0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
The final reportI got back on Saturday - and the tally of fish caught after 6 days of fishing was as follows:In the small put and take dams - caught and released about 70 fish between 8 and 12 inches. I fished these dams (outside my front door)when I got up in the morning, when I walked back from the big dam and then when ever I was bored. I fished mainly a dry fly on a 2 wt - real fun, and it honed my accuracy casting. Took two for the pan - and when I gutted the one I found a plastic lure and a fly in its belly - see the picture....now who would want to try and catch such small fish with such a big (illegal for trout) lure?In the big dam I caught a total of 6 fish between 1,8 and 3kg. The fish were really healthy and strong - the 3 kg one took me into my backing - never had that happen in a dam before. I lost a number of fish as well - (fishing with a barbless hook). Most were caught on an olive beadhead wooly bugger - other flies just did not attract the fish. I fished the dam about 2-3 hours a day (from a boat). Only one picture to show (see below) - the wife wanted the camera to take pictures of birds and stuff and said that I have enough pictures of fish!Unfortunately, the rivers were really low and not flowing - even the protea junior trails being fished on the rivers last week did not manage to catch anything significantI cant wait for the rains and the subsequent settling of the rivers - then I will go back
interesting that the trout took the dropshot though...get's one thinking
Homie - not good ethics to catch trout other than on a fly! However - I do understand that camo worm is deadly for trout. I have a friend who did a "scientific" experiment with the camo worm and found that it was a very effective lure - not that it imitates anything specific - its more the gulp juice I think. And we know that REAL trout fishermen dont use plastic lures, juice or any other thing than a fly. The same friend has another favourite fly whcih he calls "Albany White" - basically white bread kneaded inot a dough ball.