "Jenzen Spoon" and "Design Reg S Africa" . I thought the inscription was odd, as if it was made locally then why not say so, I presume the second row means that the design was registered in S.A.


Was wondering if any of the older members have any info with regards the spoon, where and when it was made etc, would like to see if I can find out more about it.


Thanks all

Offline Kent

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 836
  • Cred: 72
  • Gender: Male
  • Gonubie
  • Location: Gonubie
Re: Jenzen spoon
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 11:25:22 AM »
 :fshn: ..Back in the day Jensen was the go to spoon for kob.....the Ole Guard believed in the "low n slow" retrieve and 99% of the time over sand banks and off of sandy beaches or points....these 4 to 8oz Jensen spoons were used to great effect off the East London Western Wall and when the conditions and sea was spot on , regular 30 odd kay kob were landed there...They also used BIG 8/0 trebs on these spoons ...throwing with 49A,s ....30kg Maxima and mostly 14f Sylaflex rods......I still have about three of these Jensens...does not suit my way of throwing spoon for kob though...
Just GO FISH!!!


Offline REEFMAN

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 9766
  • Cred: 768
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Jozi
Re: Jenzen spoon
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 11:28:34 AM »
I remember the old JENZEN WIZARD spoon. Haven't seen one in 40 years!! Really ugly looking thing!! They must be collectables now.

Offline philter

  • Phil
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 109
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • WishIcould
  • Location: Springs Gauteng
Re: Jenzen spoon
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 10:25:49 PM »
Reefs and Kent, thanks for the replies, this spoon weighs in at about 2.5 oz, so I'm going to guess that a slow retrieve over sand, just keeping the spoon above the bottom, will try next time I,m at the coast.  cheers :tkx: 

Offline BJR

  • Ben
  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 438
  • Cred: 13
  • Gender: Male
  • When Fishing , SIZE does not matter !!
  • Location: MELMOTH - Zululand, KZN - SA
Re: Jenzen spoon
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 09:18:49 AM »
@ PHILTER.............as Kent said , an original kob spoon, but we had huge fun years ago not only with kob, but hunting shad.......used with a KP from the bricks & using the rod to whip it around & put some life into its action........it served me well.

 

Offline philter

  • Phil
  • Senior Member
  • **
  • Posts: 109
  • Cred: 3
  • Gender: Male
  • WishIcould
  • Location: Springs Gauteng
Re: Jenzen spoon
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 03:17:19 PM »
Thanks Ben,  :tkx:

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal