Author Topic: Surf spinning options close to Maputo  (Read 2302 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Nick A-S

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 41
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Joburg
Surf spinning options close to Maputo
« on: May 19, 2016, 11:35:07 AM »
Hi All. I am flying in to Maputo for work in a few weeks' time and was hoping to   extend my trip by a day or two and take a small spinning rod along. What are the   most viable options from Maputo?

Best to try and get to Inhaca / Santa   Maria? Or are there any options on the mainaland that aren't too far to drive. I   have done a fair amount of light tackle spinning in Southern Moz targetting   small kingies, wave garrick, queenfish etc etc from the shore and am keen to do   something similar close to Maputo. It seems a waste to go to Moz without taking   a fishing rod!

Thanks

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Surf spinning options close to Maputo
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 11:41:44 AM »
Your best bet would probably be Hell's Gate/Santa Maria...

Elsewhere (Calanga, etc), would mean driving at least 80 km... and you'd need a 4x4...

Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline L Hooker

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1330
  • Cred: 55
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Surf spinning options close to Maputo
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 09:34:59 AM »
I'd go across to Inhaca stay at Manico camp or else Santa Maria. There is still good shore based spinning of Portuguese Island next to Inhaca , was there in feb and caught yellow spot, bludger kings, needlescale from the shore of Portuguese island.

Offline FishStyx

  • Ultimate Champ
  • ****
  • Posts: 3007
  • Cred: 51
  • Gender: Male
  • I fish, therefore I am.
  • Location: Louist Trichardt, Limpopo
Re: Surf spinning options close to Maputo
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 10:41:56 AM »
I'd go across to Inhaca stay at Manico camp or else Santa Maria. There is still good shore based spinning of Portuguese Island next to Inhaca , was there in feb and caught yellow spot, bludger kings, needlescale from the shore of Portuguese island.


I stand to be corrected but I seem to remember that fishing from shore on Portuguese Island is not permitted. Lots of fun from a boat though where the currents meet on the spit.
Forgive me Father for I have spinned... It's been three weeks since my last cob session.

Offline L Hooker

  • Ultimate member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1330
  • Cred: 55
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Pretoria
Re: Surf spinning options close to Maputo
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 10:58:42 AM »
I'd go across to Inhaca stay at Manico camp or else Santa Maria. There is still good shore based spinning of Portuguese Island next to Inhaca , was there in feb and caught yellow spot, bludger kings, needlescale from the shore of Portuguese island.


I stand to be corrected but I seem to remember that fishing from shore on Portuguese Island is not permitted. Lots of fun from a boat though where the currents meet on the spit.
First I hear of that? Marcos?

Offline John F

  • Moderator
  • *****
  • Posts: 6563
  • Cred: 522
  • Gender: Male
  • Virtus et Honos
  • Location: Maputo - Mozambique
Re: Surf spinning options close to Maputo
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 11:07:42 AM »
There are some restrictions on the terrestrial reserve (the island per se)... not the surrounding waters.... so fishing is allowed... hence guys can spin off the boat. 
Acecraft 660 DV
Yeld cat 19 (Sold)
Gemini 520 Crusader (Sold)

Offline Nick A-S

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 41
  • Cred: 9
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Joburg
Re: Surf spinning options close to Maputo
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 01:45:45 PM »
Thanks for the input guys - I appreciate it. Will get a spoon in the water one way or another!
 

 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2026, SimplePortal